(Original/regular) Cover issues (deformed, splits, cracks) (see first post)

Dear Sylvain, sorry to reply to this post so late. I also have a defective back cover (the warping issue). Before I trigger the replacement, though, I would like to know whether the new back cover would just be from the same batch as the old ones or actually has better glue so that - likely - no warping will occur. Thanks!

They are the exact same as before, they will probably fail within the next 6 months.
I recommend you to order a ā€œslimā€ one as they donā€™t use glue.

1 Like

The backcover of my FP2 started to brittle at each of its angles, 7 months after the phone was shipped to me.
I have been using phone mainly inside and when I was carrying it outside it was either in my pocket or on a holder inside my car. It didnā€™t spend hours under the sun, mainly because I live in (rainy) Switzerland!
This being a manufacture issue, it should be sorted out under guaranty coverage! I have written to Fairphone 2 days ago and no answer! Still hoping!

Please give them a call to get a fast reply.

1 Like

My cover also has split. As glueing it together doesnā€™t work, I came up with another trick.
I took a piece of paper and glued the two parts on the paper. Now the paper is holding the two parts together. Of course this will only work at places where there is no button.

3 Likes

Adding another report. Iā€™ve decided to order one of the new slim cases, instead of trying to get this case replaced. It looks like the new design has resolved the issue of bonding different types of plastic by using separate edge and back parts.

I donā€™t think this is fair. Having your users to pay ~45ā‚¬ for fixing a product they could replace with an upgraded design.

As I wrote to the support:

Rubber, flexible design case has failed. Itā€™s not sustainable for the planet to keep producing and shipping them. It is also not respectful with the client to sentence us exclusively to request a new cover every 6 months, average, instead of providing us a path to upgrade to a new slim cover. Iā€™m even inclined to spend a few (more) bucks, but not 30ā‚¬+ shipping, sorry. Iā€™m not your investor, I have a broken product.

6 Likes

That was my case as well. I mentioned two options in my email to Fairphone back then when my cover was deformed/cracked/split. Either send a replacement, or give a significant discount on a new slim cover if that is made of better quality.

I think it would be fair to give existing users who have issues with the old case the option to upgrade their case with a slim version with discount. Iā€™m fully supporting Fairphone, thatā€™s why I donā€™t demand the new slim case for free, but a discount would be fair. My new case is still fine, but it already shows slight deformations at the buttons, so my expectation is that in springtime, it will be the same old again.

3 Likes

Yes this happened to meā€¦very disappointed as second problem with this phone. Ive only had the phone less than a year and after a few months the main mic brokeā€¦waited months for spare part. Thatā€™s fixed but as I had to take the case on and off many times becasueof faults associated to mic and charging problem my case split by the volume button. I donā€™t want to pay for another one as expensive.
At times I get really frustrated with this phone and I have buyers regret. I hate how it freezes when I use it when it is charging. I find it difficult to talk to people as it often hangs up, puts on hold without me doing anything!

Most of the problems you are describing have solutions. Please use the forum search above (the little magnifying glass) and youā€™ll surely be able to solve most of the issues.

As for the broken cover: This is on warranty and Fairphone will replace the case for free. You have to contact them via support.

PS.: Okay, I see you donā€™t have a FP1, but a FP2ā€¦ I get confused with the change of colour of the #fairphone2help and #fairphone-help categoriesā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue: Moving this post and yours.

1 Like

I had the same problem all of you with the 2 covers I used. Today while I was watching my transparency cover, I wondered if there was a reason for the deformation to always start from the same point, and I noticed the SD card slot is just next to the volume button. One possibility is therefore that heat escape from the slot when it is empty (which is my case). So Iā€™d like to ask all of you a question :
If you had this problem, did you have a SD card in your slot?

2 Likes

To make answering @lorraine_Montel easier, hereā€™s a poll:

###When your cover started to deform, did you have a SD card in the SD-card slot?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I didnā€™t know how to do that!

This is an interesting observation.
Though, I got these deformations and splits at all buttons. So I think it comes first and in biggest amplitude at the volume button, because it is the biggest and/or is most used.
But this is also just a theory :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I also get the same problem, split in the cover module. I send the email to the support team to see what they propose to do.

I have the same feeling than you.

My cover has been replaced once at the end of last year.
It seems like the deformations appear since tree/four weeks.

I donā€™t want to ask a new replacement to the support and Iā€™d prefer buy the slim version.
So is it possible to have a discount or something for us?

1 Like

If you want an official answer from the Fairphone Team, you should contact them directly via Sup
port
This is a community forum, populated by Fairphone users like you and me.

It is sad to see that some Fairphone enthusiasts are talking about becoming fed-up with Fairphone just because they have encountered a problem with the case. Did you think that high ideals make one immune from any error? Of course not: idealists can make mistakes at least as easily as anyone else. The difference is that idealists try their best to put matters right. I had a case replaced free even though Iā€™d had my Fairphone 2 more than a year, and I am confident that if the design can be improved it will be improved.
All human endeavour involves error, nobody is perfect. If ideals are worth anything at all, they must be able to deal with this fact.

4 Likes

Hi everybody

yesterday the cover of my FP2 has got broken. You can see in the 2 pictures below.

Anyone had the same problem? my FP2 is only one year old: how long is the warranty?

thanks
Tommaso

Contact Support, you will get a new cover under warranty (2 years for the whole Fairphone except for the battery which has just 1 year warranty). However, you will probably not get the same colour anymore.

1 Like