Can we build a Fairphone 2 by purchasing all its parts?

I’m just curious about all the replacement parts… Could we technically purchase a new fairphone by purchasing all its parts seperately?
Just to assemble it ourselves…

Technically yes. In practice no: the core module is not for sale.

2 Likes

Just yesterday I listened to the Restart Radio and there was this episode about flatpack electronics:

https://therestartproject.org/podcast/flatpack-electronics/

As a complement to the surge in programmes that seek to teach kids how to code, products such as Kano and Pi-top also aim to demonstrate the worth of understanding how hardware works. There are differences in the way we engage with items we have built ourselves, which is evident across a wide range of ages.

I think that a self-assembly kit of the Fairphone 2 would take the story-telling device to a new level and could serve an educational purpose.

7 Likes

True, but then again shipping the FP2 disassembled would probably result in a bigger package, higher transportation cost (battery might even be shipped separately?) and a better chance of something getting damaged during transportation.
Also the FP2 is basically already a self-assembly kit. You only have to take 2 minutes of your time to disassemble it first. :wink:

1 Like

Your points are of course valid and people, who dare to buy an unassembled phone are probably the same to take apart their designed to open phone when it arrives.

A PH0 screw driver should be offered in the shop and at resellers, though. That would take the FP2 closer to the idea of a self-assembly kit. (Wondering if the FP2 will ever be in the Fairphone shop again… :roll_eyes:)

PS.: Does “self-assembly” actually mean that something assembles itself? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well my self-made cake for the austrian fairphoner’s birthday celebration definitely didn’t make itself. :wink:

4 Likes

I like the idea of a build kit for the FP2. :ok_hand:
It would be quite a simple one but anyway.

@Douwe
Why is the core module not available anymore? (low demand?)
And what are we doing when the buttons are failing?

They look replaceable but w/out parts… not possible.

Best,
Patrick

5 posts were split to a new topic: (Why) Was the Core module (n)ever available in the online shop?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.