Dual SIM 4G problem

Hi everyone,

I have 2 SIM cards for my FP2, one from “Ben” in the Netherlands, where I live, and one from EE in the UK. Both are 4G. It’s really handy to have both and be able to choose which you use for data, calls etc! However, when I have both SIMs installed my Dutch SIM always reverts to EDGE.

From the previous discussion - Dual Sim 4G - One sim limited to “Edge” - it should be possible to get round this problem by limiting the UK SIM card to 2G. But, I don’t have this option in settings - I can only choose 3G or 4G. I’ve disabled the data on that card but I still don’t get 4G on the Dutch SIM… Any suggestions?

1 Like

Maybe your UK provider simply doesn’t offer 2G?

Could be, if that were the case is there any possible workaround?

Not really. You could completely disable the UK Sim card to use 4g on the other one, but then you can’t be reached on that Sim via calls either.

OK, I may have found a workaround: if I disable (deactivate) the UK SIM, then restart the phone, I get 4G back on my Dutch SIM. If I then re-activate the UK SIM, I still have 4G on the Dutch SIM, and both SIMs working.

I’ll see how ‘stable’ this is - but for the moment it’s good enough. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

It seems you’re still on Android 6? If you have any more questions, don’t forget to mention your Android version / Fairphone OS version.

I’m not sure whether 7 would solve your problem, though. The option to deactivate a SIM has been removed.

By the way, EE should have a 2G service. Three UK doesn’t.

Yes, still Android 6.0.1.

I’m not sure whether 7 would solve your problem, though. The option to deactivate a SIM has been removed.

I saw this - I think I’ll wait a bit to upgrade and see if this gets fixed.

By the way, EE should have a 2G service. Three UK doesn’t.

When I’m in the Netherlands though, the EE SIM connects to T-mobile - maybe they don’t provide 2G in Netherlands? This would explain why I didn’t get the problem in the UK, though!

T-Mobile does, and probably you can roam on other networks as well? Only Tele2 has no 2G here.

T-Mobile does

Hm, then I don’t know why I can’t select 2G, perhaps I’ll have to contact EE. So far I couldn’t select any other network to roam on.

For the moment though, the workaround is working OK!

If I recall correctly, there is a bug (both in Android 6 and 7) that affects some, but not all, users where the 2G option isn’t visible as an option in SIM settings for some SIM cards (even though it it can be set via workarounds such as the one you mention).

OK so the workaround (Dual SIM 4G problem) seems pretty stable, including keeping the 4G working in the UK and after return to the Netherlands. So I think we can mark this closed now, thanks for all your help!

I tried the above solution on PF LineageOS 7.1. Didn’t work. What fixed the problem was:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.