Can FP2 operate without battery?

It looks like a stupid question but for stationary use and to not strain the battery, I think it will be useful if you could remove the battery and have the phone running on a charger.
I know there are smartphones who can work without battery and others don’t.
I obviously don’t want to risk any damage, so I won’t just try it.
Is there anyone with experience in this field or very good knowledge about the battery and charger electronics to answer this question?

3 Likes

Only fastboot mode boots without battery. Warning! I don’t know if it flash partitions properly, I only booted into it and checked the command line.
Normal boot and recovery mode don’t boot properly (both bootloop).

In my experience, for like 20 Android phones I’ve tinkered with in six years, only one booted and worker properly without battery (Huawei G740/Orange Yumo).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

fastboot boot with a signed TWRP image fails with the error:

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.344s]
booting...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.359s

Edit: Ok, some minutes later I have tried again and there are no errors. The phone ends up in a boot loop though… :frowning: I’m trying to get a photo that I took with this FP2, but I sold the battery to friends, who needed a new one… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

While this would have been a very interesting loophole, its failure means @Roboe was right.
Even if you use fastboot to boot a recovery, you are booting a recovery mode, which doesn’t work.
@Roboe only said you could boot Fastboot mode, not that you could do something meaningful with it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.