Cannot source compatible charger

Which list do you mean? The manufacturer of this device states, that it is compatible wiht the FP3 and it should charge it. But as it only delivers 5V with 2A, it is not quick-charge compatible.

3 Likes

True, 5V*2A is only 10W and no mention of Qualcomm QC3.0 compatibility.

Charger and cable specifications

FP3/FP3+ uses a Qualcomm SoC. Therefore, you will need to ensure that your charger is compatible with Qualcomm SoC protocols.

The FP3 will charge with any charger from Qualcomm’s official list.

A charger and cable for the FP3/FP3+ must have the following specifications:

• 5 volts (5V)
  • Minimum output of 1 ampere/h (1A, 1000mA). Be aware that this will have a slow charge
  • Maximum output of 3 ampere/h (3A, 3000mA)
  • Qualcomm Quick Charge processor compatible, version QC 3.0
  • The cable must have one USB-C connector and manufactured by a USB-certified brand (if your product has no brand, it is NOT certified).

This Anker QC3.0 is what I recommend.

1 Like

Strangely it does absolutely quick charge, it charged my phone in an hour and says ‘quick charging’ on the screen. Strangely the Anker which I also bought as I didn’t trust my original choice (!) does not quick charge, it took 5 hours and still wasn’t done. Strange…

1 Like

That is, absolutely, very strange… that it says “quick charging” and not “charging rapidly”.

The charging algorithms are a bit off, I’m been waiting for a detailed description from FP for some months.

Usually my phones ‘Charges’ at 1% in three minutes or 5 hours for a full charge. I only had ‘Charging slowly’ in the first week or so (Oct 2020)

I regularly use a 5.1V USBA that can provide 2.4A with a FP USBC IF cable.

A few days ago, for the first time in was ‘Charging rapidly’ at 1% in one minute, three time faster than usual, from almost flat (1% capacity)
And according to the math 5.1V x 2.4A it would take 1.5hours to provide 3600mAh to a 4.4v battery. Given some loss (3000mAh) worked out 1hour 40 minutes to fully charge.

So a quick charge can come from a 5v source if the charger can do 2.4A and the usbC cable can handle 2.4A

The FP Snapdragon 632 can utilize Quick Charge 3, how the main chip can channel or control battery charging I don’t know ???

USBC IF cables have vendor ID’s and are designed to carry 100w, which when using a ‘Quick charger 3’ can supply (20v @ 1.8A) ~:~ (9Vat 4A) to the USBC plug.

The phone module should be designed to convert a higher voltage to 4.2V for charging drawing approx 2A for a quick charge.

The cable will could carry 2A div by 20 over 4.2 or approx 500mA. In practice it’s more likely that the charger will communicate with the phone and provide 9V @ 1A to convert to 4.2V at 2A

The above if just math FP have not answered my query on the actual algorithm in the phone that decides on what current to draw at what voltage.

Apologies if the above isn’t clear, like my head on this issue, and many others

It is quite a dilemma with the chargers and cables. As both have to have certain voltage and current to utilise the full potential of the charging technology, and too many aftermarket accessories are either fake of falsely advertised. So not shipping with the charger or at least cable because of the E-waste is a weak defense in my opinion. It is primarily helpful for the company, then for the planet, then for the consumer. What is funny to me is that by law you have to include headphones in certain countries which contributes to the E-waste. So in that case do you also have to include chargers? Surely they are more important? And I might add in the age of wireless technology, when you no longer need to use plastic for the cable. It just baffles me… the irrationality of it all, the sneakiness, cut an inch here and add an inch there.

The reason why -for example in France- headphones have to be bundled with phones are about to avoid radiation to the head. You don’t have to hold the phone at your face, when you use a headset. So it doesn’t make any sense to bundle wireless headphones, as they are sending radio waves too.

I’m sure there is a massive difference between the radiation emitted by phones and wireless headphones. Maybe I’m ignorant but this particular rule makes no sense to me.

It’s not that massive and taking into consideration, that headphones are sitting in the ear lobe, wheras a telephone is outside, that makes a difference too.
But anyway, the regualtion in France is about radiation, not environment, customer convenience or to make a phone cheaper.

I’ve found this, no doubt not exclusive, list of QC3 compatible charges.
quick-charge-device-list.pdf (565.3 KB)

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.