Thanks, Ingo, this is helpful. Yes, it’s a bigger decision than just a new phone but also considering switching from Apple to Android. Really I’ve had no problems with Apple, just the steep price, a couple apps that exist only for Android (Zotero), and the idea of sustainability in the Fairphone that has me considering this dramatic switch. If I switch I’ll have to buy some apps again, but I would still save hundreds if it lasts 5 years, and that is a factor right now.
The idea not only of sustainability but also a modular phone is wonderful! Two winning ideas! But does it work? Nothing has ever broken on my iPhone (except now the battery needs 3 charges a day). I could get a new battery, but that doesn’t solve the iOS problem and seems a temp solution. So I am thinking about the pros and cons, and I hope to hear from all the pros out there! There are plenty of cons on the internet. 