Can't Create 5 GHz Hotspot after Android 12 Update

The support guys contacted me today after the ticket was not visible to them for days as they claimed. They mentioned

I have checked and I was able to create a hotspot on the Fairphone 4 running Android 13 using the 5GHz band or even dual band and it did not turn off automatically.

and proposed the following:

Can you please check the following support article to see if we can get the hotspot working again?

And - what surprise - it did not help but on top I lost my configured wifi networks. Fortunately I have my device rooted and had those networks backed up :wink:

Tested shortly just now and for me it seems to work, FP4 connected to 5GHz Wlan and FP5 connected with the FP4 shows a 5Ghz connection.

Thats indeed not possible, and should that really work, or does the phone just route the connection/frequency from router to third device?
Btw its the same on the FP5, when connected to 2.4 Ghz wifi the FP5 “hands-over” a 2.4 ghz, same with 5ghz…

For me it still does not work with either 5GHz or Dual Band hot spot. Both immediately get deactivated again. Even after cleaning the connection settings followed by a reboot.

EDIT: In the meantime the support offered to have the phone sent in to the repair center and checked and repaired. But in my opinion the phone is not broken hardware wise, as the problem occured for me only after the A12 update as far as I remember und for me solely is a software topic.

1 Like

Maybe some problem within the settings database? Didn’t they ask for a factory reset before sending the device into the repair center?

They asked for a reset of the Wifi and connection settings, only. Which apparently did not help.

Well, wenn sending it to Cordon you’ll have to do a factory reset anyway - this might then help their “repair”… :wink:

Yesterday I tried to debug this a bit more and I found error messages that the devices wlan1 could not be opened when the AP was activated with 5GHz or dual band.
As I did not find anything else I then tried to disable all modules in Magisk that were related to Wifi in some way: After removing the following the Hotpot works now:

• Magisk Captive Control (replaced with Captive Portal Controller from F-Droid)
  • Wifi Bonding (Qcom)

The latter obviously was the problem in my case. After disabling the wifi bonding the 5GHz AP works fine.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.