Charger ISY IWC 5000 for FP 3+

Is an ISY IWC 5000 charger compatible with the Fairphone 3+?
Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz, 300mA
Output: DC 5V - 2,4 A (total maximum for two USB ports)

I suspect that the charger only complies with Qualcomm Quick Charger version 2.0.

Many Thanks in advance
Rudi

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are soooo many different chargers on the market, that it’s hard to come by someone having experience with a certain device.
The information, that can be obtained online is pretty scarce.
I didn’t find a manual. The ISY homepage doesn’t even list this device, but links to online shops only.

The description on one page states, that the charging current of 5V/2.4 A is divided between the two USB ports.
So, for faster charging, you should use one port at a time only.
Plugging something into the second port at the same time takes away current from the first port.

And the technical data doesn’t mention Quick-charge compliance at all.
And the list of compatible devices from the Qualcomm page (updated 02/2021) does list ICY IWC 3500 only as compliant with Quick Charge 2.0.
So, I would guess, that the IWC 5000 won’t be compatible with Quick Charge 3.0.
You could check out that list for compatible devices.

Btw. Fairphone isn’t listed as well.

Many thanks. This confirms the informations I got so far from the websites you mention too.

If the IWC 5000 would not be compatible with Quick Charge standard 3.0, does that mean that it would not work in any case or would the only consequence be that loading is slower and takes longer (which would increase the lifetime of the battery)?

As far I could follow the discussions in this forum so far, the charging time also seems to depend significantly on the quality of the charging cable (the cable is supposed to be USB-IF certified), although there are also other opinions on this question. Where can I find the current - hopefully conclusive - state of knowledge on this issue?

1 Like

Sorry, I use the charger and cable sold by Fairphone themselves.
A quite expensive solution, I know. I saw it as supporting the good cause. :wink:
Others in this forum recommend Anker charger and cable.

From what I have learned on this forum (I have no other source on this topic; especially no personal experience or knowledge):
Charging time depends on the current. Therefore the charger with 2.4 A should indeed charge the phone fast (the Fairphone charger offers 3.0 A at 5V). I am not so sure, that the charger supports reducing the current at the end to take care of the battery.

Regarding cables.
This seems to be a trial and error case and every cable could - potentially - work.
It’s just, that you are on the safe side, with IF-certified devices, as I haven’t read any posting, that one such cable failed.

But maybe someone more knowledgeable can help here and maybe correct me, if/where I am wrong

1 Like

Hi Thanks this info.

I use a 5.1V 2.4A charger and in five months only twice has it charged quickly. It did charge very slowly when I first had the phone in Oct 2020 but now does it just slowly, about 5 hours to charge.

The unit I have has 2 x 2.4A so the background is well over speck as 5v x 2.4A should charge in 1.5 hours max, which as I said did happen twice.

I have been on the case with Fairphone support and am getting nowhere over this issue. More about that elsewhere ~later :slight_smile:

Other than that I have a post with more detail.

and a post on Battery Charging Basics.

My advice is not to buy the charger you have mentioned as it may turn out very disappointing. The quick charge comes from a 20V compatible charger that communicates with the phone to provide often 9V at 1A for a period and then drops to slow charging at 90%. My method and the charger you mention are not capable of dynamic communication with the phone.

1 Like

Hi, many thanksmuch for yours very informative answers.

Just to clarify:
I do not want to buy the charger from ISY. I use it for my now defective Samsung smartphone. Furthermore, I have several other chargers at various places of work and home, which I do not want to replace all when buying the FP3+ if somehow possible. On the one hand, for cost reasons, since the chargers from FP are not really cheap. On the other hand, this would also contradict FP’s recycling and circular economy philosophy, which I share (and which is the reason to buy this device despite various concerns).

In the following, I will try to summarize what I have learned so far:

If chargers and cables meet the specifications required according to FF’s FAQ (5 V, min 1 A, max 3A) you mentioned above too, they should work basically.

Without the QC 3.0 function, however, (very) long charging times are likely to occur as a rule, as without communication between the charging unit in the FP and the charger, no optimal adjustment of charging current and voltage is possible. Therefore the charging unit of the FP selects - for security reasons - a low charging power.

This non-optimal choice of charging voltage/charging current results in a higher degredation of the battery (compared to a system with QC 3.0), in addition to the longer charging time. However, the basic charging function should still work!

I was unsure about the last point, since FP writes in the FAQ mentioned above: “A charger and cable for the FP3/FP3+ M U S T H A V E the following specifications: … Qualcomm Quick Charge … version QC 3.0”.

I’m also an electrical engineer, but for ease of understanding I tried a colloquial summary. Am I doing the right thing? I am of course grateful for corrections, clarifications and additions.

Hi I was a a radio technician in the Royal Navy albeit in the 60s ::

You seem to present the case well. I have asked Fairphone to give me details of the charging algorithm to see if I can modify my charging. I reside off grid with 12V supply, but no joy from Fairphone on such help.

There’s no reason a 5V 2.4A supply should not be able to charge quickly (1.5) hours, there’s enough power but the phone just can’t get it’s head around that ~ usually. As I said twice it worked fast in 5 months. No heating ever noticed. It seems that the default is a current limitation of approx maybe 660mA :frowning:

By the way when you ask are you doing the right thing, what do you mean? What are you actually doing that could be the wrong thing? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, this was very bad english. I meant, wheater I’m correct in that what I said.

Am I right, that your statement above
“There’s no reason a 5V 2.4A supply should be able to charge quickly (1.5) hours”
should be:
“There’s no reason a 5V 2.4A supply should NOT be able to charge quickly (1.5) hours”

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile: Have edited to insert the ‘not’ ~ and ~ all you said makes perfect sense, so thank you for your contribution.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.