Can't connect to wifi

Hello @marta,

do you know the Model/Name of your router (may be printed on it)?
Maybe it has a WPS Function. In this case you wouldn’t need the password.

regards,
Shiny

Hi Shiny,
In the router I have printed WPA / WPA2 / PSK but no WPS. So I guess I have to find another solution.
Thank you very much anyway!

Did you possibly de-activate DHCP on your router? Or restrict it to certain MAC addresses?

You can also login to your router and look at the log there - it should tell you if a device tries to connect, and fails. Maybe, the log can give us a hint why the connect fails.

@humorkritik, I’ll investigate this, thank you.
@Shiny asked me before about the name and model of the router:
Name: Home Gateway
Model:HG532s
Is it useful??
really, thank you all for your help!

Hello again,

sorry, I set a wrong Link. At the correct Article you will find a Photo with a usual WPS Symbol under the blue button. Can you find a Symbol like that on your Router.

regards,
Shiny

I just looked it up, it should have WPS, according to the instructions. Button on the side, Nr. 1 in the diagram. Push this for > 1 sec, until the WPS light blinks. Then, at your Fairphone, push the arrows in the lower left corner of the WiFi menu. Wait up to two minutes. Should be done, then.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @humorkritik. I couldn’t find the button and I called the company and they confirmed me I don’t have the WPS function…they can send me another router with the WPS but…ups…I guess I have a big problem.
I will try to contact Fairphone and try to find a solution.
Thanks again!

Then you apparently don’t have the HG532s, which has WPS, at least according to the manual I could find. Anyway, did you try to turn off your WiFi password, effectively creating an open WiFi?

If you still can’t get it to connect on an open WiFi, there might be other problems with the WiFi (and not your phone) still: if there are many overlapping WiFi networks on the same channel (as often happens in larger cities…), connectivity can be terrible. You could then try to choose another channel, manually.

If there is a problem with your phone, you will also not be able to connect to other networks. As Strbucks and McDonlds are basically everywhere, and offer free WiFi, you could go to your next dreadful fast food corner and try to connect to their network.

Hope that helps. :sun_with_face:

Hi,
I think I have a similar (the same?) problem. I received my phone on Saturday and was able to use the WiFi on Sunday. I installed the updates, some apps, and suddenly the WiFi just stopped working. I’m not quite sure if this happened directly after the last update (I have Android version 4.2.2) or some time later.
What happens:

• I see the network. Sometimes I have full, sometimes I have ok connectivity (even if I’m sitting just next to the router, before the problems started I always had full connectivity). I also see other networks. But like with my network, the connectivity seems to be “jumping”, I see them, then they are gone.
  • I select connect. Directly after this, mostly I can’t see my network anymore. Or it tries to connect, then I just get the message “authentification problem”.
  • When trying WPS, under my network SSID the text “deactived” appears.
    What I have tried:
  • Like mentioned above, I’ve tried WPS.
  • I found some people mentioning the use of the airplane mode and then enabling WiFi again.
  • I changed the password into a shorter one.
  • I changed the encryption (from WPA2 to WEP to completely open).
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated :confused:

Hi Noctima,
What I tried and it worked was to go to the bar next home that has WPS and I could install some of the apps. But it still doesn’t want to connect to my router. I will try some of the things you mention just in case because I can’t use my fairphone normally…I’m worried…
Good luck and thank you very much!

Hi Noctima,
just to get this more clear:

• you have an FP1U (not a FP1),
  • you have Stock Android aka AOSP (not Fairphone OS) installed,
  • you changed the encryption on your router, so you have a open WiFi,
  • you can connect to this open wifi (and others), but are loosing connectivity after some (apparently random) time interval?

Can you give us some info if there are very many WiFis visible when you search for your WiFi? (“Very many” would possibly translate to > 6).

Hi humorkritik,

no, it is a FP1 model with Fairphone OS (I only applied updates). I tried different encryption modes on my router (including WPA2 and open) but I can connect neither to the open nor to the encrypted network. Irregardless of the employed encryption I receive the “authentification problem” error message. As for the number of detected WiFis, it varies from zero to approximately eight. As mentioned above, my own network might indicate full connectivity, and a moment later it’s gone, even if I’m sitting next to the router.

I hope this answers your questions! Thanks for your help!

If even the connection to the open WiFi fails with the error message “Authentification problem”, then something is seriously wrong.

Seeing 8 WiFi’s actually could cause problems in connectivity, as it would be ideal to leave two free channels between each WiFi. (If your router allows it, you could, however, try to go to channel 12 or 13, which are often turned off in many routers due to restrictions in the US.)

Nevertheless, even with 8 WiFi’s you should not get this error message.
I guess you already tried to reboot your phone several times. You could boot it to factory mode an test the WiFi.

1. Turn it off.
  2. Hold volume down + power button.
  3. navigate with volume down to Test Report
  4. choose Test Report with power button
  5. navigate with volume down to WiFi
  6. choose WiFi with power button, try to get a quick glimpse at the output (vanishing fast)
  7. check if WiFi gets an red X or a green 0.

If the WiFi is working properly, you should get the green 0.

This is just a general connectivity test - I did not sniff on it, log it or anything, so I don’t know what actually is done. Probably it’s just a handshake, bur if this works, you should, at least in theory, be able to connect and maintain a connection.

If you get a red X, you definitely should get in contact with support - can’t help you there. If not so… I’ll have to think of something else. Already got a faint idea … :signal_strength:

By the way, @marta, your case seems different, as you could connect to another WiFi properly. I don’t want to annoy you, but have you triple-checked and then again quadruple-checked (with “show password” activated) you’ve got the right WiFi key? The fact that you could connect to a WiFi with WPS clearly indicates that your WiFi modem is working.

You also did not answer the question if you were able to remove your WiFi password from the router (creating an open WiFi), and then connect.

Hi humorkritik,

I’ve tried the WiFi test in the factory mode. Unfortunately, I get a timeout and the message that “No suitable AP” was available. Could it be that something went wrong during the updates?

Thanks again!

I take it that you get a red X with the timeout?

“No suitable AP” actually means there is no access point, meaning: no available WiFi Network. If you report that there are up to eight, it should at least see one? o_O

I’m going to try that at somewhere where I can easily manipulate the WiFi. Maybe, it only tests connectivity on open WiFi, not on secured ones. Should have seen your open WiFi, then.

Just for the fun of it, you could get Fing from GooglePlay, and try out what it gives you if you choose Discover Wi-Fi. If it’s unable to connect at all, you will get a stupid error message sending you back to the WiFi settings - but if you are able to connect, you should be able to explore the network a bit. (Not that this would help you with it’s output, really - but it would show your modem works.)

I’ve tried the report again after changing the encryption back to open: no network available, connection timed-out, no suitable AP… but neither X nor 0. I’ve also just realised that bluetooth isn’t working anymore, so I used the test report on that one, too, and got the red x. I guess something is really wrong and I should contact the support. If I get an answer that might be of interest for others I will post it. Thanks again for your help.

Nothing heard from you in a while. How are you and @marta doing these days? Still troubled by WiFi connectivity?

I’ve contacted the Fairphone support and, in addition to the other suggestions, have even tried a hard reset. Unfortunately nothing worked. I’ve received a new phone two days ago, but haven’t installed any updates yet. But im positive that it will work this time :slight_smile: Thanks for your interest, humorkritik.

I have problems with wifi as well and tried this procedure. what if I get nor a green 0 nor red X?

Cheers Peter