/e/ for FP3 (Google free OS)

A dream came true :heart_eyes:

1 Like

My ePhone works as intended. :yum:

Not everyone can say that…

Gaël from /e/ was thinking about something else when the video was shot. He always looks around so dreamily.

1 Like

I liked it when Agnes said she was happy to get an alternative OS which her father could use. I think I will try out /e/ as well.

4 Likes

Well, the /e/ OS for the Fairphone perfectly works. I am waiting for a Fairphone Kali Nethunter Kernel. Very sad :frowning: wanna be crazy doing HID attacks with phone. Bash bunny 140$ and more…

I am using the /e/ OS already some time and the only problem is that the threema messenger must be bought on the threema shop because it is not in the store. The /e/ OS is a perfect operating system (except their launcher) that adds also more feautures to the phone.

Just wondering why it isn’t preinstalled. But there was a poll…

1 Like

It can be preinstalled, if you want … Smartphones – Murena – deGoogled phones and services.

Link, please?

A post was merged into an existing topic: :de: Interessante Artikel/Links zu Fairphone und fairer Elektronik

in october 2021 i upgraded from my beloved FP1 - still working fine after 7 years, but due to software upgrades i was finally forced to part with it. i purchased the FP3+ and was a bit shocked to discover that it comes with google play preinstalled and impossible to remove - at least, i couldn’t work out how to.
but the good news is, i was easily able to install /e/ and become completely google free. i did this before setting anything else up on the new phone & have found everything very straight-forward & good. thanks /e/!

6 Likes

Hello.

After 2 years using my Fairphone 3 and happy with it, I decided to pass on /e/OS.
At the beginning, the first version I was on, the 0.19q Stable, had problems with MMS and some alarms didn’t work sometimes randomly.
But now, with the 0.20q Stable, those problems are gone (for me) and I’m satisfied with the OS at the moment. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Why should i trust /e/ any more than google or microsoft with an online account and cloud storage? In fact i would trust them more about not being hacked. The account requirement ruins it for me.

There is no account required, this is something that can but must not be used or setup, not sure where you get this information from

1 Like

The /e/ account is not mandatory
BUT, the complete /e/ philosophy and ecosystem is build on that ecosystem.

If you skip this step during setup or if you delete the /e/ account after setup you have nothing left then a very outdated LineageOS with old microG and outdated forked apps.

In this case, if you don’t want to use the /e/ ecosystem it is much better to use directly a other custom ROM like LineageOS for itself, LineageOS4microG or iodé.

/e/OS doesn’t really make sense anymore and doesn’t bring you any advantages. Quite the opposite

Thus /e/ is entirely useless because it defeated its own privacy claim.

The system is made for people who want to use a system with more or less no Google but do need it easy to set up and like easy back up ect. So no its not useless in general and you are welcome to use something that fits your needs better.

3 Likes

You dont seem to understand the argument at all. De-googling is more than removing google. Its about removing all account and cloud services. Forcing a user on a different cloud setup defeats the purpose of de-googling as it still invades your privacy for multiple reasons.

Could you please calm yourself down a bit? You may think you are an expert and your opinion is the only truth, but I’m sure its not. You are welcome to discuss Pros and Cons, but please accept there are other use cases and opinions out there.

So again: no one forces you to set up an account when installing e/OS,.

6 Likes

Go ahead and discuss this in the /e/ forum. But be sure, it will take only one day and you will get banned :wink:
Or discuss these fundamental issues in a security forum. There you can argue with many others for days about the sense or nonsense.

I don’t understand what your goal is here.
What do you want to achieve?
Everything has already been said, right?

As yvmuell has already said, no one is forcing you to do anything.

3 Likes

Go ahead and discuss this in the /e/ forum. But be sure, it will take only one day and you will get banned :wink:

Surely I will get banned for exposing them selling a false sense of security? Standard practice these days,

I don’t understand what your goal is here.

Simple, determine whether or not i should install /e/ on my FP4 when I decide to buy one because i dont want google. Or get the one already preinstalled with it. So far with the information and replies i got its a no.

You may think you are an expert

Are personal attacks allowed here?
Unless you have experience building custom hardened kernels or patching out backdoors in intel CPUs you should not try and start this kind of conversation with someone that does.