(Original/regular) Cover issues (deformed, splits, cracks) (see first post)

No. That is a sad state of affairs I agree, but ā€¦ No.
What is this supposition based on?

Anyway, if you offer support in the website offering the possibility to send them a ticket, you should review the tickets and answer them. If you donā€™t have time to do this, please remove this way of contact from the website and let only the phone number as the only way for contacting them.

1 Like

Hello, I have the same problem with my FP2 cover.
It starts with the volume button, then it extends. I tried to glue the 2 layers of the cover, but after 1 week they split again.

I always keep my FP2 in a protective case, and it had no major fall so far.

My issue is that I live in China now, and I canĀ“t be delivered here, although Fairphone is made in this country. Here Fairphone 2 works perfectly with the provider ā€œChina Unicomā€, which network is good even in remote areas.

Nicolas

Thatā€™s a warranty case, as the splitting is due to a constructive flaw.
Get in contact with them this way:

Back cover > regular > broken
You will need this picture of your broken cover and maybe the IMEI and the invoice (should you have bought the phone from a third party seller.

As Fairphone does not deliver to China, you migth choose to let it be delivered to someone (friends, family ā€¦) in Europe, who then does forward it to you. Should you be in need of someone, you can send me a pm as well.
(You will be able to send pm as a ā€œbasic userā€. To reach that status you just have to read some posts in five or so topics,)

2 Likes

After 1 year same issue with this cover :frowning:

A post was merged into an existing topic: :de: Einige Probleme mit meinem FP2

Same problem with my fairphone2 FP400019580. Thought it was my fault (dunno how by the way), but I see it is a design flaw. Questions: if I contact the support, will they ask me to send the cover before sending me a good one (I donā€™t like to remain without a phone)? Will the cover be replaced with another of the same type (which will crack in few months)? Will you ever do slim cases in regular (black) colors?

A picture of the cover will be enough.
In exchange you will get a slim case (colour to your likeing; availablility in the shop as an assumption). The old ones are dicontinued due to the problems.
On my request the reacted instantly. Did take about one week until I had a new one.

2 Likes

My fp2 case is bending out at the volume button for the second time. Bit annoying

Contact support and youā€™ll get a new slim cover (which doesnā€™t have this issue) under warranty.

Hello there

Same problem here with the regular transparent cover:

Not cracked, but rubber disconnected and expanded around the volume buttons, as seen above. Contacted support, received a slim replacement cover, OK so far.

However, my questions are regarding repairing and modifying it further:

ā€“ Has anyone succesfully repaired it somehow? Iā€™ve read many people attempted using various kinds of glue ā€“ has any worked for a definite solution?

ā€“ Some people suggested shortening/cutting the rubber, since it keeps expanding. Has anyone tried it?

ā€“ Would it be possible to remove the rubber band and use the transparent only part with the clickable frame from the slim covers? Would something like that work?

ā€“ Any other fixes or ideas how to re-use the transparent back part instead of throwing it away?

Cheers!

Not just like that, but here is what you can do with a laser cutter.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a tear in the backcover as well, right at the volume button. This is the second backcover. The first lasted me 18 months, the second only 11 months. Iā€™ve ordered a new slim one, before realizing from reading this topic that it might be covered by the warranty. Therefore I asked support if they could change my order into a warranty delivery.

The old covers are discontinued, so I saw on the site. The new one will be the Slim cover. Any experience if the new model fares better and is more durable - and thus more sustainable? I hope to use my FP2 for six years at the least, would be a shame to use four to five covers in that time period.

Donā€™t worry, the back cover makes up only 0.3% of the CO2 emissions during production of the FP2.

Source: Fairphone Blog

3 Likes

True, but it amounts to 5,7 % of the price of a new phone, which is not really sustainable on the purse. :wink:
Besides, as Depeche Mode in 1983 already stated: Everything counts in large amounts.
And you should of course dispose of the broken cover via a recycling program.

When it comes to durability, I really donā€™t have my slim cover as long as I had my old ones (I had two, that for me lasted about 9 months each).
But it really seems more durable, if you do handle the rim (front part of the casing) with care, when the cover is disassembled. This rim seems to be a bit fragile.
But if you donā€™t touch this part - and you can leave it on when taking off the back-cover - everything should be fine for years to come.

P7100005P7100002
I also experienced the crack of back cover.
First the transparent one (made in 2016) which cracked endlessly . I changed it to a black one which I nad ordered in 2016 ā€¦ which started dismantling itself . the two materials of which it is made seem to expand with time or temperature (it is about 30 degrees here, impossible to bond them back together .
Any advice ? I do not feel investing some 40 euros again in this phone ( changed the broken screen - took 9 months to get- , the battery ( still poor autonomy ) and the camera module ā€¦ I am afraid I will have to buy another brand ( for 100+ euros I can get now one with the same performances than FP2, isntā€™ it ?). Any advice , idea to get a back cover at reasonable price ?

Try contacting support (#contactsupport) .
As this disintegration is a (known) constructive flaw, you maybe can get a new slimcase on goodwill. If the cover is less than 2 years old, you even should get a warranty replacement.
Another chance is to try the #market:wanted of this forum.

2 Likes

Ref F2 - Iā€™d be interested to know if anyone has had problem of the rubber strip becoming extended and loose ? In my case, itā€™ s around the volume control buttons.

Can I get a replacement or glue it back without making disassembly difficult ?

I moved your post here as the rubber part you describe doesnā€™t exist for the new slim covers (which was designed to fix this flaw).

1 Like

@raydraper I suggest that you open a ticket at Fairphobe Support, they will send you a slim case for free.

1 Like