I most definitely did not, I don’t think it was on the lineage tutorial, or was it ?
Technically what will be the effect on my device ? Because I do not experience any issue… yet.
Been setting up my phone almost completely now and it’s pretty smooth
Then I’d suggest just riding that lineage wave for some time until it breaks.
Those commands will only wipe userdata / encryption metadata completely in the best case and in the worst lead to a host of other issues.
I most definitely will.
While you’re there could you please enlight me on some concepts I didn’t quite grasp ?
For a start, regarding localisation apps: so I managed to get google maps working though I can’t login (and it seems I won’t be able too), but I had to install location providers.
My understanding is that those location providers replace Google service’s ability to provide location information.
Just which ones should I use ?
Is there any point in installing several of them ?
I currently installed: mozilla, applewifi, deja vu, GSMNetworkLocationProvider, Nominatim
Can I assume that the more of them installed, the more precise the location will be ? Will it significantly drain my battery ?
What about sattelite localisation ? I still don’t understand why my phone would not be able to get location information when it has an integrated GPS ? Can’t it work on degoogled phones ?
GPS should still work without problems, those are used to get a faster fix or location information in places where GPS isn’t available.
More ≠ precise in this case, there’s sadly no real logic to which one takes precedence. IIRC the fastest one is used
As for which one to choose, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, I think this wiki (a bit old) provides a great overview. As far as I can tell, the most up to date one is LocalGsmNlpBackend and that’s the one I usually use, mostly because it’s easy to contribute to with Tower Collector and the database is available offline.
Wifi based ones have been buggy for me in the past, sometimes the location would end up two towns over, cell towers rarely move
Edit: Maybe this topic should be split now above this post and turned into a more general one discussing building lineage etc.?
Edit 2: Thank you @robbert.f that was fast Would it be possible to move the first post back to the other topic, otherwise that one ends without the solution. Nevermind
I generally keep it plugged in and release Power as soon as the screen turns black, then just keep holding up or down until you’re in the desired mode. Bonus tip: Pressing Vol. Down during the boot animation (that blue dot) will boot you into Safe Mode, really useful if you messed up some Magisk configuration as this will disable all modules.
can't find file to patch at input line 3 Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option? The text leading up to this was: -------------------------- |--- a/src/com/android/permissioncontroller/permission/utils/Utils.java |+++ b/src/com/android/permissioncontroller/permission/utils/Utils.java --------------------------
since the files it’s trying to patch don’t exist.
Do I only need to use the other patch or did I miss a step?
I would gladly contribute, but to be honnest this is my first ever custom ROM build - kind of a little event in my concern - and I wouldn’t really know how to contribute.
I only but followed the procedure written by @Error so I didn’t really achieve anything I could take credit for ! I didn’t modify a single file from the repo in the process… (I’m just starting to mess with the manifest to create a gApps bundled version but that’s about it)
I just didn’t apply the second patch, only the first and continued. LineageOS built successfully, I checked the installed-files.txt file in the output directory and it says that /system/app/FDroid/FDroid.apk and /system/app/FDroid/FDroid.apk are installed, so I guess it worked.
I’d be interrested to know more indeed.
I’m trying to bundle pico Gapps to the build, following this guide .
Well a lot of things didn’t go as planned and I was able to fix some of them but there’s still a bit of work ahead
That sounds like UnifiedNLP acting up. Try disabling all location providers and see if the problem persists
You can also use GPSTest to download time data and improve the time it takes to get a GPS fix.
Againg, you were right, thank you ! I should never trust internet; I tried enabling/providers but always kept Mozilla one as there seemed to be some kind of consensus on the web according to it being mandatory. Turns out it was the one messing with my location.
That FOSS device is starting to be usable after all !
Although I’m not sure if the latter is necessary for the build.
MicroG’s self-check reports that everything is fine.
The phone warns me about using test keys (duh).
The only thing that’s different is that the camera looks worse than before - 12MP instead of 48MP and no access to the wide-angle camera. I’m thinking about bundling their camera app as a system app and seeing if it works.