Call quality and noise cancellation (regular calls, handsfree, Signal voice messages, Microsoft Teams video calls)

No, it doesn’t show any difference. The only thing changing is the little “5G” turning into “4G”… :thinking:
I’m not surprised, if this was the culprit I would had noticed it back when I tried to see if 5G was causing the issue, some months ago (see further up the thread).

I do not think it’s network-related, because (for me at least) it’s random, without any discernible pattern, and independent of location (I move a lot). And I use my phone professionally, which unfortunately means a lot (>1h/day), so I get a lot of test opportunities…

Besides my always moving around, there are a couple of locations (house in the boonies, office in big city) which I spend a lot of time in (weeks in a row), and while in those locations the problem isn’t consistent as one would expect, especially in the boonies where the phone always connects to the same mast. One would expect it to always display the same behavior, but it doesn’t. Sometimes it works flawlessly, other times it’s almost unusable, and that can change during a single call.

That high level of randomness seems to contradict any infrastructure problem. There might be one, but it can only be a co-factor, there must also be a fundamental problem inside the phone (hard- or software). It’s the only logical explanation for why so many people across so many different ISPs and locations have the same problem – or not.
To put it differently, if people using some specific ISPs, or using their phone in specific locations, all had a similar problem (and nobody else), one could assume it’s some infrastructure issue. Right now there is way too much variability, the only constant is the phone…

When there is a noice in the background, people I an talking to, complains, that they can only hear sound bites. I can see, that more users have the same problem.
Is it something, I can fix, or what can I do?
I just “upgraded” from a fp3, and have not had this problem before

Hi and welcome to the community, i moved your post here , some people have reported issues, see above, without a real solution,ä.

Hi again
So, will there be solutions to the problem? Or a suggestion as to whether it is a hardware or a software issue?

Best wishes
Anja

Hi and welcome to the forum

As this is primarily a user forum you are unlikely to get a ‘real’ answer. To answer that you may want to contact support@fairphone.com to let them know of your concerns and if they are aware of the issue etc.

Essentially Fairphone do not read the plethora of topic here, let alone the individual posts. Their main use is to notify of updates, especially OS updates and those they do monitor.

Seems mine is facing the issue as well.
Symptoms are: bad quality, echo, etc. Witnessed in Teams and Phone.

Seems that it’s only happening when in “handheld” mode. If I switch into a “speaker mode”, things get back to normal.
I know it doesn’t help much :frowning:

2 Likes

This issue that my clients complain that they can’t hear me and if they can the sound I horrible made me give up on my FairPhone and go back to my old iPhone 12.

I’m sorry but when basics like this fails :cry:

I loved the idea and gave FairPhone almost a year.

2 Likes

I’ve had the phone for 2 years soon, and I’m in the same boat as you. The call quality is nonsense, I can’t hear people and they can’t hear me.

My new workplace will be giving me a workphone next week and depending on how strict they are about its usage, I might just sell the FP4.

It’s apparent to me that the FP4 developers aren’t using the phones themselves, or this would have a higher priority.

1 Like

Or they just use the combination of phone holding and provider, where the problem does not occur.
For me that is:

• Holding the phone on the edges on the lower half or use an BT headset
  • Provider O2 Germany (or better a reseller of that)
3 Likes

If only that existed… I have the problem intermittently, not all the time, and haven’t been able to understand what triggers it, there doesn’t seem to be any pattern. Sometimes calls are crystal clear, other times (or a couple minutes later) calls with the same persons from the same locations using the same phones are choppy. :frowning_face:
Also, using a headset (whatever it is) does unfortunately not fix it for me, I always use a (wired) headset when working (so I have my hands free) and still get my share of choppy calls.

I’ve tried any combinations of 4G/5G/landline, to the same provider, to a different provider, international calls, people using Android, iPhones, nothing changes. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I feel like the Titanic radio operator trying to get his last message through…

The only thing I didn’t try is changing provider, that kind of hits the limit of how much hassle I’m willing to pay 660€ to go through…

2 Likes

Unlucky you. For me it seems that this - like some other problem - is not always the same problem, even if the description seems to be the same.
Did you by instance have a chance to try out a different provider using some kind of a prepaid plan?

:thinking: Indeed, I too have the nagging suspicion there might be several, different problems here.

In my case, there is one problem probably with overenthusiastic noise canceling (or some such, since it reliably happens when there is lots of background noise around me), and another, unrelated problem with sub-optimal telephone connection sound (missing bits) getting badly post-processed, making it even worse.

Yes, I could buy some prepaid plan, but as I said it’s too much hassle, because simply entering the SIM won’t be enough. Given the (my) problem is intermittent. I would need to actually use that new account for a while to gather any statistically significant data points…
And I definitely don’t have the time or the mood for that. Not while being stuck here working while my whole family is at the beach having fun… Also why bother when Fairphone doesn’t care. :imp:

1 Like

I agree, this kind of tests should be done by FP support team.
In my case, I have noise issues when I activate speakerphone on classic phone calls, not tested with apps as WhatsApp or Teams. Compared with a Samsung S10, with S10 no noise at all in the same situations.
I’ve opened a ticket to FP support.

3 Likes

I have this same problem now. people can barely hear me on the other side.

The solution (or hack really) is to use a usb-c headset / earbuds with microphone until Fairphone support can solve this in the firmware / software.

1 Like

Just a question to those having mic issues. Have you tried installing lineage? Haven’t Been in the forum much so correct me if it isn’t possible but is downgrading to a11 an option?

Android 11 or 12 didn’t make a difference for me in terms of mic quality (noise cancellation in particular). So I don’t think you’ll benefit from downgrading.

Fairphone 4 - call or WhatsApp audio messages loadspeaker or microphone not working

When trying to call someone using the loudspeaker / microphone and having the phone NOT close to my ear and mouth it´s not working, the other person can´t hear me (properly) or not at all.

Im not covering and holes with my hand afaik. As suggested in those topics about the FP3
Microphone not working during call while using speaker option - Help / Fairphone 4 - Fairphone Community Forum
No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot - Help / Fairphone 3 - Fairphone Community Forum

Similar problem but the other way round with WhatsApp audio messages:
It´s super hard for me to understand those, they´re super quiet and very hard to understand and whenever I move the phone they tend to stop playing.

I´ve already performed that hardware test procedure without any insights, all good according to that test.

I slowly start to think, that FairphoneOS is buggy while LineageOS isn’t… IMO :confused:

I moved your post here and as you can see above there are various issues for some and its difficult to really to find anything common. i would contactsupport

1 Like

I experience almost all the issues on Lineage also