CalyxOS (is coming to) is here for FP4!

3.9.0 has been released as beta:

Not a whole lot of changes, works fine so far :slightly_smiling_face:

Link to the 3.9.0 factory images. The naming inside the .zip is still strange (FP4-sq3a.220705.003.a1), but the relevant file has changed, so these are actually updated images.

3 Likes

So I flashed Calyx today coming from a new FP4. Everything went fine!
I had decided not to lock the bootloader anyway, but after the first boot in CalyxOS I rebooted the bootloader and checked fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability out of curiosity: it is set to 0.

1 Like

I hear about bootloader lock problems not only with Calyx, but also with other Custom Roms. That’s why I haven’t tried to flash a custom ROM again. I wonder if there will be a solution to this problem at some point. Or is this a problem with the firmware? But then it could become an unsolvable problem.

1 Like

Fairphone is working on this…however is doing so since April already, so who knows…

3 Likes

And OEM unlock option is greyed out in developer options? Or could you change it there?

Yes it is and I cannot change it.

1 Like

@hirnsushi
How did it work with Automatic System Updates disabled?

Will there be a install now button or so?

I don’t know :man_shrugging: I couldn’t wait, as soon as the news popped up in my feed reader I hit “Check for updates” :see_no_evil:

Ok, so I will see when stable arrives.

3.9.0 was released a few minutes ago as stable :-). Just check for a Software update.

4 Likes

Hm ok, so it looks like nothing happens when Automatic System Updates is disabled.

I can click on the Changelog, and it already shows the 3.9.0 changes,

but there is no automatic offer/question to download or install this new release. :face_with_monocle:

I will wait another day, but probably I will have to hit “Check for updates”.

Did you (@hirnsushi / @Singulus ) uninstall Magisk before or just run the OTA update and then install Magisk to inactive slot (before reboot) as last time?

I had to follow the usual Magisk OTA update procedure and restore the image beforehand, so this seems to be a normal delta update again.
No idea why the last one was a full OTA :man_shrugging:

I uninstalled before starting the update, let it run and before rebooting chose install to inactive slot. No problems and now on a stable branch :-). If there just was some work on a fully-featured camera app :-/.

Edit. Weird is, that I am unable to open the changlog now AFTER the update is installed?

How did you coordinate/control it, if it installs the update automatically?
It should more or less happen when you see in my post some weeks ago, and the download just starts when the stable is available.
At which point do you uninstall Magisk?
Do you monitor when it becomes stable and then quickly uninstall?
Or did you quickly uninstall Magisk, while the update was downloading (which takes a while)?

Normal OTA updates (delta, not full) will just quietly fail if you don’t restore the unpatched boot.img.
Plenty of time to prepare your system for the next (manual) try at that point :smirk:

1 Like

I just saw CalyxOS Update Client downloading and install popping up on my device and after that it disappeared. So looks like this:

happend.

I would say Automatic System Updates disabled, does more or less nothing. :man_shrugging:

Well, the explanation underneath says “Apply updates when the device restarts”, so it was always a long shot :man_shrugging:

But since delta updates just quietly fail and full OTAs don’t automatically reboot your phone, I don’t really see an issue, if all you care about is staying rooted.

You can always use the firewall to remove Internet permissions for the CalyxOS Update Client :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah good point, but as you explained.
No real issue anyway.
Would only be a problem when the update does “something” and leave the phone in an not bootable state.

Update: Followed the usual Magisk OTA update procedure and I’m on 3.9.0 now as well.
Different patch state at nearly all the levels ^^

I uninstalled, hit search for updates - got the update installed and reinstalled afterwards :).

1 Like

Too bad they missed the last FP4 update… hope we will get an update, even if Fairphone is not yet Android 13 ready.