Does the FP3 *NEED* an FM radio?

Just to confirm are you referring to the FP3 which has been out for two years? or the new FP4 which also doesn’t have FM radio?

2 Likes

Guess what, I found the Fairphone 4 listed with an FM tuner, but this was already wrong for the Fairphone 3. What I’ve learned: Do not trust any listing and do some research yourself.

2 Likes

sometime ago, I thought I had heard FP3 had radio capability. But right now I’m talking about the FP4

But then you are in the wrong thread :slightly_frowning_face:.

5 Likes

Hi, haven’t been in this forum for a long time, back today, and just want to take the opportunity to say that I miss the FM radio every day.
I go for long walks and sometimes like to listen to the radio but have the phone switched off so I don’t get calls and messages. FM would be ideal. Peace of mind.

2 Likes

With a DND setting (Do not disturb) it should possible to listen to online music, and to music stored on the phone anyway.

Yes, of course music, but I want to listen to RADIO programmes, news, features, discussions etc., not just music.

1 Like

And these stations are not sending a live stream?

Hi again

Yes it would be nice to have a radio so I can listen without a network or wifi. I can dream.

5 Likes

@Incanus
yes they do, I just want to be able to listen without being online.

3 Likes

And I want a horse :wink: .
What’s the problem of being online? That’s what the phone is made for. You can take care, as I mentioned, that noone can reach or disturb you.

What’s the problem of not wanting to be online all the time?
Every smartphone has many functions for offline use (camera, torch, ebook reader, calendar etc. etc. etc.) - why don’t you just accept that for some people an FM radio is one of them? thank you.

1 Like

I can accept, but can you accept a different opinion? A phone can’t cover all use cases. It has no cigarette lighter or can opener.
But basically, I just wanted to offer you a possibility for achieving your desired ‘peace of mind’ without having to switch off the online radio station, that’s all.

This is getting too mansplainy now on your part to be helpful. If I listen to the radio via a livestream as I have to do now since FP does NO LONGER offer FM then I am online, and all the online stuff incl. mails and messages happen.
When you talk of can opener and cigarette lighter you seem to ridicule the topic. FP1 - and many other mobile before - had the FM. There was no sound reason really to stop it.
You seem to think the FP3 shouldn’t have an FM radio. OK. I get that. But what is there to accept about your opinion? If there are people who want it and have good reasons, what’s the point of your No No No? There are a lot of things in a phone / FP I personally don’t need (e.g. the finger print thing) but I don’t go about telling people that I don’t need and and they should use other ways for identification.
Would it bother you if the FM was brought back to FP3 FP4? No? So what are you arguing about?

2 Likes

No reason to be rude.

It costs money and resources. For maybe a good handful of people using it. Whereas a finger print sensor makes sense for security reasons.

And again, I only wanted to show you that you can stay away of all messages and mails and other online stuff, but still listen to online radio stations. But you are not open for existing solutions so keep wishing your FM radio.

1 Like

Hi Ruth

Let’s hope each of us can accept one thing ~ it’s not happening on the FP3 and there’s none on the FP4.

Definitely disappointing, so that can go in my big rucksack of disappointments I carry all day.

But as I get older and more frail I just wish these disappointments weren’t so heavy.

Still the fair trade side of the phone lifted a lot of weight.

The disabled FM tuner is still the only thing I hate about the FP3. It is really a retro technology now and I often use streaming anyway, but I have to use data volume now when a perfectly strong FM signal would be available. Without the app “FM cube” it would even be much more, official streams often have quite a high bitrate.

I guess no one is interested, you just hear “you don’t need this bulls*** anyway” until this date. Otherwise someone might have figured out a hardware hack / fix to enable it. (And I still have an old Samsung Galaxy S3 if I want a mobile FM radio).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.