Dual boot / open source

Hi,

I’m a happy fairphone-user.
Wondering if there are thoughts to make e.g. a dual boot version (is that possible? - I’m not technically active with this kind of stuff) with an open source OS alongside Android.
I’m getting scared of Google’s growing monopoly and thus power and thus lock-in and won’t mind having an alternative :wink:

cheers,
Cor

3 Likes

Hi @cornouws

I do understand your idea of dual booting, but I think this isn’t quite manageable for a phone to have two complete standalone OS’s. For example: there is always a partition used to store your OS and I think it’s very difficult -if not impossible- to make multiple startup partitions as they are called.

Kind regards,

Robin

Hi,

there are no plans at the moment as far as I know.

Just take a look at a similar topic here.

Greetings

Tom

At least there were two partitions before the Storage Update which came with Cherry 1.6. So I guess it is indeed possible to have two OS on one phone.

But storage reserved to store your OS is not just ‘regular’ storage …

Furthermore: why would you want to dual boot your phone? It seems a bit impractical because a phone is something I use to quickly reply to something, connect with someone or to search for something. Changing your OS would not be very fast, and not handy. Are there any specific reasons why you would want a secondary OS?

As of me, I would just like it out of curiosity. I would like to try AOSP without removing FPOS.

I found this interesting link about the approaches concerning dual boot.

Similar question: Is it possible to use other OSes in something like a virtual machine on Android? Has somebody experiences with that?

For me no curiosity. Monopolies are not fair. So FairPhone offering a free and open OS, isn’t even a statement :wink:

3 Likes

Here’s a great quote on dual booting a phone from an ArsTechnica article:

Don’t you just love setting up your smartphone? Entering
account details, downloading apps, putting all the settings just the way
you like them? Isn’t this experience so wonderful that you want to do
it twice?

Wouldn’t the smartphone experience just be so much better if it had
two entirely different sets of apps? Apps that couldn’t talk to each
other, didn’t even acknowledge each other’s existence? Apps that burn up
the already limited smartphone storage?

And who doesn’t relish the opportunity to reboot their smartphone several times a day to switch between operating systems?

[…]

I can’t help but feel that this is a solution that essentially nobody
wants. Dual-booting is inconvenient at the best of times, as you
inevitably end up in the wrong operating system for the task at hand,
regardless of which operating system you’re currently using. Add in the
wasted disk space, the time wasted rebooting, and the overall
complexity, and it’s hard to believe that such a thing is truly coming
to market.

2 Likes

Very humorous! :slight_smile:

Probably it wouldn’t be of much use. But still I don’t want to buy a second smartphone but it would still be nice to just play around a bit on an OS which is not for everyday use, in addition to the ordinary one.