Bluetooth audio bug on Android 12

Hello,
I am having the same issue. Updated my FP4 to Android 12 on February 12 and my Jabra Elite 3 ear buds refuse to play sound. Bad reminiscence to my Fairphone 2 times when seemingly every component stopped working within 2 years time …
[UPDATE]

developer options → bluetooth-audio: codec → SBC: works
developer options → bluetooth-audio: codec → aptX: does not work (despite the ear buds supposedly supporting this codec)

I had the same problem with Sony headphones after upgrading to Android 12. Most of us are not into the technical details, we just find that our headphones are not working. It has taken me hours and hours to track down what to do - very frustrating. It would be nice if Fairphone could alert us to potential issues and work arounds when updates to software is delivered. At least I have now found this site.

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

If this issue had been known, I guess Fairphone had postponed the roll out of the update. So no prewarning was possible.

2 Likes

OK, thank you for the explanation

I just wanted to expand on the issue. I have soundcore headphones and had the same problem. I could resolve PART of it by disabling aptx for the headphones (not the preferred solution). However, even with this setting I have another related issue:

1. I am streaming some media → BT audio works fine
  2. I get a normal phone call → BT audio works fine usually
  3. call ends
  4. media automatically continues streaming → BT audio is choppy / not audible
    I can fix this by disconnecting and reconnecting to BT.
    I had precisely the same headset and phone prior to the Android12 upgrade.

Hi, after my latest Android Update, i can not use my Sennheiser Bluetooth Headphones. Phonecalls and systemsounds are working, but no music or video Sounds are working. I guess it is a Driver Problem, but i can not fix it… Help?

Hi and welcome, please read above

1 Like

I use headphones and a speaker (Vifa) that both use AptxHD and I bought these specifically for the sound quality. I have managed to stop the daily update notification that appears in the notification area. I am still however getting a screen within the main screen (ie: a Big rectangular message box that pops up) daily notification that there is an OS update and inviting me to download and install. I am NOT prepared to install ANY OS update AT ALL until the bluetooth bug is fixed. Can someone please tell me how I stop that OS update notification? Thank you everyone.

Thanks that you take the problem seriously! Tho I’m really disappointed at the moment, cause I just bought new headphones for the better listening experience, but I’ll be patient :raised_hands:

I hope the fix is almost ready ^^

I have to go into Dev settings every few days and turn it onto AAC and then my Sennys work, but it doesn’t stick. But it’s good to see this is getting fixed.

In the meantime you could try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amrg.bluetooth_codec_converter to switch the codec automagically

1 Like

Another workaround is to turn of HD-audio in the Bluetooth menu. Then you don’t need to go to developer settings all the time. It sets Bluetooth to SBC instead of AAC but the difference isn’t that noticeable on Android.

A fix for this bug is included in the latest software update.
If you previously disabled HD Audio, remember to enable it after updating.

8 Likes

I can confirm that HD audio is working with FPOS B.048

3 Likes

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. Tried it with my beyerdynamic headphones and my Cambridge DAC.
Every time I switch to aptx my Deezer App stops playing.

1 Like

Not on my FP4. I just posted the details on the software update thread

1 Like

Unfortunately the posts after mine are correct, after a reboot and a second try the aptx problem is not solved on my phone either. Actually, I do not know why it seemed to work when I tried it in the first place.

I just got new earbuds, and found that, though they connected by Bluetooth, no sound was played. I eventually discovered that this was because they were using the aptx hd codec. I noticed that this bug was supposed to be fixed in the latest update, but unfortunately it turned out not to have been, for my phone at least.

Hi and welcome. Assuming you have a FP4 with todays update, I moved your post to this topic.

1 Like

Yes, it was encouraging to see that the very problem that I had noticed was supposed to be fixed with this update, and very disappointing to find that it made no difference at all.

1 Like