Can you disable google searchbar on FP4?

I think, we talk about Android 11 in case of the FP4, so there is noch such possibility I know of for Android11.

Maybe maybe not, check out

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/73306757/how-do-i-remove-the-search-box-from-the-bottom-of-the-home-screen-in-android-11?hl=en

It’s possible on Android 10 as well. Not finding any evidence, that this is removed.
Will check it though, as the device arrives.

1 Like

My solution in this case was to install an alternative launcher (Niagara) and nice looking icons (Legam), both from Play Store.

2 Likes

googlequicksearchbox appears not to be the right package. It is still visible on my new FP4. How do I find other packages?

I had the same thoughts as you.

The search bar also bothers me.

I tried many different things over the weekend. All of them ended in disaster! The FP4 was no longer usable in the end. Partly it came to an automatic factory reset, often I had to set it up again myself.

In short:

You can uninstall the Google Apps (adb shell commands), but everything becomes unstable.

I also tried uninstalling FP4’s own Launcher3 and replacing it with Lineage’s original Launcher3.

All without success. Disaster!

In the end, what I have now is that I have disabled all Google Apps, except for “Play Services”, but not uninstalled them. Without “Play Services” nothing works.

I also created and set up a fake Google account. Without that everything is also unstable without end. But do not use it. It is only present in the system.

I only use the f-droid store and install Whatsapp and Spotify via the apks themselves.

As a launcher I have installed the Lawnchair Reborn. Omega Launcher is a fork of Lawnchair. It is also good but too overloaded with features for me.

The Reborn from Lawnchair is “still” very small and fast.

That fits therefore.

You must not uninstall or deactivate the FP4 Launcher3 (FP calls it Quickstep). Then you can no longer use the buttons below. It is somehow firmly anchored in the system.

It will also always show you the search bar. This is hard coded. You can’t get rid of it. Even if there is no search at the bottom anymore. It always remains displayed.

Simply activate a different launcher as default.

As I said, long tried and often reinstalled. You can go the same long way, or believe me :wink:

I’m waiting for LOS4mg or Iode. Since much will be easier again for a google free smartphone. But that will still take time.

As long as the only viable compromise.

1 Like

Never mind. I found a way to disable the google search box in launcher LawnChair: (in Dutch) open Instellingen, vervolgens Lanwchair, Geavanceerd, Extra instellingen, Favorietenbalk. Schakel Zoekbalk weergeven uit.

1 Like

What errors did you have? The only issue I ran into without Play Services was that I was no longer able to send sms and receive system updates (the “check for updates” option in the settings was gone). Everything else was fine. I’m very much looking forward to LOS though, I can’t wait to get rid of all this spyware.

Thousends oft status messages that i have to activate it.
And yes, also the update feature

I just also deactivated every app that complained, or at least disabled the message :sweat_smile:

Thanks man, that helped directly on my FP3.

If anyone need additional info how this works, this youtube video helps.

2 Likes

Finally got my phone and now get what’s the problem.
For me I just have a dead searchbar at the bottom. Hope FP will change their launcher sometime soon…

1 Like

I dont think that this will happen, so everyone who does not want it, should install another launcher from Playstore or F-Droid store.

2 Likes

To fullfill obligations to google to use Android Fairphone have to use their search bar and pass 500,000 tests to get a certificate to use Android.

They could incorporate another launcher, which would just add extra costs, when a user can choose to use another launcher.

For that reason I now use Nova Launcher.
If you are happy downloading apks and installing ~

https://apkpure.com/nova-launcher/com.teslacoilsw.launcher

else you make like to install a launcher from F-Droid as mentioned.

3 Likes

Oh thanks didn’t knew that rule.
Then I might end up looking for a launcher.

2 Likes

Strange, I suspected these procedures meanwhile belonged to the past and were illegal since ~2018 for Google was fined because of forcing manufacturers and users having to initially use their preinstalled search bar and specific apps.

But maybe I got something wrong here. :thinking:

Google muss Milliardenstrafe für faule Taktiken bei Android zahlen
Google klagt EU-Kommission: Strafe wegen Android-Betriebssystem
Änderung bei Android: So können Nutzer die Google-Suche ersetzen
[only German]
There’s plenty to read of.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they are forcing Fairphone but it cannot be removed without further certification checks, then more if Fairphone want to incorporate a third party app ~ so it’s easier and cheaper to let the user install their own launcher to get rid of it.

1 Like

This is the reason why they ask during installation which search engine you want to use for the search bar.

5 Likes

There’s the search bar and the search engine. In the FP3 I used the nova launcher to get rid of the bar.

1 Like

@ amoun

I guess that’s what I’ll be up to until /e/ or so is available.

@Discostu36

That’s what I read of, but since the OS and search bar are installed already I’m curious at which point who will be asked. After registering to a Google account is too late imho.