Bright spot on the display

Ok, I can understand that. My display definitively took longer to evolve the bright spot (actuallly, it’s two spots: another smaller one 2 cm right to the mentioned one).
And it’s mainly visible on white background so far, i.e. not really annoying yet.
Let’s hope Fairphone will be able to find (and fix) the reason soon.

I’ve been wondering the same. But since Fairphone asks us to send back the faulty display, I imagine they test them and that I would have heard from them if the problem wasn’t reproduced on another phone. I imagine (or at least hope…) that this possibility has crossed their mind and that it’s been ruled out.

My original display evolved some bright spots, they changed it, the spots began again after a few days. Now they replaced the core… Hope the spots are gone now!

i too have these. It’s annoying and doesn’t look nice on bright screens, but I hate bright anyway.

I just want to mention that I have the same issue. Bought my FP2 beginning of January. Will keep it like this and see if it gets worse or if I get used to it…

Is there anyone with a Fairphone that doesn’t have the bright spots issue, I wonder??

3 Likes

Me, but I only had the phone for about two months now :wink: .

1 Like

I really hope you don’t get them too but i can’t help but worry… Maybe keep us informed?

Hi there

I have exactly the same bright spot at the same location on my screen than @gmarcon (here sorry I can’t get a good photo showing the problem)

Mines are a little less bright, but they are exactly at the same spot and with the same “reverse-L” pattern

I’m pretty certain that’s where most people’s are. I’m not really that technical but I’d have thought it would be quite easy to work out what components/parts are in that particular area and, therefore, potentially causing the issue?

Guys. I can confirm this. On my FP2 which i bought in Juni 2016 i had 1 big and 1 small white spots - contacted support and got an replacement display. Later (March 2017) the Replacement Display showed the same problem. One light spot. Contacted support for replacement.

I also have to contact support because the issue reappeared.
I really hope that there is a final solution for this problem, because I am not looking forward to send in my display again and again in order to get it replaced…

I’m really sorry to say that this recurring issue along with a rebooting
problem and general inability to handle multiple tasks forced me to
return the phone for a refund. It’s a real shame as I really want to
love Fairphone and all that it stands for. Having said that, I found FP
customer service to be faultless in every way.

In my very own opinion this issue is highly overrated. I too have a faint little white spot on one of my 2 FP2. In my usage cases it is only visible on a bright white background and only when I look for it, so in everyday use I barely stumble upon it.
To support the idea of sustainability, to let spare parts go where they are really needed, to reduce pollution, protect the environment and at least even the ressources of fairphone - which are probably needed to continue business and maybe to come up with new modules - I’ll stay with it.
It is not that hard.

Just my 2 cents…

4 Likes

I appreciate what you are saying and I was able to cope with one feint
spot but, over time, it developed into three distinct patches which were
visible whatever colour the screen was. I realise this in itself is not
the end of the world but, coupled with the other problems I mentioned,
the phone was on the verge of becoming impractical for daily use. I
still follow the forums and emails and am very interested in the
progress of FP and I haven’t ruled out the option of revisiting it in
the future.

1 Like

@Douwe I know you are busy to host EFCT17, but just out of curiosity: was that issue with the bright spots solved in newer batches of the display?

3 Likes

I had the same three bright spots like on the photos posted above on my screen followed by touch malfunction. After only two weeks they started to appear again on my replacement screen.

For the sake of saving resources as well as my and your time, please give an update on the issue FP team!

That’s exactly what I was thinking, when I read of all those people changing the display 3 or 4 times. On a bright white background the shining “spots” are not just spots, but could be said to form a nice pattern.
But hey, it’s just a phone to me. So I don’t care. I don’t do any photo-editing, graphics or painting. And even with videos it’s no problem.

I guess, that once you spot them and are annoyed by them, you start - unconsciously - to look for those bright spots and tend to get more and more annoyed all the time; as they obviously do not go away. But of course it might depend on the usage of the phone.
I sure will forget about them, as soon as I have posted this.

Could it be, that the spots develop due to pressure? Maybe the areas, where they show up are those more prone to higher pressure when the phone is moved and twisted? Just because some reported such spots on other phones as well.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any official response so far, but I heard they are aware of the issue and were considering switching to a different manufacturer for screens. I don’t know however what the current state is, but it has been taken seriously. For now the ‘solution’ is a warranty replacement of your screen, but it probably won’t be like that forever.

1 Like

Well, I guess, one could call a display with bright spots defective. (Even if it does not bother me, it does so for many other people.) And in that case, as long as the problem arises within the 2 years time of warranty, a replacement (for free!) is the legal option (I guess according to Dutch law as well.
It is no act of goodwill, those displays are being exchanged by Fairphone.

Everyone has just to decide for him-/herself to “draw this card” and get a new display or (like me) live with it.

I really hope for Fairphone, that they will find a more reliable manufacturer, that deems them as important a customer as any of the global players and therefore applying the same level of quality control.

5 Likes