Disable sim card

Whether or not this is being worked on, I am disappointed in Fairphone either way. I am not sure how an update with such serious flaws can be released in the first place. When I updated my phone, with the second sim disabled as it was, it got into a locked mode asking for a pin and puk for my first sim but not accepting either. Asking for help via the service desk was pointless, they suggested it was a sim provider problem! We finally worked out ourselves to take out the second sim card (after powering down via the work around, given that that doesn’t work properly either since the update). After that, no problem. But also no dual sim. And no response from Fairphone about when this might be fixed or even an apology.

1 Like

That is probably still true as there are many other bugs and only one was fixed so far.

I am also really disappointed with this and many other features of the FP2. This one is a crucial feature to be able to switch of your professional SIM card when your are not at work ! You can’t even not enter the pin when you switch it on. I really hope, they will work on fixing it soon.
I participated in the bugtracker report for this issue maybe they will move faster : https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/55

1 Like

Hello ,

I can only add to the others customers comments, that I as well am very disappointed with the way this is handled by fairphone.
First that the Android 7 update even gets released without this basic functionality for a phone that advertises its dual sim feature is more than suboptimal.

But worse I find is the way fairphone reacts to their customers complaints.
If this , despite the many complaints and requests for fixing from customers is not actively worked on and might never be , because this is “ not a priority “ … well I don’t know what to say to such a cheeky answer.

Also I find it astonishing (in a very negative way) that this bug still is only assigned priority “low” status in the bug tracker.It’s the third most upvoted item and still low priority?!

I certainly do hope they readjust their priorities because they re actively annoying and loosing customers.I will not recommend the fairphone to others in the present state and I would not buy one again , should my present one fail.

I liked to support the idea of a fair(er) phone and happily invested the not small price , but in regard of Customer support and treatment I expect a lot more.

Kind regards,

Oliver

2 Likes

Is this a bloody joke ?!? I’ve just done the update to Android 7 and this main feature of managing two SIM cards has just disappeared without warning !!! Now I find myself with just a basic phone, simply having two phone numbers which I cannot control at all. The work and the private phone numbers are ringing whenever they decide and I have no control on it anymore.

And Fairphone is wrongly advertising about customers having control over the phone ?!?
And Fairphone is speaking about being transparent but does not inform about this major change BEFORE doing the update ?!?
And Fairphone talks about being durable but decrease the phone most interesting functionality ?!? This is not update this is downgrade :frowning:
And now what ? They react with no real energy and will to solve that major BUG !
I’ve always spoken in a very positive way to all my relatives about Fairphone despite the many bugs but this is becoming to much.

Please react to this in a more professional way.
Regards

2 Likes

Until this is perhaps resolved in Android 7 somewhen …
There’s still the “I regret upgrading, how do I downgrade?” section here …

I’m still waiting and my Support for FF is ending! I put it on Bug Tracker! No Answer! I mailed: see what happend! FF will not fix an important issue. I have to take my sim-card out every evening, wknd or holiday. When i forgot something i put it back in. Imagine my product. I was told to go back on android 6: the F2 crashed totally! After they told me : it’s not supported to goback on android 6 (…). I had to to factorysetting and start over again. Still stuck with that major problem of not able to controle a sum! Extra: now i have an unstable phone. It warms up a lot! It has frozen or a scrambled screen. Battery is speeddraining while i have less apps on it…!! So , what now?!

1 Like
1 Like

As you can read: i did a factory reset…

A factory reset on the Fairphone 2 only deletes user data and Apps and leaves the OS as is. If something on the OS side became faulty, the fault will survive a factory reset.

Ok…but what faulty…had a paid virusscan. And the problem was that FF told me to go back for android 6 what became a total disaster. And the main issue was only the question to disable a simcard. O well

There’s a thing or two to be said about the sense and nonsense of antivirus Apps on smartphones, but in the end that doesn’t matter here, because the amount of stuff they can prevent from happening is just a small subset of what could happen to an OS installation.

OSes are much too complex for vendors to foresee or test every possibility of how automatic procedures like upgrades or possible interactions with any App might turn out.
Or you could say the software industry as a whole is still missing tools or regulations to properly manage the levels of complexity it generates itself.

Anyway … if you are not suffering from a hardware defect and you want to have a working phone, then wiping the phone completely, formatting the data partition, and then installing from scratch whatever OS and OS version you want will restore the phone to a working state.
That’s what a factory reset should do, but in our case doesn’t. And the wiping which a manual installation of Fairphone OS or Fairphone Open OS does by itself will delete all files, but might leave the directory structure intact.
Usually the pseudo factory resets and the manual installation procedures work out like intended somehow nonetheless, but if not … really installing from scratch is the choice left.

If you are not feeling confident about it, which I can understand because it all seems drastic, perhaps fairphoneangels could assist, if you happen to have any in the vicinity.
Links to the manual installation files for Android 6 are given in the downgrade section of the post mentioned before.

I agree with the comments here - I got a Fairphone 2 specifically for the dual SIM which is now useless and I am not confident enough to downgrade to Android 6. I am looking at a different brand of dual SIM phone.
But in the meantime…I also have a question:
I live in UK and have a Russian and UK SIM. as I visit my son in Russia often. If I have both SIMS enabled, Russian in slot 1 and UK in slot 2 - which mobile data will kick in when I arrive in Russia? Will the Russian mobile data work and the UK not (which obviously is what I want)I don’t want to be paying for UK Mobile data when in Russia . Previously I disabled the UK one on arrival.

2 Likes

This basic functionality needs to available again for android 7.
Removing my business sim for holiday or weekend is not an option .
So hopefully FP is working on that O.O…

1 Like

After updating my phone last night to OS 19.02.1, this function is till not working. I am really disappointed since this issue is being raised as a bug and at this forum, the reply from Fairphone has been mentioning waiting for the update.
What I really would like to know: when is this bug going to be fixed, or doesn’t Fairphone see/work on this one as a bug?
The Fairphone community is a very committed community, but the way this is being handled it looks like Fairphone is not treating this loyalty very well.
Please Fairphone: be clear and committed to the owners and participants of this movement!!

1 Like

May be help someone…

[GUIDE] Use Tasker to Enable/Disable Second Sim Card on Dual Sim Phones - NO ROOT

Need: Tasker
(Tipp for Fairphoner without Playstore) Tasker (You can purchase a new direct purchase license from developer and use a special direct purchase version of Tasker that he’ll send you)

2 Likes

Hi Folks,

Has anyone actually gotten any of these ideas to work on a FP2? I tried Tasker, as well as Automate, and from my quick initial look, neither can disable the FP2 SIM slots.

Thanks for any pointers!

I just updated my FP2 and have the same problem. If I would have known that this features is not available anymore, I wouldn’t have made the update!!! This feature is not a “nice to have”, it’s a “must have” for me! This is the first time I’m really really disappointed about fairphone …

1 Like

See the “I regret upgrading, how do I downgrade?” section here …

Yes, this is annoying. Dear Fairphone this is not “FAIR”. I paid for dual Sim phone having this feature … please bring it back soon or I have to switch away from FP2 after having it for only three years …

2 Likes