Discussion about the Open OS Fastboot Installation Guide

This topic is the meta-discussion for this wiki:

Post here if you have questions about the guide or want to help improve it, but want to get input before just editing the guide.

Original Post:

Thanks for this tutorial, I enjoyed reading it.

Would you mind converting it to a Wiki post? We would then be able to add installation instructions for Linux operating systems and a workaround for the encryption problem. Thank you!

3 Likes

Good idea! It now is a wiki.

2 Likes

Thank you again! I added the Linux parts and refactored your tutorial regarding some typos and overall formatting.

2 Likes

check this post to fix the crashing play store: Running Gapps on rooted Phone. I wonder if this fix can be included in the next Open OS releaseā€¦

1 Like

Yes, I saw that post too. However, by using the Fairphone OSOS we directly flash the image to our phone without compiling anything. So there is nothing we can resign. So itā€™s up to the fairphone devs to sign the apps with the correct certificate.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if we need a bug report

1 Like

@marvin24: Yes, I think a bug report would be a good idea to make this problem known to fp devs. How can we file a bug report?

I think one can use https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new . It seems to me that there are several problems related to the locating service and Iā€™m not sure how they are related. So I donā€™t feel qualified to submit a bug report myself. Someone with a deeper understand should do it (if he hasnā€™t done yet).

The ā€œofficial wayā€ to report bugs is to create a topic (e.g. in ā€¦help) with a detailed description of the issue and if possible a fool-proof way to reproduce it, and if us moderators decide itā€™s really a bug we move the topic to #software:bug-reports and add the issue to the #bugslist::tag.

TBH I donā€™t really understand what you talk about so Iā€™ll probably have to rely on others to decide whether itā€™s a bug in this case.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that the exact same problem as discussed here:

1 Like

I was told that there will be a fix for that. Unfortunately, I donā€™t know when that will be.

Hi Iā€™m trying to install the OS but get stuck at this point:
ā€˜enabling USB debugging in the developer settings on your deviceā€™

Where can I find these?

Go to settings > about your phone.
Tap the build number 10 times.
Now youā€™ll have the developer options in your settings app.

2 Likes

Wow, for real? How does one figure out this stuff?
Thanks!

1 Like

Can I use this tutorial to update my current Fairphone Open OS 16.04 to Fairphone Open OS 16.05? Or will this completely remove all of my apps and bring me back to a clean install of Fairphone Open OS 16.05?

I tried it. The answer is NO. If you follow this tutorial, you get a clean install.

The reason I tried this tutorial instead of the ā€˜updaterā€™ is that the ā€˜updaterā€™ doesnā€™t work in my case. It boots into TWRM and than does nothing.

Iā€™m trying to fastboot with the terminal, but it doesnā€™t seem to see my phone when I check it with the ./adb devices command
I get: List of devices attached
then nothingā€¦

Before:
Ive set my phone to developer mode
Turned on USB debugging
Installed Android Studio
Put it in recovery mode
connected it to my computer
changed the directory to the platform-tools folder

what am I missing?

Same problem for me, after installing ADB and Fastboot on Ubuntu 16.04, enabling USB debugging, my FP2 is not found ā€¦

Any idea why and what should be done ?

Did you make sure that all connecting options on the phone (like MTP, charging mode etc.) are unchecked?

Are you in fastboot mode already? then

adb devices

will not work, but you need to check connection with

fastboot devices

2 Likes

Unfortunately I never got it to work and I installed the normal Fairphone OS again, the Open OS was not for me!

1 Like

I had similar problems. My phone showed up in ADB, but fastboot did not recognize it. The solution was sudo:
sudo fastbootā€¦
ā€¦and it worked.

2 Likes