Charging problems / tilted position in order to charge

Before I forget it: You might want to try a different USB cable and carefully clean the USB connector first before you decide to start the potentially tricky replacement of the USB connector.

1 Like

Thanks for that! Different cables donĀ“t even work a bit. But be sure i will clean the USB connector before i start the long trip to the USB connector replacement.
Thanks!

Iā€™m having the same problem, could you maybe post a picture of how you get the phone to charge?

Here you are, Kristine!
Mine only charges if you slightly tilt the USB connector, by ā€œrollingā€ the cable around the phone and leaning the phone against f.i. a wall.

I have the feeling I have broken 1-2 charging devices while trying, but this is the only position i can charge the phone.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

This is just the worst.
How could such a crucial part be connected to the motherboard?
And said motherboard not even be available anymore?
I was able to charge the phone by tilting the cable for awhile.
Now not even that works anymore.
This totally sucks.
Fairephone sounded like a nice idea, but things like this make it a total joke.
(Even more crucial is the fact that they wonā€™t make any more OS updatesā€¦
Which is total security nightmare)
Itā€™s too bad that a small company, even with the best intentions, canā€™t deliver a quality phone, that will last for some years.

1 Like

Take your phone to a local repair shop (like one of these) and have them resolder the soldering joints of the usb connector and stop sucking. :wink:

Update is on itā€™s way:

1 Like

I had the same problem and now it does not charge at all anymore. Where do I get this spare connector part?

Nah, just gonna buy a phone that actually works, has spare parts, and does the CRUCIAL (on Android) security updates - on a regular basis! What good is an OS update now, after years of leaving the phone exposed?

1 Like

You can get the spare part from Farnell, but unless you are a soldering pro you will not be able to attach it yourself.

See my post above for more.

1 Like

Yes I have read that and wanted to try to buy one and then try a repair shop. Our do they normally have a suitable connector?

I would contact the repair shop first. Some repair shops like the ones in Berlin (and probably Zwickau as well) have the connector on stock now.

The one in Vienna uses a generic Samsung USB connector, which works just as well, for example.

Okay thanks everyone. I hope this will work out because I hadnā€™t planned to get another phoneā€¦

Donā€™t worry, this is standard procedure for many repair shops. It has worked out for me, although I had to take it to my local repair shop three times because they had difficulties. I have a FP1 though, it might be that my USB connector was even more worn than a FP1Uā€™sā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

just came back from my repair store and they told be the motherboard has broken! so they canā€™t replace the connector. now Iā€™m only worried about my data. does anybody here know if the berlin repair stores can save them?? I have already bought a new phone but wanted to repair my FP1 - now Iā€™m not sure if that can be managed at all. this sucks.

Even if your FP is beyond rescue, donā€™t just throw it away ā€¦ there are many FP1 owners who would love to buy the display if itā€™s in good condition.

Depends on how broken the motherboard is. If theyā€™re saying itā€™s broken around the USB port, but the phone is able to boot, then you could use someone elseā€™s FP1 or a universal charger (examples) to charge the battery, and then copy files over bluetooth or via wifi.
If the board is completely dead, Iā€™m not sure whether there are repair shops that can directly access the memory chips on the board - this could become very tricky (and expensive).

3 Likes

the display has a crack, too, but this would not bother me

yes, thatā€™s what they said, that the board is broken in the place where the connector sits. but i hope the good people at the berlin klinik will know about these tricks?

If the board is able to boot and can somehow connect to the outside world (wifi/bluetooth/SD card), then Iā€™d imagine any decent repair place should be able to get at most of the data for you without too much hassle.