/e/ (formerly Eelo) first beta is here and it supports FP2!

Hi @oli.sax

you can use Signal to send and receive SMS too. You can later choose if you want to exchange data messages with a specific contact rather than SMS. Unfortunately you cannot choose per message. Install other messengers using SMS like QKSMS in case and choose them as default at first run. There are messengers in F-Droid for encrypted SMS as well.

2 Likes

The OS itself is stable… just some new things are not fully polished, yet.
Like the launcher asked to turn on location on every reboot (for the weather widget), the file synchronization shows a message on every upload (debug), files get uploaded twice, file sync eats up data … I didn’t use the sync since the very beginnning, so maybe some stuff is fixed already…
Those things are work in progress.

2 Likes

The last few days I tested /e/ on an Austrian Fairphoner’s demo phone and I’m quite impressed.

It’s great for people who are privacy aware and like freedom, but:

• want an OS that works like G%§$e Android or iOS without any modifications or hacks
  • want to cloud-sync all their data
  • don’t want the useless vanilla android apps preinstalled
  • don’t mind still sending some data to G%§$e
  • for some reason like an iOS style launcher

For me personally it’s not the right fit right now, because on standard Lineage OS I have more freedom:

• no proprietary maps app preinstalled
  • no microG sending data to G%§$e by default

I posted a longer review on the /e/ forum.

10 Likes

Seems like the second beta is coming soon:

3 Likes

If they managed to get rid of the network standby battery drain issue, it might be worth the switch from LOS+microG to /e/OS :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve installed version e-0.1-201811212056-nightly-FP2 following instruction at https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/wiki/en/wikis/device/FP2/install. Installation was easy and it seems to run perfectly.

4 Likes

In the instructions I don’t see where to save the downloaded .img and .zip files for the commands to find them?

Put the .img into the directory on the PC where you have fastboot installed (resp. where you start the command).
Put the.zip (according to step 8.) on the root of /sdcard (on the phone).
You might also ask any /e/ specific question in the /e/ user forum.

1 Like

Hi @Volker,
So, what do you think after 2 months? Are you satisfied? Is /e/ an OS that could be installed on a phone for someone with few skills (one’s parents for example…)?

1 Like

For me /e/ really works fine and very stable! So I’m satisfied and I’m planning to stay with it.
Honestly for someone with few skills (one’s parents for example…) I wouldn’t currently recommend it as

• It’s still a beta and I wouldn’t recommend beta versions for less skilled people
  • It’s (currently) based on nightly updates and I suppose less skilled people won’t like the frequent updates
  • Afaik it’s still not clear if there will be an automatic update to 0.2 once it’s available for FP2. So the update may be challenging.
8 Likes

Nice! Do you know something about when they plan to roll out 0.2 Version?

As you will find at https://community.e.foundation/t/will-tablets-eventually-be-supported/2058/2 the /e/ team is currently busy with the development and testing for version 1.0 release which is due in February 2019.

Maybe there is news from this side concerning the shutdown process.
Does /e/ also need the flashlight trick?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but /e/ 0.1 is based on lineageOS 14 and so has the same problems.
To, answer the question: yes, the flashlight has to be turned on for shutdown and for update (for being sure twrp is started correctly).

1 Like

The /e/ community were the ones who reported this workaround :wink: … before that for us it was powering down from TWRP or from the decryption password prompt, or removing the battery …

5 Likes

Once version 1.0 is here it might really be interesting for “one’s parents for example”. Among other reasons one may be that it’s supposed to come with an integrated app store providing lots of common apps (of course without the need for Google play):

So the use of this sounds easy…

1 Like

That would be great if they really have a lot of apps and if you don’t have to download special apps with another store. I can imagine that it will be difficult to have all the national/regional apps: on the link you sent, some people ask for example for apps for their local public transport.
I look forward to seeing version 1.0!

2 Likes

Hi
I’ve tested /e/ a bit and the new update messed things up again, and I think I want to switch back to LOS+microG
Should it be easy as in wiping the system and installing LOS+microG?
Should be the same as coming from LOS14.1 upgrading to LOS 15.1, right?
Normally a clean flash would be the savest way of course, but would be nice if the app data etc. will be preserved.
Opinions?
Thanks and cheers!

Some ideas why it may be wise to install /e/:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 183 days. New replies are no longer allowed.