Disable charging LED FP3

I’ve recently received my FP3. It is a little bigger than I expected but still is a very nice phone. However I have a small issue. My previous phone had the ability to disable the charging LED and notifications light completely so that it does not emit light pollution.

I found out how to disable notifications but there seems no way to turn off the charging light which is for me a MAJOR annoyance as I charge the phone every night, and it is right by my bedside.

Please can someone tell me how I can turn the darned front LED off, or where I can get an APP or extension which will?

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

There is already a topic about this:

So far there is no solution without root, but if one is found it will be posted there.
If you have further questions about this please continue there to avoid duplicate topics.

Oops, nevermind. That is a topic for the FP2.
I was sure there is one for the FP3 too, but I can’t find it.

yes that is I why I posted my topic. The thread is for FP2 - are you saying the same patch will work with both? because that is not obvious to me. The hardware is different so I am thinking this may not work?

1 Like

I bought something like this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07FVZG5P5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think it would help for FP3 too, if you don’t want to root.

2 Likes

The following “workaround” from the mentioned FP2 thread will probably work anyway :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Maybe this app works (have not tried it myself).

1 Like

Not directly helpfull for you, but you shouldn’t charge you phone the whole night and you better not have it around your bed because of radiation.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply, both those with serious suggestions, and those with some slightly more humorous suggestions. Having researched this a little more I can now see that there isn’t an easy fix for this as the fairphone hardware lacks the colour changing LED feature that make it possible implement the switch, so I am probably just going to have to get used to it.

In almost every other respect the phone is great so I guess its a relatively minor problem. Anyway thanks again to those who made suggestions.

2 Likes

I assume you considered turning the phone around so the screen faces down, so: is there a specific reason for why the screen should be facing up? Just wondering.

1 Like

I was about to say that :joy:
But this solution is so annoying when your alarm clock rings in the morning. You have to turn your phone around to turn off the alarm :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

There’s still my box of matches on the LED at night (for exactly this reason), but I don’t share it, you have to use your own :wink: .

2 Likes

I see! Perhaps that could be considered a ‘feature’ as well, as in it requires you to wake up just a little bit more to turn off the alarm? :wink:

Alternatively, in the Alarm settings it is possible to configure the volume buttons to act as either snooze or disable buttons.

1 Like

I didn’t know that! I’ll check it out thanks.

1 Like

For me, this “workaround” was not sufficient for the FP2, because the light still got through to some degree, especially once it got green (i.e. more blue).

I do agree though that charging the FP3 overnight is much less relevant, since charging is so fast (in contrast to the FP2).

I find this LED pretty annoying, too - especially bc. it is so bright.

1 Like

Hi,
My first post here. Not that easy to post with a fp3 (even … :confused: )
I don’t have a solution and I’m happy to know if you found one. I hate the light in the eyes when you type, but also it helps thinking of unplugging the phone when loaded. I stopped charging it at night with this one, a little in the morning and a little in the evening is enough. And I think it might be better for the battery.

Definitely prolongs the battery life :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.