Do we get control over flight mode again in Android 6.0?

I see why you would use it, but I just turn on the phone myself when I wake up, I don’t need an app for that. My schedule is often too irregular to let the phone do it by itself, unless it could be synced with the alarm or something like that. I do not recall anybody else asking for this feature on the forum, and that is why I called it a small part of the FP users.

5 Likes

Well, no, you understand nothing :-/

The question is absolutely not about having the phone on silent. Many apps can do it.
The question is about flight mode, and not being bombarded by radio waves all night long every night, BUT, still being able to get urgent phone calls in the morning WITHOUT having to wake up only in order to switch the phone out off flight mode.

And there is no “stock version”, so a simple basic control function will not be such an heavy load for Fairphone to do.

Well, here’s a nice (or not) video that checks some boxes of what you want to do as long as it isn’t doable more easily.

2 Likes

Yep, and when the very first one asked for SMS function to be implemented in our phones back then you would also argue that “I do not recall anybody else asking for this feature before” therefore it must not be very usefull :slight_smile:

Look at what a phone as powerfull as a computer should be able to do, not only at what it has been doing so far. And an automated flight mode function, linked with the alarm if you want (even better), is a must in a modern phone. Much more usefull than lots of apps or functions.

EXCELLENT ! Thank you for that information AnotherElk.

Now, seeing that there are even youtube videos about how to find (very complicated) ways to automate this basic function, it definitely prove, if still needed, that there is a real need and expectations for such a function.

Between the ones who choose to root and the others who use this Tasker+FRep workaround that makes enough peoples trying to find a way to this missing function. Basic function that customers having a Samsung or another brand get automatically without having to fight for it !

Now, for the ones who think those workarounds are easy and enough, then try to explain your mother how to do it over the phone :-). If you can’t, then that’s definitely not that easy for 99% of the crowd :slight_smile:

Hmmm … if you really wanted to take YouTube as any indication, then less than 3.000 views, 23 likes and a dozen or so comments at the moment don’t really convice me that you are on to something there and that there’s a big fat petition in favour of this feature out there for everybody to see. Is my frame of reference off?
And then according to video and comments at least LG and Samsung are ruled out as champions of choice in this matter, so who exactly is providing that feature with which models?

I’m all for a lot of features and settings to fiddle around with though, so the best of luck to you :wink: .

2 Likes

Well your frame of reference is just not taking in account a very important fact: Only the most motivated geek users are taking the time to search on youtube for such an information. Do you think that all the good familly fathers and mothers who do switch their phone flight mode every single evening and morning do bother going to search the web for a way to automate this function ? No way :slight_smile:
On the million person to whom this function would be usefull only the very few technical ones are visible on these stats.

And that is a fact because … you say so. I know, I know, the post-factual age and stuff, don’t get me started :slight_smile: … I’m pretty happy with my frame of reference.

Yours truly, apparently as a fact one of the most motivated geek users, simply was waiting for a backup to finish momentarily and was curious about what the internet would have to say about this automated setting in the meantime, and then it took him some seconds hacking “android scheduling flight mode” into Google and the video was a result on the first results page, else he couldn’t be bothered because his backup was just finishing up, but then of course he test ran the video, was put off by the annoying use of music, so tried to jump to some points in it to halfway confirm this could be useful and it looked really promising and that was it.

So fact-check: Either AnotherElk is just a lazy bum and found the video nonetheless and your fact is not a fact, or motivation as a concept is in a very sorry state of affairs.

Anyway, does that workaround even work?

But TV towers (which are also emitting radio waves) are now existing for decades, and sometimes (Berlin, Schwerin) they are in a highly-populated area. If radio waves are that harmful, there surely is a study confirming that (like comparing cancer rates of people next to a TV tower/with no TV tower nearby).

The phone is not permanently emitting radio waves at the highest level (as this would not be very battery-friendly), but only when it’s needed (like the mail program checking for new mail or the regularly sent sign of life to the mobile tower) and only at a level the base station can still “hear” the phone.

