Calendar sync on FPOOS howto

Hello !
I searched and id didn’t found easy to understand what does the job.

So after hours and day’s of probing i wish to share my test’s and ask your knowledge to complete it !

First for beginner’s:
A Calendar on Androïd and other phones are done with three application’s (mostly in the system).

1. An interface (aCalendar is a nice one) this application may have a local storage and is the one who may do some notification (that’s what most of us need) and may wake up the phone if necessary…
  2. A synchronisation, this topic is about some of them! this application may have a local storage and is the one who may create an account (a server link) for your calendar or just get or push some files locally.
  3. and Optionally a server interface like Email, Ical, DAV ETESync or your Owncloud.

What I want to do is get and push from my local calendar from my FP2 all different kinds of calendars!
Why ? because my friends my partners, my customers and maybe your “boss” are not friendly whit the default manually push and get notifications via an email …

First and mainly asked things is how-to get it with a gmail account:
Go online with a web-browser to get (if you have the access) the ics link; it’s like:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/name_of_user%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics
You found it in the parameters, click on the account, search the public ical address (don’t forget to make it public) or if it’s for your use the private address, then copy the link.

Second i am not talking about a server ! Look at the other topic’s

So the Knowledge option’s:

(6 lines / 11 colon's for a spreadsheet)
Name ; Version ; local ; .ical read ; .ical write ; dav ; etesync ; owncloud ; outlook/email; Easy ?; comments
ICSdroïd; 1.5.4;  local yes ;  . ical read with Timer ;  .ical write no ;;; owncloud yes ; outlook/email yes ; Easy to use ;Very good but no export !
DAVdroid; 1.11; local yes ; . ical read no ;  .ical write no ; DAV with Timer ; ; Owncloud maybe ;; ok ; It maybe possible to sync trough the server but that’s not what I want...
Etesync ;;;;;; Not tested ;;;; It maybe possible to sync trough the server but that’s not what I want ...
ownCloud;2.7.0;;;;;;Not tested;;;It maybe possible to sync trough the server !
Calendar import-export;2.6;local yes; . ical read manual; .ical write manual; ;  ; owncloud yes ; outlook/email yes ;
Calendar import-export : Synchronises all your entries and make a count of all entries, but only manual sync, no time interval if online ! For gmail with Calendar import-export, paste the URL in the import section
To export in gmail with Calendar import-export chose under “calendar selection” the gmail account whit the right URL

Same as above but more readable text:

Name Version local .ical read .ical write dav etesync owncloud outlook/email Easy? comments
ICSdroïd 1.5.4 yes with Timer no yes yes Easy to use Very good but no export!
DAVdroid 1.11 yes no no DAV with Timer maybe ok It maybe possible to sync trough the server but that’s not what I want…
Etesync Not tested It maybe possible to sync trough the server but that’s not what I want …
ownCloud 2.7.0 Not tested It maybe possible to sync trough the server!
Calendar import-export 2.6 yes manual manual yes yes
  • Calendar import-export: Synchronises all your entries and make a count of all entries, but only manual sync, no time interval if online! For gmail with Calendar import-export, paste the URL in the import section
  • To export in gmail with Calendar import-export chose under “calendar selection” the gmail account whit the right URL

So Your knowledge would be nice if it could sync a bit more …
Thanks

1 Like

I sync my calendar with Nextcloud (Owncloud before) using CalDav, contacts are synced with CardDav.

Beware that you cannot sync a specific calendar entry with multiple servers (unless your sync interface would do this job, but I am not aware of any).

I am not sure I fully understand your question. I always used Davdroid to sync my calendar which is hosted at posteo.de (included in the 1€ per month mail account).

Android has a calendar provider (storage) build in. Davdroid syncs the server with that storage. You can use any app that uses this to display and modify calendar entries. I use the Google Calendar app (Which you don’t have on FPOOS).

You can also use a third app for ICS calendars and ICAL import/export.

I even use a fourth app: Birthday Adapter, it shows my the birthdays of all contacts (also on posteo, synced with Davdroid).

