Charging problems / tilted position in order to charge

I think I had similar thoughts when my USB connector broke.

I went to three repair stores - the third finally took my device and repaired it.

Yep, I totally agree. Having a soldering iron is one thing, but actually being capable to use it properly and these days often on tiny, miny smd parts with almost no space between is something quite different.
Someone might simply fry your super thin multi-layer pcb or turn a large part of it info one solid solder block.

1 Like

I feel your pain! I am having the same problem. So annoyed too, as I wholeheartedly support ‘the idea’… my phone is only about 18 months old and my connection is the same. I have read this a few times on here too, which means its a fault with their product, not just a one off.

I have been persevering for months, trying to angle it in any direction so the little red light comes on saying its charging… but sometimes it just drains the battery. Its very poor.

If, like some of your responses suggest, that another repair store could fix it…then why are FP not recalling these ones and welding the connection back on, or whatever these other guys are doing?! Its so disappointing. :frowning:

1 Like

I think that they don’t have the capacity to do microsoldering. If they’d grill your motherboard they would be liable, so they would need some repair professionals, which they simply don’t have. Letting a local shop do the job is your only chance, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

I have just found out that Fairphone cannot fix my less than 18 month old phone (which isnt that old in my opinion!) I opted for FP so if something like this happened, I could fix it myself. Even though this is how they have marketed their phones, Im now left with a faulty product. My phone doesnt charge properly due to a loose connection. I have read on here that others have also experienced this problem, seems like a fault with the model! I’ve been told I need a new motherboard, but FP cant provide it! Can anyone help me??

Contact a local repair shop and ask if they can resolder the USB connector.

1 Like

Until you have found a repair shop and got the USB connector fixed (a compatible replacement USB connector – as you can find deep in the thread that Stefan linked to – is the MOLEX 105017-0001), you might want to get a universal charger that can accommodate a battery of 5.3 cm width.

1 Like

good plan, I didnt think of removing the batter and charging it outwith the phone. thanks. I’ll have a look.

yeh, i just read the same advice on another thread with someone experiencing the same issues. Seems its a common problem, which indicates a faulty product! Also, if it’s fixable by resoldering it, FP should be offering that fix! Thanks for your message.

1 Like

The soldering job is quite tricky, so not every repair shop will be able to do it. And some might not want to risk it. The USB connector is the part at the very top, one third from the left:

Picture: iFixit.com

3 Likes

@KajetanSB @dilemma: I moved your posts here, as this topic deals with the very same problem.

Hi everyone!

That’s not going to surprise anybody here if I tell you that I have the same problem :slight_smile:
Plus the fact that the battery rate is often crashing from 20% to 15% to 7% to 4% in less than a minute… But that’s another issue…

I have the charging problem for a year now I think… And I still had the chance to find ways to charge it. I don’t know why but it seems that the phone has his own humours… For a week I have not so much troubles to charge it (still have to find the good position) and for another week I’m almost living without any phone… Because he refuses every cables or charging positions…

I manage to place a little piece of paper between the USB and the front cover so that the USB stays well pressed against the motherboard. It seems that it improved for a while but now I’m back to the “who knows if I’ll be able to call you tomorrow” period…
I’m about to buy a new back cover (the camera protection is broken, so cannot take any good pictures…) and a new battery because I’m leaving soon for a long trip around the world and I want to believe that I’ll be able to fix my USB connection in a close future.

I went in one repair shop (in a small city in France) and they simply said that they had no insurance to take care of this Fairphone brand. So they simply refused even to touch my phone and see it… I’ll try others sooner or later to see what they can do.
Thanks for the tips about the compatible USB and if I find a repair shop who can deal with this I’ll tell you.
Anyway, what do you think about the possibility to reference all the repair shops which accept to take care of our lovely FP in the same place? Maybe it already exists… But I’m asking in case :slight_smile:
So on my way when travelling if I go in a city where one of you found a good repair shop for USB issues on FP and that my problem is not fixed yet I’ll definitely go say hello :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Yes, here’s the (unfortunately short) list:

I hope people will add more entries! :slight_smile:

Ok great thanks so much!!
I had not read well the message of Stefan and didn’t see that it was a list… My bad…

:slight_smile:

I am having the same problem, thanks for the suggestions here. I’ll give the Vienna shop a try. 49 euros is quite a steep price for something that looks a lot like the consequence of a bad design decision, so count me in on the list of those who believe Fairphone should offer this service… Cheers BG

You would have to pay the shipping costs, if you send them the phone and they repair it. It would not be much cheaper. PS.: It’s 39€.

Really? Their website seems to indicate 49 euros…

If you say that you became aware about their shop via the Austrian Fairphoners, they’ll give you a discount -> 39€.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip!

Soldered! I got my phone back yesterday after leaving it for 1day. It had 100% battery power when I collected it, first in a lonnnng time!!! However it ran out quicker than usual. Iv now had it charging for 6hours and its only got to 17%… But I’m hopeful, for now!

1 Like