Cases and screen protectors for Fairphone 2

I’ve seen a few threads discussing cases and screen protectors, but I would like to be more specific and ask if anyone has found a tempered glass screen protector that fits well with the slim back cover for the Fairphone 2?

I had a tempered glass screen protector that fit well with the original rubbery back case (I think it was a Brotect one), but I took it off when I got the new slim back cover because it was slightly too big and it was stopping the case from closing properly. Then I managed to slam my car door on the phone just as it fell out of my pocket…and my screen has been broken ever since.

Just shelled out 100EUR for a new screen module (finally back in stock, but so expensive!) and I’m keen to keep it intact this time.

Has anyone found a good screen protector?

1 Like

I use a flip case … protects the entire phone :slight_smile: .

Thanks for the response, I’m really only looking for a tempered glass screen protector though - I use the phone a lot and I don’t find flip cases comfortable to hold for long periods of time!

Lately I have seen a liquid screen protector in a shop.
No idea, if and how good it works; it’s some nano-tech stuff.
Maybe that’s an option. It is said to enhance clarity as well.
A short search has brought up quite a few varieties:
http://liquidprotector.com/

and lots more on amazon:

Anyone having some experience with that kind of protection?
Customer reviews aren’t that bad for many products on amazon.

Sorry, I’m always feeling bad citing amazon, but it’s at least a convenient ressource for product varieties and prices.

Bonjour à tous et toutes!

J’ai reçu mon FP2 il y a quelques jours maintenant, j’en suis très contente et je cherche à protéger l’écran.
J’ai regardé ce qu’il existait en protecteur d’écran en verre trempé qui corresponde à l’écran du FP2…
j’ai trouvé ceci :
http://www.protectionfilms24.fr/produits/protections-decran/selection-articles.html?geraeteklasse=105&marke=Fairphone&modell=28985
Ils proposent une dizaine de protection différentes, toutes pour FP2.
J’aurais voulu savoir si quelqu’un a déjà essayé ? Est-ce que cela rentre dessus (j’ai peur aux petits rebords de la coque…) ? Et si quelqu’un a déjà essayé, quel modèle vous me conseillez, car il y en a beaucoup et je ne m’y connais pas trop…? Est-ce qu’on peut changer ce genre de protection si elle casse par exemple, ou est-ce que c’est vraiment trop collé à l’écran ?

Merci !! :smile:

Hello, j’ai acheté celle-ci en janvier 2016, elle n’a pas vieilli à ce jour, en tout cas pas pas de manière visible. A noter qu’elle est en plastique et non pas en verre. Celle qui s’appelle “airglass” est en verre (j’en ai acheté une de ce type pour un autre téléphone).

Elle s’adapte parfaitement aux coques, ancienne et nouvelle, elle est quelques dixième de mm en retrait.

Pas de problèmes pour retirer ce genre de protection, elle ne sont pas collées sur la vitre du téléphone, elles adhèrent simplement grâce à un film de silicone ou similaire.

I consider buying a bumper for my new FP2. Does anybody have experiences with either this one
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Silikon-Bumper-fuer-Fairphone-Fairphone-2-Schutzbumper-Handyschutz-Schutzring-Bl-/131909719248

or with this one

?

Especially, does the second one, also fit for the FP2 with the slim case?

Any helpful comments are highly appreciated.

1 Like

Many moons later, the mapbagrag bag still is fine… Some usage traces, but totally ok still. Great product

1 Like

If one is registered at shapeways.com, they can send a message to the case designer and ask them about the slim cover. I would do that but don’t want to create an account :wink:

I and another person already contacted the designer. But for any reason he does not reply. :frowning:

As the bumper is flexible I would be really suprised should it fix for the FP2 with regular cover only.

You’re right, it might fit to a variety of phones. However, the first one I posted has a number of drawbacks according to criticism onamazon. First, it is said to be too elastic and too thin and second, it has no slit for USB and buttons.

Some weeks ago, there have been same 3D-printed cases on the shop.fairphone/accessories page. Now I cannot find them any more. Is it known why they aren’t offered any more?

1 Like

Hi, I have a Fairphone2 from Phone Co-op. I’m getting to know it and very happy with it generally. However I am worried that the screen already seems to be looking scratched. I have not managed to find a cover/case that fits, although I have bought a tempered glass screen protector (to stick on, not done yet) that is more or less the right size. Is something like this recommended, or is there a better option? I have also bought a purse to put my phone in as I guess that jangling around in my bag or pocket was not helping much. The ‘case’ on offer on this website is what my phone already has, so perhaps it is robust enough generally, but I don’t want the screen to get all scratched. Any good solutions to all this? Thanks

I think there are several screen protection hammer glasses on amazon, but I don’t use them and my screen is almost not scratched after almost two years :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you already take the protection foil off? Here’s why I ask :wink: .

Edit after move: Just have a look at the posts in this topic here.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s hilarious - it is true I had not taken off the foil protection! It was really non-obvious. Thanks for checking :blush:
Jenny

5 Likes

Hi! What about a cover to protect FP2 during travels? Do you know where could I buy It?

Hello together,

I just ordered a FP2 on ebay (after my Ubuntu Phone died by broken hardware last september (screen became unglued) and the Nexus phone I’ve used now broke down also …

I am quite excited to soon join the Fairphone community. I wanted to ask about your experiences which accessories make sense to protect the fairphone and make it last longer.

• I didn’t see a phone case on the Fairphone website. Is there no need for it? My old BQ Ubuntu Phone had a case with flip-cover which effectively protected the screen from scratches and protected the phone somehow when it fell down (but I already read that the Fairphone has a “rubber” like case to protect from falls).
  • Is a screen protection foil for the phone recommendable?
  • I got the slim case now, as I read that the transparent case is not produced anymore. Is there a shop where you can still get the transparent case?

Thank you for your answers. :slight_smile:

Hi,

• The phone comes with a case-like shell with a back side and knob-colour of your choice. The newer ones come with a so called slim case, the older ones had a rubber shell.
  • I don’t use a screen protection foil. Neither for Fairphone, nor for any previous phone. Never needed it. I don’t know under which circumstances of e.g. scratching it becomes useful.
  • The transparent case is not available as slim case (except if you mean the translucent-darkblue one). I don’t know if this is still produced. You can also print your own case if you want.

The transparent covers were not exactly durable, as the black rubber-like rim and the transparent back used to come apart after some time of use. I would not recommend buying one, should you happen to find one (I myself had 2 that needed to be replaced within less than a year).
As @Amber already mentioned, you can 3D-print your cover like @oli.sax:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/design-files-for-fairphone-2-cover-released/35713/16
When it comes to possible cases, you might want to take a look at this thread: