Proud owner of two fairphone 2 and one fairphone 3, I must say I’m a lot frustrated by the last fairphone.
In fact, this is deception, and it’s start with a lot of things :
Above the ethical aspect of the phone, I wanted a phone without private life parasits. FP2, with it’s OpenOS was great.
But all dreams come to an end : unfortunately, one of my fp2 became suddenly dead. I discovered the back side of fairphone: all services are delegated to external companies, most of them are USA based and, by definition, are not aware of what is privacy concern (all US companies have to share their metadata with governement agencies…):
- the help desk (fairphone zendesk com ) US based company, is hosted in USA cloudfare (188.8.131.52)
- the “dead phones/parts” return company (fairphoneco 12return com): obfuscated company, hosted in USA softlayer (184.108.40.206)
- the “shop” website (shop fairphone com) , delegated to hypernode io/com: obfuscated company too, hosted in USA aws (220.127.116.11) seems to be just a magento reseller.
(“obfuscated” from the 2 above lines means, ‘whois’ domains data have been “privacy”-ized by saying there where personnal data (!!) => REDACTED FOR PRIVACY ; and not bein abble to find a registering-number, country nor city attached …: if theses companies are doing legal things, why do they hide ?)
- even this forum is delegated: forum fairphone com ( => vps760 greenhost nl ) this time, it’s really seems to be an real NL based company…
- not even speaking about trackers on the main fairphone web site (google tracking, youtube, doubleclick, myfont counter, etc…)
Hey you at fairphone, can you stop disseminate my personnal data with all theses unknown people ? I can’t trust them: I don’t know who they are…
I know you own good developpers (I think about the great peoples who ported android 7 to the FP2) , why don’t you developp your own “ethical” web services ?
On the phone itselfs :
Saddly, I had more problems with my phones than any chineses phones I had seen in my work :
- 2 screens broken (unfortunately the people fairphone didn’t thought about making the screen dimensions compatible with a well known apple/samnsung/anything, to be abble to exchange protection from them): I had never found any tampered glass for my fairphones.
- 1 screen half sensitivity dead: had to send back the dead one to be abble to get back the new one: peoples at fairphone where thinking my phone was perhaps a gamestation, and not a working tool for me: had to buy a chinese 50€ phone the time my phone came back…
- numerous “usb/microphone” death : no more sound , recharging impossible, etc… you know induction ?
- and the last miserability: impossible to get anything else than google on fp3: you must kidding are u ?..
So I told you guys at fairphone: Even if I spend more than 1700€ in your miscelanous products/spare parts, I won’t buy anything else from you; My next phone will be a full lineage “approved” phone, even if it’s not an ethical made phone… My, and my familly privacy concerns is more important to my eyes than your story-telling.
bye bye fairphone.