And what would you do during daytime? Then you will still be “shot” by radio waves. (And if you wear the phone inside a jacket, you will receive higher levels of radio waves than from the phone next to your bed.)

Which phones from other companies have a flight mode timer or even a scheduled flight mode?

But there are other feature requests which can also be useful every day. And security and stability problems (which should primarily be fixed) bother us every day, too.

2 Likes

Mouhahahahahah so do you imagine basics users doing what you were doing ? :-))))))
Be realistic, they won’t !
So yes, it is a FACT that any basic users do not go google search for ways to implement a function on their phone. How do I know ? Because I see how the hundreds peoples I teach basic computing skills or advance smartphone use behave. They want it to work easily, that’s it. “Mums and dads” working all day do not bother seraching the web for such workaround like you did. They even don’t do a backup like you did :slight_smile: so imagine…
So open your frame of reference to peoples that are outside yourself.

What are you affraid of ? That your phone bugs won’t be solved because Fairphone would put all its available ressources on this feature request ? Be serious. So why are you taking time to write such comment to try to minimize the need of this function ?
If you don’t find it usefull then leave it to people who understand the need for it. And don’t worry bug solving will always be the priority for Fairphone :slight_smile:

Ok, i’m not an extremist who want to fight against radio waves all around. I know there are and I accept them from the moment I choose to use a cell phone.
But, it is only using intelligence to understand the advantage of cutting those radio waves all night long (almost half a day) and thus reducing the radiations almost by half simply by the use of a flight mode function.
We are not talking about a one day or one week timeframe here. A 365 days usage and this for years ! If you can’t understand, too bad for you. Again leave to the ones who understand the matter.

@Bluemate, please calm down. People are trying to help you over here. They offer solutions to your problem, but apparently you are only interested in an integration of your request in the Fairphone OS. No need to attack them.

2 Likes

Obviously Fairphone doesn’t see the need for such a function, unfortunately!
Research to electromagnetic radiation say, it doesn’t matter, but others say, it does. Therefor I really would like to reduce electromagnetic radiation if possible anyhow.
In the first ediion of the FP2 there was a similar function, called ‘quickboot’. You could leave the phone switched off over night and switched on in the morning automatically. This function caused reboot issues at my and other phones and in the end my phone had to be exchanged. Later on Fairphone decided to switch off this function to get rid of the issue instead of setting it up properly, unfortunately.
I fear, we will not get it back with following updates later on.

1 Like

danielsjohan, I’m perfectly calm. And where the hell do you see attacks ?!? Can’t belive you wrote such thing.
I’ve done a very clear and simple request for a feature. Not for any very complicated workaround that would be usefull to about 0.01% of the extremelly motivated geek users.
Requesting a feature is not only thinking about oneself, but how this would be used by the thousands of standard basic users. And this particular point is apparentely difficult to have people understand it.

Thank you for saying.

And again, for those who do not yet understand the need to cut the radiations at night, and wrongly think such a feature is not asked by many out there, just think about this… Why there has been DOZEN Apps who offer flight mode control in google play store ? :slight_smile:

Plus dozen others who integrated this function in their control app like Tasker ? :slight_smile:

Are all those people just idiots or maybe are you just looking at it with the wrong glasses ?

Just saying…

4 Likes

I do understand the need of a flight mode timer/scheduler. It has not only the effect of reduced radiation, but is also battery-saving and you won’t be disturbed.

What I do not understand, is why this is an urgent issue which should be solved with the highest priority. You can turn on/off the flight mode in the meantime with four swipes & one tap.

What I understand, is that electromagnetic radiation is not beneficial for us and our bodies and that unnecessary radiation should be avoided (like placing the Wi-Fi router right next to the bed).

What I do not understand, is why the radiation from mobile phones, especially a non-permanent exposure for a few seconds every few minutes, is severely harmful.

1 Like

This is leading nowhere.

A feature request for this exists since January and it only has 6 votes, which is probably why it’s not high on FPs agenda.