🏒 Canadian Fairphoners! 🇨🇦

Hello guys !

I just got my FP2 with the open os. I’m using it with Fido in Montreal.

Did you have any issue with the localisation ? I can’t get my position either with GPS, cellular network nor both. It says “Position unknown”.

Thanks !

You may wanna have a look at this:

2 Likes

Hi Folks! Great to see that there is a Canadian community!
Based on the discussion here I feel confident that I’ll get a Fairphone 2 (probably Open OS) for use here in Canada.
I’m based in the GTA (Waterloo), so I will probably follow Jonnydark’s lead and go with Fido.
I’ll probably import the phone through family members in Germany - any recommendations for that?
Andre

4 Likes

Hi @aerler glad you’re joining the Canuck Fairphone movement!

Importing is pretty simple… just have it shipped to your family members then have them ship it to you. I recommend a courier service where you can track where it’s at.

Installing Open OS is really simple. Follow these instructions: Fairphone Open OS Download and Instructions (LINK)

BTW I’m partial of the Translucent cover. It looks amazing and makes it feel like a very special phone.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link.
I kinda agree: the translucent cover makes it look very special!
My concern about importing it is mainly with respect to customs… what was your experience?

1 Like

Translucent covers have proved to be a bit “unstable”…:

If you don’t want to handle a possible warranty return in the future (especially since living outside the EU), I advice you to go for one of the new slim covers.

2 Likes

So, the new slim cases are supposed to be hardier? I would have thought the opposite… but I don’t really have any basis for this assumption…

1 Like

Please follow this discussion to learn more about the new slim case:

1 Like

Hi @aerler

Oh it passed customs no problem!

@Stefan oh no now I’m going to be worried. I’ll just have to cherish it more.

4 Likes

Did you declare the phone for customs or did you have it sent in an undeclared package? I had bad experience with customs before: I ordered a fancy keyboard from the US and had to pay lots of tariff on it…

And Jonnydark, any issues with your translucent cover yet?

@aerler I can’t remember the specifics. I know I had to pay but I couldn’t tell you what anymore. And the clear cover has worked out great for me.

Hey @blutch!

Good to know that tehre are FP2 owners in Canada! I live in an area where Fido/Rogers doesn’t have coverage, Therefore, my FP1 has become useless since I moved here (Gaspésie). I wanted to buy a FP2 but would live to make sure that it would be working with Koodo or Virgin. Any advice (you or anyone!)?

Also can I call Koodo/Virgin tech employees to know if it would work? Can they garantee it?

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

Catherine

1 Like

It might not give you an instant answer, but will certainly get you closer to it:

You will probably need to find out about your potential provider’s band as well to find the definitive answer :slight_smile:

Thanks for the links! :slight_smile: Most of the providers I asked to were not able to tell me this information and were just asking me to try to put a SIM in it… The thing is I want to be sure before ordering the phone! ^^

3 Likes

@CathCw Sure it Will work on koodoo, used my FP2 with then flawlessly for almost a year before moving with Rogers. You won’t have LTE though but won’t notice any difference using FP2

1 Like

@aerler I asked my family member to open the phone, remove all plastics that make it new and send it in another box. Custom declaration: “forgotten phone”. Can’t have any issue with that.

3 Likes

Living in Montreal, having my FP2 since almost a year now. Was part of the very first preorderer. I used it on Koodoo without 4G/LTE as it should be the case with all others providers. Lately moved to Rogers thanks to an awesome company package deal and discovered that Rogers has a LTE backup frequency which is in European range. I am now in LTE :smiley:
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Cheers Fairphone Comrades

3 Likes

@petey, please read a topic to the end and then post once in reply to any posts you want to refer to. :slight_smile: You can either quote someone else’s post (mark text with cursor and press “quote reply”) or refer to someone using @user.

Oops sorry, not regular enough on that forum, I realized too late that something wasn’t going as expected :wink: Thanks for the tips

2 Likes

Interesting idea! Does it come with an instruction manual or anything like that? You wont send this with your “forgotten” phone, right? But I guess you could send this separately as a letter…

1 Like