/e/ Pie is out for FP2

disabled the /e/ store

thanks! how did you do that? I honestly do not like the fact that I cannot uninstall any of the Apps that they have by default. It’s a good selection but why don’t they give the user a choice to change sth.? Now I have 2 browsers, 2 App stores, 2 music players, 2 “message” apps in parallel :confused:

@Volker – thanks a lot!

For me the stock weather widget show a 4 days forecast.

Did you sing into an account in the stock weather app (i.e. “Create an account” in the OpenWeatherMap"-settings)?

…Maps…

I just saw in the 0.12 release notes that it was a bug that Maps did not appear on some phones.

A current microG version is expected with the next upgrade

well… it’s not in 0.12 :confused:
I am considering to patch it in to be able to use the exposure notification API. Does anybody have experiences with that? Does this clash with the next OTA update?

I haven’t checked everywhere in the world.

:rofl:

I would still be curious about the way UnifiedNlp works – does anybody know more? Does it need Internet connection to understand the cell tower and WiFi data? B/c, as I wrote above, they way it (apparently) used to work is that you download long, huge lists … but then it worked offline. This would be important to know when going where you might choose not to get mobile data but still want to use the phone for offline navigation.

And does anybody recall what is the “extra degoogleing” they did, compared to Lineage OS? I think that I read sth. along those lines but I am not sure. I am still contemplating whether to switch to LOS, b/c I do not appreciate the unremovable Apps and their weird move to make notifications disappear from the (ha!) notification bar.

Yes, feel free to create your backup and install documentation as a new topic in the Guides category. I can make it a wiki then.

OK, will do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Installation guide done – might still benefit from some polishing:)

2 Likes

No, I didn’t. When I go to the settings of the weather widget there’s “OpenWeatherMap” as source configured (maybe I did this some time and ago and this makes the difference?).

Yes, it’s still announced for mid of November as I mentioned last time (and the update came earlier). But sad that it is not there yet.

/e/ is e.g. not using the google servers to check a hotspot configuration (reachability of “internet”). But the main focus of /e/ is not to squeeze out the last bit of google code from LineageOS but to offer a privacy friendly OS to non-tech-savvy people.

Thanks for the guide!

Which launcher do you use? Bliss is not easy to tame. In my launcher, I just hid the /e/ store app.
But you can uninstall the /e/ apps with adb:
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 foundation.e.apps (I think it’s this command). You can find all of them in the /e/ forum.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

yes, bliss. I actually like the launcher (yes, obviously iOS-“inspired” and VERY restrictive with the layout options) but this is regardless of the default apps, right? just hiding the store would not help against potential “conflicts” between their app store and F-Droid (thinking about updates)?

Thanks for the link to the /e/ forum. I am contemplating whether to stick with /e/ and work around their restrictions (using such “drastic” measures) or switch to LOS after all. That is also why I asked about the “further degoogleing” of /e/.

You can just deny internet access for “apps” if you’re concerned here.

2 Likes

I don’t have any conflicts — but the /e/ store has no internet access on my phone (thanks AFWall!)
And I think on the /e/ forum you can find more information about the degoogeling.

Cheers!

AFWall is good. But not really needed in this case. You can just remove internet permission in the app settings of any app.

4 Likes

Just to mention: to simply disable network access, you can do it in App info→Mobile Data and Wifi→Disable network access. No need for AFWall for simple network disabling (of course I understand if AFWall suits your needs better).

Edit: @Volker was a minute faster :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Volker, sorry to reply so late, I waited to travel more to see how the DB Streckenagent works. The “Ing banking to go” app works fine in Lineage_MicroG as well, now that I lost my reservations in using Aurora store. I can see how busy you are replying and helping everywhere in this forum - THANK YOU! The same can be said for AnotherElk, I will mention it to him separately.

5 Likes

Hi all,

Many thanks for the guide, it helped me install /e/ on my fairphone 2. Works great right now, and happy to finally got a most recent android version…

Just for info, about the sideload operation : I had the same problem (sideload failed on zip verification), but I solved it by using the 3.2.3.0 version of TWRP as mentioned in the install doc here.

Merry christmas and happy new year

4 Likes

does anybody know how to get around the issue that /e/, after updating (to 0.13), asks to set up the SD card again?
There are data on the card and I just want to keep using it as “external” but /e/ wants me to make a choice and both options will end up with the sd card being formatted. :thinking:

Can’t you just swipe the message away? I think I had something similar with Lineage on FP2 quite some time ago and I ignored that message.

5 Likes

ha! yes, after dismissing it and rebooting the device the SD card is accessible with the file browser again. thanks :blush:

6 Likes

Looking at

Build Status dev

Source: Info about Fairphone FP2 - FP2
I got the feeling, that /e/ for the FP2 is not stable yet, but still a development build. Thus I was wondering when a stable release might be available. Now I recognized that for all devies the channel “dev” is stated. Could someone with more /e/-internal knowledge than me enlighten me please. :slight_smile:

And btw coming from an encrypted FP Open OS, is there anything to consider for updating? I saw the update description in the forum here, which seems to not make any difference to a backup + factory reset and flash (if I have to back up and recover all app data manually anyway).

4 Likes

I am using /e/ everyday on my FP2, and think it’s really stable. Give it a try!

Cheers!

4 Likes

Hi there,

same for me : using /e/ for a month now and I found it very stable… more than FairPhone Open OS that I used before. Everything works as expected.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: /e/ Q is out for FP2

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.