/e/ for FP3 (Google free OS)

… and besides the few information shared on that source of the quote, the only information about the people or organisations behind cleanapk.org, which I find is their registrar via whois as any impressum or similar is unfortunately missing …

Parsed domain name: cleanapk.org
Domain name extension: .org
Estimated domain age: 604 day(s)
Contact email: abuse@support.gandi.net
Registrar name: Gandi SAS
Registar Internet Assigned Numbers Authority ID: 81
Record update dates
Created date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 11:17:29 GMT
Updated date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 11:17:29 GMT
Registry data
Created date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 16:59:26 GMT
Updated date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 15:43:59 GMT
Expires date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 16:59:26 GMT
Domain’s registrant
State: 11
Country code: FR
Parsed domain name: cleanapk.org
Name servers
Host names
ns-212-a.gandi.net
ns-73-c.gandi.net
ns-175-b.gandi.net
Domain EPP status codes by ICANN list: clientTransferProhibited
Record update dates
Created date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 11:17:29 GMT
Updated date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 11:17:29 GMT
Custom field name 1: RegistrarContactEmail
Custom field value 1: abuse@support.gandi.net
Registrar name: Gandi SAS
Registar Internet Assigned Numbers Authority ID: 81
Custom field name 2: RegistrarContactPhone
Custom field name 3: RegistrarURL
Custom field value 2: +33.170377661
Custom field value 3: http://www.gandi.net
WHOIS server: whois.gandi.net

Whereby /e/ does not quite tell the truth about program sources in the documentation. MagicEarth comes from pureapk.

Some year(s) ago cleanapk also had a writing “repository for /e/” or something like that. It cannot be completely unknown there.

Edit: https://community.e.foundation/t/where-do-apps-come-from/5287/31

3 Likes

Thanks, this worked much more smoothly than I had expected!

1 Like

Well, everyone has to decide himself what level of trust he grants to any OS or app.
/e/ works very well but my decision was very clear when I read the answers in the /e/forum and especially from Gael /e/support:

https://community.e.foundation/t/article-on-e-in-a-german-it-security-blog-e-eine-datenschutzfreundliche-android-alternative/19093/14

“…no other realistic choices at the moment…”

If it is not realistic to create an OS with the really admirable easy useage of /e/ but with unclear origin of the basis I stopped using /e/ and will come back if /e/ uses only F-Droid and Aurora, if necessary. Everyone who needs Aurora can install it himself.

Don’t unserstand me wrong. /e/ did a good job and it run on my phone better than Lineage but they have to clarify the .apk item.

A mixture of /e/ with installer, easy handling and Lineage privacy would be ideal.

2 Likes

So I understand right that it’s more a priciple decision for you? As you’re free to not use “Apps” but only F-Droid and Aurora when using /e/…

2 Likes

You may not have noticed yet, but I managed to make use of Andy Yan’s LineageOS 17.1 GSI work to provide builds for the FP3, which include microG, F-Droid and AuroraServices for easy installing of Aurora: [ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS-GSI 17.1 for FP3 . I plan to upload OTA updates once a month.
For me and my FP3 this solution is fine, however, as you say “everyone has to decide himself what level of trust he grants to any OS or app.” - an official Lineage or Fairphone build would be much better, but unfortunately it’s not really on the horizon yet.

5 Likes

I have updated mine twice using the instructions here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/ota.html#devices-with-ab-partitions. My problem is that I don’t seem able to lock the bootloader without corrupting the phone.

You can have root on your phone or a closed bootloader, not both.
Maybe in the future, if another distro which allow root by default start support fp3.

2 Likes

This is right and I did it when using /e/. My concern are the apps which are included in the system. I tried to find out whether there are system apps adapted from apk.pure and clean.apk but this question was not answered.

Anyway, many thanks:

Good job.
I am now waiting for the offical Lineage OS and keep my fingers crossed for further development of /e/. I think the situation concerning data sent by system will become clearer if anybody will make a recording of data /e/ sends to the net.

That strikes me as a major drawback of /e/. They don’t have to make it easy to root the phone and have a closed bootloader if they think the average user might brick the phone, and won’t need it anyway. But it should be possible!

There’s a new video out about the cooperation between Fairphone and /e/.
I guess most of it is already known to us but I assume it could be passed to others who don’t know about /e/ and/or Fairphone yet.

11 Likes

Nice. I’ll take a look at it tonight. :slight_smile:

A dream came true :heart_eyes:

1 Like

My ePhone works as intended. :yum:

Not everyone can say that…

Gaël from /e/ was thinking about something else when the video was shot. He always looks around so dreamily.

1 Like

I liked it when Agnes said she was happy to get an alternative OS which her father could use. I think I will try out /e/ as well.

4 Likes

Well, the /e/ OS for the Fairphone perfectly works. I am waiting for a Fairphone Kali Nethunter Kernel. Very sad :frowning: wanna be crazy doing HID attacks with phone. Bash bunny 140$ and more…

I am using the /e/ OS already some time and the only problem is that the threema messenger must be bought on the threema shop because it is not in the store. The /e/ OS is a perfect operating system (except their launcher) that adds also more feautures to the phone.

Just wondering why it isn’t preinstalled. But there was a poll…

1 Like

It can be preinstalled, if you want … Smartphones – Murena – deGoogled phones and services.

Link, please?

A post was merged into an existing topic: :de: Interessante Artikel/Links zu Fairphone und fairer Elektronik