Do we get control over flight mode again in Android 6.0?

Well, fp is not necessarily free to decide this… With fp os, they have to be Google compliant. With fp open os, there’s no hassle to activate root, there’s no Google dark dominance… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pffff… The message is not intended to you personally Mr paulakreuzer but to the people at Fairphone who will hopefully read it.

Wrong, they are free to decide this. Google give the right to phone builders to implement this option. Not to app builder but to phone builders.

Google has to certify releases of Android that are to be used with Play Store and other Google apps, so Fairphone is not entirely free here. Maybe it is possible but it would cost time and effort during certification, which may not be worth it given only a small part of the FP users actually need it.

Also, it appears to me the API has changed - so app builders don’t expect the option to be there on an Android 6 phone. Fairphone is probably too small of a market to build special apps for it.

2 Likes

Well send them a direct message. This forum is not the place to reach them.

2 Likes

It’s not that complicated :slight_smile:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-howto-root-with-superuser-for-fp-os-with-gms/12375

2 Likes

I don’t want to enter the debate regarding who is allowed/responsible for the (re-)introduction of this feature, because I have no idea…

However, I remember how nice it was on the FP1 to be able to switch the phone off/on in the evening/morning automatically. And even alarms worked when the phone was off: if the alarm was scheduled for before the regular switch-on time, then the FP1 would simply wake-up earlier than usual.

So I ask much the same question as @Bluemate: since the FP1 behaviour is impossible for now, why such a modern phone cannot simply be programmed to automatically enter/leave the flight mode at a defined time?

1 Like

While it does not save battery as much as flight mode does, Android 6 can be told to be silent until a certain time with the Do not disturb feature.

2 Likes

Well, i don’t t know this. You seem to. Then, as Paul said, open a support ticket. Otherwise you probably won’t reach them

The probability is not zero, but if you look for a promising place in this forum for your needs, perhaps Feature Requests is worth a try.

@Bluemate already posted that feature request on 22 January. No need of posting it again.

1 Like

Ah thanks, and sorry, I managed to overlook that.

Edit: As this thread is about Android 6.0 and @Bluemate’s request is in the Android 5.1 feature request list, perhaps it could be copied over to the Android 6.0 list?

1 Like

a) Fairphone has to look if that is technically possible. Because there is a root workaround, I would say yes, this is technically possible.
b) Fairphone has to look if a Google approval is possible with this feature.
c) Fairphone must have free capacity to develop and test this feature. I think they are developing firstly for things that matter many users (like security updates, bugfixes or new Android versions). If they have free capacities, they can look at alternative OSs or feature requests. As the feature requests are a really long list now and a second list was started, the developers should begin with the feature request with the most votes (likes). That means that you have to wait longer because your feature requests is obviously important for only 5 users (including me and you).
d) Maybe things go faster if you (or another person) volunteer for implementing this feature. Ask Fairphone (through support) if they accept volunteer contributions. That volunteer only needs some Android programming skills.

3 Likes

As I understand: you don’t want to be disturbed during certain hours and days of the week. If that is the case than does this work for you? You can switch of notifications and incoming calls during certain days and hours. Settings -> Sound & Notifications -> Interruptions. Explanation in the following link: https://gigaom.com/2014/11/17/silent-vibrate-do-not-disturb-android-priority-notifications/ This works for Android 5 and don’t know if its working for 6.

Flightmode has been changed by Google and yes FP could probably do something, but that would also make their version of Android less stock version; which could mean more work to apply all security updates every month.

1 Like

Albert, come on, how can you say such things as “only a small part of the FP users actually need it.” ???

In a world where everybody will be soon aware that radio waves are bad for our health it should be common sense that every users put his phone in flight mode at night and put it out of flight mode every morning. 365 days a year… and you donn’t want to have an automated function for that ??? It is not “special app” it is a basic function that other phone building companies have implemented. Basic as an alarm or a torch in any modern phone.

1 Like

Sending a message to inform them is the first things I’ve done. But I’m not so naive and therefore I don’t think me sending a single message to them will be enough.

That’s why through the forum I’m looking if other persons understand the need for this function back in our phones and if they could as well send a message.

So please people use the Fairphone support page and send them the same message to show that there is a real need for it.

And paulakreuzer, if you could stick to usefull positive and constructives replies that would be great.

It is extremely complicated for any person which is not a geek. This is about 95% of users.

Come on, if other phone companies can do it and understand the need for it Fairphone can do it too. Especially if some guys alone in their basement have been able to develop app who could do it for years.

Again, here we speak about a function which is used every single day because putting ones phone on flight mode at night is simply a wise thing to do. 365 days a year that is enough for an automated function.

1 Like

I see why you would use it, but I just turn on the phone myself when I wake up, I don’t need an app for that. My schedule is often too irregular to let the phone do it by itself, unless it could be synced with the alarm or something like that. I do not recall anybody else asking for this feature on the forum, and that is why I called it a small part of the FP users.

5 Likes

Well, no, you understand nothing :-/

The question is absolutely not about having the phone on silent. Many apps can do it.
The question is about flight mode, and not being bombarded by radio waves all night long every night, BUT, still being able to get urgent phone calls in the morning WITHOUT having to wake up only in order to switch the phone out off flight mode.

And there is no “stock version”, so a simple basic control function will not be such an heavy load for Fairphone to do.