(Original/regular) Cover issues (deformed, splits, cracks) (see first post)

Hi There,
Despite my hopes to not be one of those affected by cracked cases, I regret to inform that I have just noticed that there are cracks on the back of my case and also the rubber is coming apart at the volume area… which is “a sads”.

I wonder if by any chance, wont you have any silicon cases that can actually fit? Silicon cases have always proved to me to be very protective and versatile.

I have read I need to raise a support ticket, which I will do immediately, I wrote here as I had read in an earlier post that the support ticket interface was not working, and just in case, to be sure.

thank you in advance

Dear Customer Support Team,

Just a quick comment how satisfied I am with your service. Only two days after I handed in my request regarding a cracked case my FP2 has its new cover. That’s outstanding!

Kind regards,

Andreas

6 Likes

Hi all, those who have tried it with the glue have resolved?

At least I had not to renew the hot glue on my cover for days now (after many tries which held for only a few days). And the split is not getting larger. But I don’t think this will hold forever.

1 Like

After 9 months, my Fairphone 2 unfortunately shows signs of wear that I couldn’t manage to achieve with other phones in years :frowning:

I’m glad that the rubber is not separating from the back part of the cover as seen in some photos here, though the rubber bulges near the volume buttons.
My problem is the material of the back part. I’ve noticed cracks on all four edges. The phone is mostly carried in my front pocket (and sometimes in a separate compartment of my bag), which I would describe as pretty standard these days. I’ve never dropped the phone or applied force to it. As you can see in the photos attached, the crack one the lower right side is pretty big and I guess it’s going to grow until something falls apart.

A replacement cover every year is quite the opposite of what I’ve had in mind with a Fairphone. I don’t think that I could have done anything to prevent this so unless there will be changes to the material or design of the cover, this is going to happen again.

The new covers seem to be different in form and material but I like to have a “neutral” phone without poppy colours. And I love the subtle detail of black transparency.

1 Like

So far we just know that the transparent and black covers remain available and have undergone a slight revision (material and probably construction) as well. So the material has indeed changed.

2 Likes

Not only does it look stupid, depending on where it happens it makes it more difficult to use the volume buttons and increases chances of liquid and dust getting in. It affects form and function.

As always, would be great to get an official statement :smiley: I guess I’ll contact support for further information.

Also on my FP2 cracks on both lower edges occured (see photo). Reply from Fairphon support was that this would not be covered by warranty. From the posts above I did understand that some of you got a replacement when having the same defect that I have.

Can you confirm?

Thanks and best regards,
Sebastian

1 Like

Update! Split is now the entire length of that side, and has extended round the corner up to the headphone jack. Have refused to order a new one (on principle) but still need to glue it (because I’m lazy).

I am now having the same problem, and I’m going to send the email to support. But I’d like to know first if any of the back covers is more durable than the others, to order that one?

Thank you

According to this post by @Douwe, the two remaining regular back covers (black matte and transparent) are both made from different materials than before. I’d assume that’s the new materials were chosen in order to avoid the cracks.

Hey, only now I see I made a mistake in that post. The regular cases have not changed. I will correct this in the post mentioned by Stefan.

Sorry for the confusion.

That is disappointing news, particularly because apparently it is not possible to get a broken regular cover replaced with the slim one:

I have to say that I don’t understand that decision from the view point of sustainability, since this essentially means to produce a piece of plastic waste every six months (that’s how long my two back covers lasted; without being taken off often, btw).

3 Likes

Does it mean the “regular” covers have not changed for now? Or does it mean they have not changed at all?

1 Like

There has been no change to the regular cases.
This is the current situation:

• We now sell two types of regular cases: black matte and translucent. These are the same as we sold from the beginning.
  • We introduced new slim cases with a new design, new material, new colors and a new form factor.
2 Likes

Hi @Douwe,
My FP2 case (blue) cracks as well (I have my phone since june '16). Obviously I’m going to order a replacement under warranty. I was wondering (and perhaps other people too, hence the public post) if it is possible to get the new case, either as replacement under warranty, or with a significant discount?

Do the black cases perform better overtime, or will a new blue case crack just as easy as soon as the first hot days are here?

That is a pity. I can understand the old ones are not redesigned, what I not understand why they are still get sold? It is obviously there are real problems with the material and the technical design of it.

Maybe it’s simply that they don’t know what else to do with the old covers. Should they throw them away?

Maybe yes actually,
Would you buy something that , and you know as a certainty, will break in 6 month…for 30€ ???
And, from an enterprise who claim to aim for long lasting devices ? That’s ironic !(and also, close to false advertising, abuse, and planned obscolesence …)
Recycle them, they are going to be trashed in 6 month anyway