/e/ for FP3 (Google free OS)

adb restore did not work for me (no data recovered). Maybe that was because I have no root access on both phones. I modified the complete ab-file so that I would restore only one app, but that did not work as well. (But maybe I should have read the guide because I did not include/change any file-lists)

I could transfer few apps with helium in a very tedious work and contacts and SMS via MyPhoneExplorer. Whatsapp (and other messengers) offer a backup-file to transfer settings and chat-protocols. But in general I’m in the lucky situation that I want to transfer data prom an old phone to FP3, so I’m sure no data is lost…

Edit: at least for single app backup it works, so the filelist is really important.

Well if you are using exchange you can’t have privacy, that’s a microsoft project.

1 Like

It is exchange like, but it runs on Linux. It is called kopano.

Just installed and that was really quick, the process is really safe so the risk to brick your device is really near 0 but the 0 risk doesn’t exist so I invite you to don’t be afraid by the flash.

Just one thing: If you’re experiencing some issue to connect on wifi, then do not forget to turn off the DNS server of your ISP and keep the one provided by default , Quad9.

My first impressions are really good, their launcher is far from what could appreciate the Android universe but I agree with their bet to focus on efficiency and professional looking.

I need some extra time to do my confirmed conclusions on the OS, but if my good impressions are confirmed then I hope they will pursue their closed partnership with FP and why not proposed their OS as start of day 1 for FP4 ?

Can anyone explain to me the warning shown on the /e/ installation page?

Warning : Do not attempt to downgrade your smartphone in case you are on Android Q / LOS 17.0 or Android Pie / LOS 16.x.

Downgrading a device from Q or Pie to Oreo or Nougat operating system can cause your device to brick and become unusable.

FP3 ships with Android Pie, but how is the downgrade to Oreo or Nougat relevant if we’re installing /e/ ?

3 Likes

Just a little update /e/ is working very fine so far. The message LEDs are also working.

What I have not tried yet:

GPS (route planning),
Blutoothconnect to my car-audio

2 Likes

I use it too, and I like it a lot. Real google free :slight_smile: (I was also on the alpha test).

It’s my opinion to notice after increased battery consumption, but I’m sure that will be patched out.

mcdaniels: GPS works for me.

1 Like

I had a somewhat obscure battery drain from the start, it was looking better after a factory reset.
Today Android’s optimisation seems to kick in, it’s really looking good today.

1 Like

That’s my third day with /e/ on board and I’m still impressed by the quality of the ROM: Really, if you could find any inconveniences to the default OS, move on /e/ before do any decisions to go back on another device.

The phone became really another one, only for the improved fingerprint reader that deserves some efforts!

Style no improvements when trying to use multi-touch with the phone sits on soft surface, so that confirms this problem is related to phone design

1 Like

This message has been taken from other branches of /e/, which are based on Nougat.
The fp3 branch of /e/ is based on LOS16, which is Pie, so this message is not relevant here.
I’ve seen a discussion about this on /e/ forum. They are aware of it and will fix it.

2 Likes

for me, the battery usage is much better compared to the “original” rom.

I think it is depending on how good you “scan” your fingerprint during initial setup.

Definitely not, I did it several times, had to scan multiple times the same finger to have the best possible result.

But now, had to do scan one time and I’m facing no more reject.

The ROM really changed my phone, and I invite anybody who could experience software inconvenience to move on /e/

Yes, I fully agree! I’m no wizzkid (50+ nurse) but with help from this community it took me 90 minutes last Sunday to make things works. These last few days I feel so relieved! Now Google is not watching my every step anymore, and my FP3 s like new, it works smooth and flawlessly.
So yes, do give /e/ a try, for sure before you decide to switch phone’s.
I really think FP3 & /e/ is a great team.

6 Likes

How is the camera quality with /e/? Is it similar to the quality with the default os?

I have now used Helium by ClockWorkMod. It cannot backup apps because of

This is true for Telegram, WhatsApp, Slack, Fennec, etc.

Also, restoring of APKs doesn’t work, only app data.

The quality is pretty same, but Open Camera has more options on board.

So at the end, you should have better results.

Not sure this is so true. As you mentioned Open Camera: for me it crashes on /e/ for non-STD modes, while e.g. HDR works on stock ROM.

Is push notification working for you ?

Yes, but it can be disabled in the global “swipe down” menu (I don’t know how it is called on android ^^’). Check if the bell is activated to get them (It can be hidden, check the :pencil2:) . Or desactivate the “Do Not Disturb” mode ^^ Screenshot_20200508