Choose provider manually

Dear @tin and @wzinkl,

I see you have issues with APN. I think it’s easiest if you contact our support team by email ( www.fairphone.com/asksupport ) or calling them (number at bottom of page: www.fairphone.com/support.

They can best help you there and feel free to write in English, Dutch, or German.

This is not the case in every situation, but we have heard from some customers who use small “MVNO” - companies that buy towers from other, bigger companies that the following happens:

Usually this roaming alert is caused by Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO). These smaller phone networks (daughter network) make use of the networks of larger phone companies (mother network). This makes the phone think it is roaming on a different network although this is not the case. I hope this information helps and to make sure we do recommend asking your network provider, just in case.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replys. Today I put the simcard into another phone (LG Android 4.0) for to test the blocking of the roaming with this one. And there it works as expected ! It doesn`t roaming when not allowed. I compared the APN there with the APN found in the Fairphone : the setting is equal in both phones. Also the problem with the above mentioned 'MVNO’s cannot be, for my provider ‘3’ as ‘Telecom Italia Mobile’ are indipendet and are big companies.
So I think this is really a problem of the phone itself. If nobody has an idea how I can do something by myself, I will then contact the support center.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’d like to revive this thread. I recently was travelling near several borders (France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria). I had a similar problem as described above.

First of all, @tin & @wzinkl, did you find a solution that did not involve a hard reset?

In my case, I tried to set the priorities for network providers in the Preferred networks list. But even if I choose “Save” from the menu, the new settings are discarded. This led to high mobile charges, since Swisscom for some reason always turned up with priority 0 - even when German networks were available. It’s quite a nuisance, since I really relied on the phone and had to make and answer a lot of calls and needed to access up-to-date info via various internet services.

Anyone who can confirm this behaviour?
(Running 1.8.5 on FP1, XPosed, GravityBox, XPrivacy.)

[Edit, 22.07.2015 - still not working, plus my phone reboots when someone calls me and I try to turn the volume down during the call. Also revived another thread.]

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem ! I am leaving at the border with Switzerland both of my sims are set on manual so they are supposed to always keep their own network. However, my French sim always switches to the Swiss network if I am in an area without French network for a while. It’s started to be really tiring and expensive when I don’t notice that the network has switched and I answer a call …

Did anyone succeed to solve this problem ?

Not sure if this is the behaviour you want, and whether you have the option (could be provider dependent), but have you tried the following setting?:
Phone app > menu key > Settings > Voice Call > Call barring > [your SIM] > Incoming calls while roaming.

Hey !

Thanks for the answer.
What you suggest won’t have the same effect, it will only block the incoming call if my mobile switches network but what I would like is not to switch network.

What I want is this :

• French sim staying on French network or nor taking any network if the French one is not available,
  • Same behavior for the Swiss sim but with Swiss network.

Normally this behavior is set by choosing manually the network in “Mobile network settings > Network operators”. It was at least the case with all my previous phones and my friends here are setting the same on others smartphones brands and it’s working. I guess there is a breach in the Fairphone settings.

Thanks to come back to this issue I described an year ago and seems still not to be fixed. At the moment I can’ test because I am presently not in a border region. But as mentioned at the beginning: Under “manually” I still understand, that FP1 shouldn’t switch to an other provider without an “ok” form the user.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I hope that someone will come with a solution or that the breach will be fix in the next Fairphone update.

@tin@Marion: Have you set PLMNs?

@Stefan : Thanks for this solution.
Does that mean that if my French network is not available at all, it will select a Swiss one ? If yes, will it go back to the French one as soon as it’s available again ?

Yeah, I think, if the French network is not available at all, the phone eventually switches to the Swiss one. You could of course try to the delete the Swiss PLMNs (in my case that would be for example “Swisscom” and possibly other too). Maybe this would prevent the phone from choosing a Swiss network.

No, I don’t want that FP1 does it “automatically”- I want to see - as it is in other mobiles - a window where I am asked to choose a network.

I’m afraid I can’t help you with that. Actually I don’t even live near a border, so I also cannot perform any testing. You could try to contact Fairphone support again (I think you have done so already once) and see if they gathered new information about your issue.

So it’s not really fixing my issue because I would like my phone to be on my French network or on nothing. I know that the manual network setting is supposed to work this way, at least this is the case with other cellphones’ brands.

So what “manually” then means?

I’ll ask Fairphone support personally, if they can tell me something about this!

Just yesterday. I was near the border to Italy - and FP1 connected to a Italian provider without any message. I only noticed it because I got an SMS form the provider telling me the roaming rates. “Manually” is something else.

@Techaddict suggested that the setting usually is stored on the SIM card, and if this doesn’t work, he said you should try and turn the phone off and on various times. Maybe the SIM card remembers then.

I don’t really understand. When phone is switching automatically to a foreign provider then i have to switch it off? But FP1 has 2 SIM cards.So if one of them is switching then you can’t use the other one. Makes not really sense for me.

No, @Techaddict suggests that the phone does not remember your choice until some reboots. If you have two SIMs, you have to choose the network for each of them individually.

To be honest, I don’t really believe that this is just a matter of rebooting. My last guess would be to go to Engineer Mode and tweek the network related setting. However you would do this on your own responsibility and In cannot lead you on. Maybe they can help you at some Mediate related forum.

1 Like