1 Like

Hello Ben thanks for your reply but you use YOUR server, that’s ok for your but not for job or friends…
The stock FPOOS calendar is not multiple source calendar and to use DavDroid thats ok if your contacts (business or friends) using it a s well but, mostly for users it will be an “outlook like” calendar or a Gmail …

To clarify the topic:
At moment i use “Simple Calendar” with CalDav Synchronisation on (for multiple calendar sources and because each calendar has is own colour ) then i import automatically gmail calendars with ICSdroid.
What i am missing is the automatic export/sync to gmail … i have to do it manually trough an Email or use another calendar (because ICSDroid does not allow writing) to export it trough the app “Calendar import-export”…

Hello Amber thanks for your reply but you use YOUR server, that’s ok for your but not for job or friends…
If you are a bit paranoid it’s not good to spread your private “thing’s” to third’s !

Hi @ursh15, I have answered sync options according to your prepared table.

Also I don’t really understand your answer, because the sync engines remain the same for any servers like these which are good also for job sync - as long as company policy and access restrictions allow.

1 Like

Hello Amber,
I have to apologise, a believed you where talking about CalDav Server.
But i think you are talking about CalDav-Sync / CarDav-Sync , but this is not working on my FPOOS 18.03.1 and yet i think Google has deactivated the old gmail logon that CarDav-Sync use (if you want add an gmail account in CarDav-Sync you get an error: disalowed_useragent).
Maybe you have installed Open Gapps ?
Anyway thanks for your reply.

I use DavDroid an app available through F-Droid.

1 Like

Hey ursh,

CalDAV is a protocol used by apps like CalDav Sync or Davdroid and the like which can be used with any servers with CalDAV support, as it is Nextcloud.

I thought I could complete your spreadsheet with this information, because you were talking about partners, customers and your boss, therefore I thought you need to connect to different servers.

When your only goal is to synchronise with your Google account, then why not use CalDAV? I think Google still allows regular CalDAV protocol support, why do you want to export via Gmail? You mean Gmail as email exchange, right? Do you want to distribute some of your calendar entries to other parties? Then you need to share your calendar entry and as such you export it manually to a mail with an ics attachment.

If you just want to sync your android calendar with your Google calendar then according to https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1097284 just add the the following URI to your favourite CalDAV protocol app https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/caldav/v2/ adding the calendar ID from the web page and adding /events. So if your calenderId was somename@gmail.com the url would be https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/caldav/v2/somename@gmail.com/events.

To login you need your Google account credentials. If you have 2-factor login turned on you need to set up an application specific password first. Then you should have no trouble to sync.

Finally you connect your calendar with the named sync sink as set up in your favourite CalDAV app.

1 Like

Hello Amber,

It took me long time to give you an answer because i tried a lot of things without having found the tricks…

No it’s not the only goal. As i said, i have clients, and customers that do have already set up a google calendar for sharing…
A (cla)Dav server is again another way for spraying data’s around the world, i’m not only concerned about the privacy and security but, as well about the useless energy that this method’s do need. And so the Fair"phone" goal without google stuffs is again not reached.

Yes, that’s the way i do use it, but it’s not convenient for some partners…
For them i have to go online and browse to their gmail calendar then change directly on the web the entry, but this is not easy on a smartphone, so i do it on the computer.
thank’s anyway for your post’s.
Greeting’s

Hi everybody,
I hope someone will read this. Since it’s a long time ago there was a post here.
Anyway. I just switched to FPOOS and now I want to sync with my google calendar. I’ve followed the instrucitons above but I can only sync my contacts with DAVdroid.

If searched the web and found out that there was a previous link (something like www.google.com/calendar/…) that is now not working anymore. However. If I use this link I see the CalDav being displayed in DavDroid.

So now I’m using the https://apidata.googleusercontent.com/caldav/v2/calID/events
Login with my email
and ass password I use the app password generator from google
I even activated the CalDav API in google. But with no effect neither.
I just keep on seeing the cardDAV not the calDAV :frowning:
What is going wrong here?

Hello JorisVerbeke
I’m not sure what’s exactly the problem but if you want to use a ‘server’ to sync there are a lot of post’s around how to do it. A good start to look:

Synchronising calendar with Android

If you don’t want to use a server and don’t use ‘gapps’ or other google emulator, you can only get the data’s from the google calendar, you can’t (not) upload or edit entries (as i know).
To retrieve or send an entry with a ‘dav’ sync program/server you have to allow it in the google account, google for it !

I find an application that doe’s synchronise with about every server but not local files:
Onecalendar !

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.