Considering to buy a new Fairphone? You should NEVER!

One has ‘AA’ version of Qualcomm SOC, other one ‘AB’. Supposedly ‘AB’ doesn’t have random reboots. Its also a little bit quicker IIRC (higher clocked?).

1 Like

Hello FritzG and welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

You are right, that the Fairphone 2 is a capricious model; so to speak.
That model has quite a few troubles, that are caused by design.
It takes modularity too far, as in some (many?) cases especialle the reboot-troubles did prove.
The “snap and click” assembly in combination with a rather flexible structure makes the connections a real issue. Add to this, that the phone really invites users to take it apart to demonstrate how great a phone it is, and the wear and tear on the contacts is getting even more severe. In addition, there were quite a few phones in the beginning, where the battery frame was a bit large, so the battery could loose contact. That problem grew with time, as the frame got even wider. My phone suffered from this problem, but a tiny adhesive plastic strip added to the battery frame solved all reboots and I had none since then (it’s already years ago).

So, I fully understand anger and frustration and totally subscribe to your remark, that you really got no great phone.

Designwise the Fairphone 3 / 3+ is a totally differend piece of cake.
I would not expect and have not heard of those kinds of reboots faced by the Fairphone 2.
With the FP3/3+ the troubles seem to be on the side of the OS, which is equally annoying, frustrating and not acceptable. The big difference is just, that a flawed design can hardly be changed/fixed, while a buggy software can be updated (as it seems, they are frantically trying right now for the FP3/3+).

So, just maybe, give Fairphone another chance, when the phone you got now comes to the end of it’s life. :wink:
Hopefully, there will be lots of good news about the Fairphones by then.

4 Likes

I have the same feeling, Francisco. My problem is not the rebooting but the inability to place or collect calls. I thought I was buying a phone but it turned out to be an mp4 player, and an expensive one at that.

The customer support is pointless and it seems like their only concern is to blame you and deny any kind of responsibility. Contacting them has been an utter waste of time, on top of the money waste.

I have previously bought phones for 400€ that lasted me about 4 years. I have bought phones for 100€ that lasted me about 1 or 1.5 years. This is the first time I buy a phone for 500€ that lasts like a cheap 100€ one.

And I bought this one because it was supposed to be a lasting piece of hardware but it turned out to be the one breaking sooner than any. Fairphone 3 has provided me with the worst ever phone experience.

And I have already given up, I don’t expect to ever have my phone fixed or my money back. I threw away 500€, but I’ll never place my trust again on these people. They are incompetents in the best scenario and scammers in the worst.

1 Like

Yes, the problem is that those who are legitimately having problems, also will be having to cost Fairphone postage and packaging and won’t be getting the money back. It’s their way to make sure nobody tries this for profit and, guess what, it is insanely effective.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you have such a bad experience.
Perhaps @formerFP.Com.Manager can help you, if you tell your ticketnumber?

1 Like

Do you mean, that you did not get the shipping costs refunded for a warranty claim? Or did I get this wrong?

That would be against their own warranty terms and conditions

7.2 Fairphone will cover all costs associated with in-warranty repair and replacement of Product, including postage, labour, and material within the countries of the European Economic Area, United Kingdom and Switzerland, excluding any overseas territories.

2 Likes

It’s an opinion, not a statement. I have seen the customer support trying to blame everyone else to deny responsibility. If I send the device I can’t be sure they will not do the same, because:

“If your product shows signs of user induced damage, we won’t be able to refund you.”

The whole small print is full of things like that, showing that they only see you as someone who wants to make profit out of them. The customer support seems more concerned about not being abused and not so much about being the abusers. It feels like they are there to protect the company from you, not to support their customers.

I have treated my phone very nicely, I was in love with this phone until it started failing. If I could trust them I’d have no problem sending it because I know it is in top shape. But I can’t trust them any more and I’m afraid they’ll pretend there’s something wrong with the usage and deny the warranty, like customer support does when answering e-mails.

I may be wrong, yes, but my experience so far with this company does not help and for me to be sure I’d have to pay first, and see later. Considering I already payed good money (much more than what I got in return) I am not willing to pay some more to (hopefully) get a refund later. They can come pick it up at home if they like.

1 Like

I completely understand you lost faith but still don’t like any assumptions about what would happen IF. I hope you get the assistance/refund you require!

3 Likes

Can you tell your ticketnumber?

2 Likes

Like @linn I really feel for you and can understand why you lost trust in Fairphone.
Well, I read lots of complaints about the phone failing, aboutr slow support or even not reacting for weeks/months in this forum.
But I can not recall someone complaining, that Fairphone declined warranty repairs or did not refund all the money. That, of course, doesn’t mean, it didn’t happen, but it doesn’t make it likely either; if anything, it makes it rather likely to be a rare occurence.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 182 days. New replies are no longer allowed.