Do the Fairbuds XL support USB-C to USB-C audio?

@Fairphone recently released the

and I rather want to replace my buggy and non-waterproof WH-1000XM5 | Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones | Sony United Kingdom with the Fairbuds XL Headphones | Fairphone. However, one of the things I hate the most about my XM5 is that although it charges (in about 5 minutes!) using USB-C, it doesn’t support audio transfer via that port, meaning I must either use a USB-C to aux adapter and all the issues that presents

https://www.reddit.com/r/fairphone/comments/vx9aja/comment/ifxdwng/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

or use Bluetooth and all the issues that presents

so can I connect to something like my fp4 wired simply with USB-C male to USB-C male?

1 Like

Yes, you can use them with a standard USB-C to USB-C cable. Even the cheaper USB 2.0 cables are sufficient for this.
Bluetooth audio works just fine with the FP4 as well, though.

4 Likes

Do you know also whether it can charge and play audio via the same cable simultaneously, @mde?

1 Like

There are splitters that implement this, so it should be doable, but I did have a few issues when testing some (Edit: with my FP4) (especially with lower output chargers) as described in the following post:

1 Like

While it was no problem to play audio from my computer to the Fairbuds XL using a USB-A-to-USB-C cable, the sound was notably flatter (tinnier) than via Bluetooth or the Audio-jack-to-USB-C cable. Not distorted in any way, just lacking bass and, well, let’s call it: life :wink:

Regarding charging at the same time, I cannot provide any experience (I think you only ever get to see the charging level in the Fairbuds XL app). Given a battery charge lasts relatively long, I did not really check this. (I no longer posess the Fairbuds XL here, they were just loaned to me temporarily.)

3 Likes

As far as I can tell from my own experience, it charges automatically when connected to any sort of “live” counterpart - also when playing music.
This might be blessing and curse at the same time, though: If you connect the empty Fairbuds XL to your phone, the charging alone might drain more than 30% of your battery for a full charge. This is less of an issue with desktop computers or notebooks with sufficient battery capacity.

3 Likes

That’s a blessing for me, although indeed, it should be possible to disable. Thanks lots. They sound like my perfect headphones.

3 Likes

Just in case you didn’t already find it, I’d like to point out this collection of issues with the Fairbuds XL to reduce future disappointment.
In my case, none of those issues prevent me from using them, but you never know…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.