đź’™ Blue heart as like symbol on the forum?

I can live with both as long as the red one is still available in the emoji supply. I do think though that red is the more natural and intuitive colour connected with the heart.

4 Likes

That.
Using blue seems rather cold-hearted :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

And why is your heart in “I❤Jesus” pink, not blue?

I see it as black/gray. I guess it’s a Laurel/Yanny situation (or depends on your OS).

2 Likes

I’m a total blue/green/white kind of person who’s very rarely much fond of the colour red, but I think in this particular case, the heart should remain red. If I get it right, we are solely talking about the like button right under a comment. It has a grey contour by default, red countour when you hover over it and turns opaque red once you have pressed it. I think if it was blue, it would not stand out sufficiently to remind you that you already pressed it. So mainly for functional reasons, I’d opt to keep it as it is.

3 Likes

Hmm… just test it: ~~https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/fairphone-forum-blue-heart/~~ Fairphone Heart – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US).
Source is here, if anyone’s interested.

5 Likes

I :blue_heart: it. .

1 Like

Screenshot taken on my FP1. I do have differently coloured hearts in my keyboard, but I think emojis cannot be used in user titles. It is the Unicode black heart (Wikipedia) in this case. Your viewport must be exchanging it with a pink emoji heart.

Edit: Emojis can be used in user titles, but I do like the black heart more.

@roboe, wow you were fast in creating an add-on! Unfortunately it doesn’t work in Firefox Mobile after a successful installation. The like symbol is still red here.

1 Like

Yup. I’ll fix that later, :+1:

It’s showing the same (pink vor red, definitively not black) ike for @TobiasF on my FP2 using Fennec, no addons or changed forum settings. Whatever my “viewport” might be and do…

It’s your operating system (or, in some cases, your web browser) that’s replacing the :heart: U+2764 HEAVY BLACK HEART with its emoji representation, as @Stefan mentioned above.
Emoji are part of Unicode (i.e. they are encoded as normal characters) and the system replaces them with its picture. Usually, emoji chars are “new characters” in empty spaces of the encoding, but in some few cases, they replace already filled characters. You can observe this behaviour e.g. with card suits:

:clubs: U+2663 BLACK CLUB SUIT
:spades: U+2660 BLACK SPADE SUIT
:heart: U+2665 BLACK HEART SUIT
:diamonds: U+2666 BLACK DIAMOND SUIT

These existed before emoji got into Unicode, and have been since emojified. A system that doesn’t support emoji will render those chars as per the font used, instead of using their emoji picture. This may be not easy to observe, because this forum software (Discourse) also replaces emoji characters it finds on replies (but not other texts like user titles) with their Twemoji picture for compatibility and consistency.

You can learn more about how emoji work and a bit of history in this favourite post of mine written by Veekun (and all over their blog, in fact): Apple did not invent emoji

5 Likes

An update is on the way, :+1: Force the update re-installing, if you want it quicker: ~~https://addons.mozilla.org/es/android/addon/fairphone-forum-blue-heart/~~ Fairphone Heart – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

It was an issue with specificity. If you are curious, some responsive media query enabled a redundant rule in Discourse with greater specificity that overrided my custom rule.

It’s just a CSS sheet with a simple JSON manifest inside a ZIP file! You should try it, it’s easier than you may think.

2 Likes

I think the :new: :blue_heart: are not just :ok:, but really :cool:!! I’d give them a :keycap_ten:/:keycap_ten:!
So don’t :zzz:, grab your :tshirt: and :jeans: and take a :seat: in the :mountain_cableway: for a trip around the :globe_with_meridians: to :greece:, or better learn (:blue_book:) how to implement them into the Forum while they’re :free:!

4 Likes

As this thread underlines an argument can be made for all 3 options. I’m cool with all 3, and I don’t find this important to spend too much time on although community branding is important.

Just a FYI: installing unpopular/unique addons aids to your unique fingerprinting and helps tracking.

3 Likes

Good catch. Check if your addons can be publicly read e.g. here. Mine are not and I forgot if that’s a default Firefox protection, part of Firefox tracking protection (I have it enabled in normal browsing too) or a feature of some of my privacy extensions.

Anyway, this extension wasn’t initially designed to be used permanently, but just as a proof of concept, i.e. temporary. Although its usefulness can be extended.

2 Likes

Or at https://panopticlick.eff.org which includes e.g. system fonts.

2 Likes

That one just got me! :joy::sweat_smile::ok_hand:

Sorry, but did I miss the decision-taking? If this is rammed through at will like this, why start a discussion at all? This is abuse of power.

5 Likes

So you can say you asked the community and (optionally) cherry-pick fitting parts of the discussion to justify the decision :slight_smile: .

I don’t care that much about the process, but smiley-free for the record: I don’t like the blue heart being used for this.
Image searches for “cold heart” …

https://www.google.de/search?q=cold+heart&tbm=isch

This is the association now if you like what somebody posted?
This is placing corporate identity above empathy and common sense in my point of view.

3 Likes

As I really can not put it any better, I just quote the previous postings.

1 Like