CalyxOS (is coming to) is here for FP4!

That shouldn’t make a difference, I always run adb reboot / fastboot reboot instead of using the menu when flashing devices :man_shrugging:

But since I wanted to test what happens if you don’t reboot anyways, might as well test if there is different behaviour somewhere :+1:
I’ll follow this up in the other topic, since I’m only testing FPOS on the other device for now.

Edit: Just to clarify this part:

get_unlock_ability gets reset on the first regular boot, so once you reached full userspace it’s already too late. Or did you mean something else with extended boot menu? :thinking:

1 Like

My thoughts were as fallows:
Is there maybe a difference to reboot, after first restart, in bootloader to unlock to bootloader if you restart via extended boot menu “long press power buttton/restart/bootloader” or via “adb reboot bootloader”?
Is in both situation the unlock_ability reset to 0?

But, maybe it makes no diffence. It shuold not…

I’m still not entirely sure what you mean by extended boot menu, sorry.

If we are talking about the menu that pops up when long pressing the power in a regularly running system, you already went to far to prevent it. The same goes for adb reboot, at that point the flag has already been changed.

If you mean the bootloader menu, I have tried every possible way to reboot the phone before the first start, as documented in the other thread. As long as you don’t boot into proper Android it’ll stay on 1, as soon as you start the regular system it’ll change, haven’t found a way around it (yet) :man_shrugging:

1 Like

there’s a new update, 3.5.1:

Location indicator and Safetynet fix

those of your who run Calyx, have you managed to make the phone find the update? I’ve been checking for the past few days with no results. Calyx doesn’t support root and/or unlocked bootloader, so they won’t assist with that.

So do you have an unlocked bootloader? I think (but I am not 100% sure) that CalyxOS will only receive the updates if the bootloader is locked.

Anyway, I have it installed. Very soon after I switched on my phone (bootloader locked), the updater was downloading the update and all I had to do was to restart.

So if understand you correctly you rooted your phone?
Then the regular procedure applies:

That’s how I update my Calyx installation as well, otherwise the installer will just stop.

2 Likes

So if I understand you correctly, a locked bootloader is not mandatory to receive OTA for CalyxOS?

Nope, it works just fine unlocked :smiley:
The installer only fails because it’s checking the hashes for the partitions it should be updating and since Magisk changes the boot partition it will stop and throw an error.

2 Likes

good to know that there’s a workaround! out of curiosity though, what images does the “restore” part refer too? is it just the stock boot.img? because it looks like I don’t have it on my device since I just flashed the one you’ve posted earlier in the thread and Magisk complains about about the lack of a stock backup. but if it’s just that, then I guess I’ll just get the one packed in the .zip from the Calyx website and follow the rest of the steps properly.

Yes, it just restores the boot partition :+1:

When you reinstall Magisk, I would go the fastboot boot route, makes OTA updates a lot quicker.
There’s also the option in the app to install Magisk to the other slot after an update and before rebooting, but I haven’t tried that yet. Not sure if Android Verified Boot likes a patched boot partition on the first boot after upgrading :thinking:

1 Like

that worked just perfect, I’m now rooted on the latest update. thank you for holding my hand through the process (:

2 Likes

This worked great on stock FPOS :metal:
I’ll have to check my backups before trying that on Calyx, but if it works there as well this would speed up OTA updates & rerooting immensely! :smiley:

Update: Works great on Calyx as well :slightly_smiling_face:

would you be willing to share how to install Magisk and root in CalyxOS using the other slot?

Sure, installation works like it always has:

Just use the Calyx boot.img from the Factory Images instead. I’ve already uploaded patched CalyxOS 3.5.0 & CalxyOS 3.5.1 boot.imges, so you can skip ahead to the 3rd step.

Once an OTA update arrives follow those steps:

1. In Magisk press :wastebasket: Uninstall Magisk“Restore Images”
  2. Install OTA-update and don’t reboot
  3. In Magisk select :inbox_tray: Install and choose “Install to Inactive Slot (Atfer OTA)”, reboot and have fun

As always don’t follow any of those steps without proper backups!!!11 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

When I install Magisk and root, does the bootloader have to remain unlocked? Or do I just have to unlock the bootloader every time after OTA-updates to reinstall Magisk?

Also, with root and Magisk, will SafetyNet attestation still work?

@R2D2
Lock and unlock always results in a wipe.

4 Likes

Yes (AFAIK as magisk changes the boot image it would result in a bootloader integrity check failure when locking the bootloader).

2 Likes

I’ve answered that same question just 12 hours before you asked, please try to use the search function :pray:

You’ll find that answer in the root topic as well: FP4 Root Access is possible, maybe a bit risky - #61 by Aaanze
TL;DR it’s possible, but it’s complicated and by no means reliable. If you depend on SafteyNet for something important, I’d suggest not to use Magisk.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for all the info. I’ll try to do better with the search function. The thread is very long and both Magisk and bootloader are very common words. But it’s probably best to go through that thread in more detail anyways.

I wish someone would just make a signed rom with root built-in. I don’t get nor do I agree with the notion that having root is inherently less secure. It’s a strawman argument imho, but that’s a discussion for another thread …

Thanks again @hirnsushi (btw I like the username)

1 Like

Additionaly, now that Magisk has been upgraded to version 24 for quite a while introducing noticable changes including zygisk, the modules mentionned in the quoted post are now outdated.

Long story “short” it is still possible to get a SafetyNet pass and a working gpay app with:

Magisk 24 installed

with the following settings:

• Zygisk enabled
  • Exclusion List enabled (with google framework, play store, gpay checked)

and the following modules installed:

• GPay SQL Fix
  • MagiskHide Props config
  • SQLite3 Universal Binaries
  • Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.2.1
2 Likes