Cutting out a Micro SIM: Do providers charge for a new SIM?

Free SIM replacement on a Vodafone contract - you just go in the shop and they had over a new one. Got mine in November in expectation of a new FP2 arriving any day … then upgraded my contract in prep for 4G and got “free” unlimited data for a month … which has now long expired before the FP2 has arrived! hey ho.

I also didn’t dare cut my (6 yr old) SIM - but it’s worth a go as if you break it you just have to get a replacement from the provider.

For my current phone I had to cut my standard sim into a nano one, so I picked up a template off the Internet and cut it down. It worked but every time I booted the phone it would not recognise the sim card: had to take it out with phone switched on, place in back in then reboot the phone. Annoying although I don’t switch it off that much. In the end I asked my provider, Virgin UK to send me a nano version of my sim (same phone number) which they did for free within 3 days…

Vodafone in the Netherlands doesn’t charge you anything if you need a different size SIM.

I currently have a 3-in-1 SIM that can be snapped off at the size you want it to be.

Proximus in Belgium doesn’t charge anything if you just go to any of their shops to ask for a new SIM.

For me, it will cost €15,25 to replace the SIM:

I’m not sure if I already have the right size or not. @Lidwien posted an image somewhere in this forum that shows the different formats of SIM cards in a single view, but I can’t find it back. Maybe you’d like to repost it in this topic for easier access for anyone with this question?

I did cut mine with scissors using a template online (which is, in a way a DIY stamping/punching method). I had a 2 year old sim card and so far it works perfectly in my new FP2 :smile:
a friend of mine had to pay something like $10 to get her micro sim…

See link below:

Is a 7-8 years old SIM-card too old? :wink:
Because Base (in Belgium) charges 10€ for a new one, cutting is free.

I would say consider cutting, if you don’t need the mini-sim size anymore.

Thanks jp and Lidwien for the info. I just checked my old phone and it has a mini-SIM in it, so I need to order a new one from Ben or have a phone shop cut it to size for me (I won’t risk scissoring, there’s no cutting grooves for Micro on my mini-SIM).

Well, they have made me a replacement SIM:

And they have charged €10:

The provider is FONIC. Well, if they charge me €10, I will not use a data option there (500 MB for €9.95 without LTE, up to 7.2 Mbit/s). I have something cheaper and better (1 GB for €3.99 with LTE up to 21.1 Mbit/s).

o2 (germany): 24,99€ :frowning:

good idea!

Hi all,
probably here I was the only that I didn’t know this… :sweat_smile:

Previous phone have a standard SIM card so I found that it’s possible pass from SIM to MICROSIM only by cutting the card (with scissors, knife,…).

I haven’t a Microsim to copy the dimensions, but I know that these are 12x15mm (online it’s possible found a lot of pdf with template).

Obviously if you cut the chip it could be a problem… :worried:

Bye.
Akiro

Most phone stores also have special cutters and may let you use them if you ask nicely :smile:

Sorry, I posted this as a thread into “FP2 HELP”, I searched under that forum because I think that’s a problem related to the new device, so I didn’t found this one under “Community”…
Probably better mention it somewhere on “FP2 HELP” ?

You had to pay a new one? Wow.

Swisscom have SIM card punchers (“Stanzgerät”) and will punch out the micro SIM for free.

How much did you pay? A few years ago most providers would want 40 CHF for a SIM card, which is absurd because the chip costs them like 0.10 CHF.

I’m not good at haggling, I went to a phone repair store and they asked €2,50 for the service of cutting. I dared not say I’d rather have it done for free.

2 Likes

I did cut my 10±year-old O2-SIM with a scissor and a template of my 2nd SIM (which has a perforation for this, which I could use as the template)…it was no need to cut the contacts, they just ended exactly at the point, where I wanted to cut…

…and everything went fine, no problems, 5 minutes and 0€ (instead of 25€ from O2).

P.S.: don’t forget to remeber the orientation of the SIM to cut, and at which side the cut-corner is and again should be again…I forget and was a little bit puzzled

1 Like