Bootloop after Marshmallow Update

Well if you didn’t disable the Google App or rooted your device before upgrading go to #dic:recoverymode to perform a cache wipe. After that the app optimization process should work (may still take 2 or 3 times).
If you did disable the Google App, rooted your device or the cache wipe doesn’t help there is unfortunately no other way than to do a #dic:hardreset.

Sigh. Disabled the Google App and now my lovely updated phone has had to be wiped clean. AH well…

@ChuckMorris Just happened to me, how did you get out of it again? I updated to Marshmallow, then disabled the Google App and a couple of seconds later the phone crashed and was caught in a bootloop…

I think it’s a good idea to set the Assist app to None before you disable the Google App. I edited the Wiki post to make that clearer.

Unfortunately, if you are already in the boot loop because of disabling the Google App it is too late. You have to wipe the phone. At least I am not aware of any other solution.

4 Likes

Somehow funny that all depends on an app. Have not tested this or had the developers create this dependency, because otherwise there is trouble with Google? :confused:

A post was split to a new topic: FP2 stuck on “Change is in your hands” screen

Sorry, but are you guys fucking kidding me :neutral_face: .

I updated properly, switched off the Google Aps, did not receive any warning from my phone / Android, and now I would have to whipe my whole phone?!

Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Tell that to Google. It’s certainly not our fault.

I understand, and I am not blaming you / FP for the fault, but a warning in the FP-updater would have been nice…

Just for my info: it means I will lose everything that is not saved on my SD-card? Pictures, movies, sounds, everything :s ?

Today’s update refuses to update with disabled Google app. The accidentally offer last Wednesday came without any warning.

But I updated today. So the app was enabled. After the update was done, my phone functioned normally.

Then I switched of the Google App, then went to the proximity sensor, recalibrated it, it asked me to restart the phone, so I did, and since then it’s in a loop.

1 Like

Can’t you reboot into recovery and save your data partition so you won’t lose pictures, movies, sounds,…?

Not even rebooting is an option: when I press the power and the volume-up button, it shows me the Android-robot with a red warning-triangle in the middle, saying ‘Geen opdracht’ (which is Dutch for ‘No task’)…

Then (when you see the lying robot) press power button and then also press and release vol up button. Then you’re in stock recovery.
Maybe better is to use fastboot to boot TWRP recovery.

Hey, thanks a lot, that worked.

Uhm, I’m not an expert in this at all. So I did reach the Android Recovery menu, not sure how I could now make a back-up? Should I re-insert my SD-card; could I copy everything to there? (and what is TWRP?)

Thanks in advance!

I think flashing TWRP will cause boot-loops again with the next update - Android 6 doesn’t seem to do good with any modifications.

Maybe a weird question: but is it not somehow possible to reupload the old Android version?

I’d not flash it. Just boot TWRP. Then you can copy your data to the external sdcard.

2 Likes

Sorry guys, what is flashing and what would TWRP be?