Camera question FP4

Hi everyone,

I recently got a FP4 but I’m struggling getting decent pictures. I mainly take pic of my indoors rabbits and I’m aware we don’t have the most amazing lighting but I get most pictures with a very grainy texture. I read using other camera apps it works better so downloaded one and it looks better, but I’m not sure if I still should be getting better quality pictures or not. Could someone advice on the best app for the camera?? also, I would appreciate if someone can tell me if this picture should look better. It’s done with gcam port, with 2x zoom all default settings. That’s the best picture I was able to take.

Thanksssssss so much!
Laura

2 Likes

There are some diskussions in the fp4 forum about this topic. I have posted also some example photos. But there are people outside, which like the image noise and dont want a better automatical quality. Or they dont believe, that Fairphone is able to do develop it like the big players. Maybe you have more success, then no one described this issue so heartwarming as you. I really hope the Fairphone developers are reading this issue. and try to make indoor photos better. The quality of indoor photos is for me the most annoying thing with my fp4.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for replying this fast. I really appreciate it. I hope the developers take note too :sweat_smile:. I can’t wait to be able to take better pictures of my two bunnies.
Thanks again!
Laura

1 Like

Which Gcam Port did you use? I would def avoid to use digital zoom ,espacially under low light conditions.

Try to use Portrait mode (when the rabbits are sitting still)

1 Like

Hi
I used the one that was shared in the camera discussions here in the forum. There was link to download and I used that.
I will try what you suggested. Thank you!
Laura

It looks better. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

How cute :blush: seems the black one was more in focus of the camera. Unfortunately black and white is always tricky for cameras.does this Gcam Port ask you to tap to focus in Portrait mode? I used the portrait mode last week on my FP3 outside with dogs and found the results really good as long as the dog would sit quite still what this guy never does, but still not to bad

3 Likes

Your picture looks very good!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes, I was focusing on the back one to see how it was dealing with the contrast. It’s better than my previous phone but it had a very bad camera so I can’t really compare :sweat_smile:.

I will keep testing it. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Hi
I take photos for my websites and at the Pixel size you have, 382KB, is a rather low level jpg file saving format, given
a) The Pixel size indicates a 4.4MPx shot
b) The camera can also take 48MPx shot in good lighting
so maybe that is part of the problem,
c) plus you could ask the rabbits to stop hopping around, that would show the greatest improvement. :slight_smile:

Here is an image that has been cropped and so has been degraded probably twice, and is only 1.1Mpx (900Kp x 1.28Mp in size but 271KB in file size.) i.e. technically still around three times more info per screen pixel.

So it all may just be the camera settings.

3 Likes

Oooooh. Very interesting.
Thanks a lot! I will investigate it this evening. :blush:
I will also have a chat with the bunnies so they cooperate :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Given the concerns people have with how bad they think their camera is, comparisons may help alleviate some concerns, so here is a continuation elsewhere

• The sensor size and lens size are the deciding factors
  • Resolution isn’t such a bit deal as high end digital can outperform AgNO3 on celluloid.

You said top equipment, so let’s see what 75 lines/mm comes out to as a starting point. A “line” is actually one complete light-dark cycle, so you have to allow for at least 2 pixels per line width. So the 75 lines/mm becomes 150 pixels/mm, which means a full 35mm frame would have 5400 x 3600 pixels = 19.4 Mpix.

Interesting read.
Maybe wie should open a thread in another category.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.