Camera app questions

Hi People,

I just switch my FP4 to Eos, i don’t really like OpenCamera native app, i found the UI uggly, not user friendly and the quality not convincing.

I’m thinking about switching the camera app to the stock one or the Gcam port. But i don’t want to loose the “open-source” and “privacy” advantages, so :

• Does the Gcam port still a google product with the data send to them or does it become disconnected to google ?

• If Gcam still googlised, do you think ControlTracker or Netguard are enought strong to stop the connection between them ?

• If no, does the stock camera app is open source ? And could it be reinstalled into Eos ?

-And finally if its not posible do you know a good open source and privacy friendly camera app alternative to them?

I appreciate your help.
Thanks.

According to NetGuard the only internet access that the GCam port has ever tried was to https://crashlyticsreports-pa.googleapis.com and I can block that. I don’t know enough about these ports and NetGuard to say if this is really a 100 % bulletproof setup. As far as I know the stock app is not Open Source.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum

I don’t really know, but which Gcam are you wanting to use.

Have you seen

Requires GApps or a replacement like microG

Well it may say that but I’m de-googled, to a degree, - no account - and use neither GApps or microG ???

I have installed the Wichaya Gcam Port and it had never tried to establish an outside connection.
But if it would to do it can be blocked by netguard or TrackerControl.

1 Like

Thank you to the three of you for your answers and help.

Well it may say that but I’m de-googled, to a degree, - no account - and use neither GApps or microG ???

I don’t use neither any app from the playstore or apps which need google service, MicroG is useless for me. But maybe this will change now with Gcam. :slight_smile:

I have installed the Wichaya Gcam Port and it had never tried to establish an outside connection.
But if it would to do it can be blocked by netguard or TrackerControl.

Well i will give a try then. and see if Trackcontrol show something.

2 Likes

I could have added that I do use the Nikita Gcam port on the FP3

You can use Gcam Services Provider instead of MicroG. :slight_smile:

How to install and use Google Camera Port:
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-port-hub/

1 Like

Thanks for your help,
I should test the Gcam service provider but i’m under /E/os and microG is native.
I seeon github i’m not able to install Gcam service provider if microG or Google Play Service are already installed.

So i still have the preview problem, after taking a pic can’t see what i shot in the cam app.
Need to leave and go to gallery.

Same for you @AlphaElwedritsch ?

Regards.

Settings → Advanced → Use a third-party gallery

4 Likes

Thanks it did the trick !!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.