Black Screen/Booting Issue After FPOS C.073 Android 13 Update

Same thing here:

I actually returned to default stock (factory reset) because I was preparing it for my mother to use.
The phone was logged in using a gmail account and no apps whatsoever. So incredibly stock.

I thought I’d upgrade for her, so she wouldn’t have to wait. And now I as well am experiencing black screen during boot and after a minute or two, the device just shuts down.

It even interrupts the Fairphone Logo that normally would appear when booting. Just turns black.

3 Likes

I just did a wipe/factory reset from the recovery menu (holding down volume button while powering on).
Does not help, device still only shows a black screen and turns off after two minutes.

Fairphone may want to pause the rollout of this update. This is feeling serious.

5 Likes

I’ve tried installing the Factory ROM: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/18896094650513

But since I cannot boot into android to unlock the bootloader there using the unlock code (https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/10492476238865) it seems I’m stuck with an unbootable phone.

I made a support request, Keeping you posted.

Not helpful now, however one reason why I always have OEM unlocking enabled as well as USB debugging from initial set-up

2 Likes

:exclamation: I have edited my earlier post as I am getting the worrying impression that it could make FP4 users attempt a downgrade while the bootloader is locked.

3 Likes

While that might help, it’s not something I would expect from an average user before installing an official update.

Just to add: the dangerous part bricking the FP4 is trying to relock the bootloader after the manual install using fastboot.

Interestingly the new support article is again not covering that (still a bit hidden only mentioned in the manage bootloader support article) and states

Flashing with fastboot

Pros

• Works regardless of what version you are on.
  • Can be used to downgrade to an older version (e.g. Android 13 → Android 11).
  • Can be used to return to Fairphone OS from a custom ROM.
2 Likes

Well now. Suddenly I’m glad I was unable to flash Android 12. And also getting frustratingly mad “-ish” about this situation.

Why has the Android 13 ROM not been available then on that official ROM page? Why offer the upgrade without also having that?

To upload a new update always takes a bit time… However as long as your bootloader is locked it will not help you for your current issue

2 Likes

That risk is non-existent, recovery only accepts OTAs that target the right version.
Since Fairphone doesn’t publish OTAs that downgrade the system to a previous version (or full OTAs) it’s not possible to accidentally brick the phone that way (at least while the bootloader is locked).

But that also means the only way is forward, in the OPs case (and probably the others as well) that would be the next OTA update, whenever that is released …

6 Likes

I updated my FP4 to Android 13. With the success that it no longer boots. I have FP OS on it, but with an open bootloader. The installation went smoothly, but the subsequent reboot failed. There comes the hint of the open bootloader, then the Fairphone sign and then the display turns black and shortly afterwards, the phone goes out completely. Can’t you run FP OS with an open bootloader?

Greetings Martin V.

Good morning guys,
just finished my talk with Fairphone support and I will be forced to send the phone to France.

I reported the presence of this post in the forum to allow the technical team to investigate the problem based on what we have tested.

I’ll eventually update this topic when the phone will be back in my hands.

4 Likes

Did you try to keep Magisk? I regularly had problems with that and need to re-root from scratch.
This time I reboot immediately and re-rooted the system-

What you could try is reboot into bootloader, switch the active slot and try rebooting and restart the OTA.

No, I didn’t use Magisk. Sure, I can try reflash the software, but I want, that it I can start an update without any trouble.

Update from me as well: Just finished talking with the support. It seems that more and more people are calling in, reporting the same:

Updated the phone and did a restart. Just seeing the initial splash screen and then the screen goes black. Illumination stays active for 1-2 minutes and then the phone turns off.

Fairphone will send me a return label to Cordon Electronics for the phone to be reflashed (no costs included).

Greetings,
Alex

3 Likes

The question is, if you were able to boot the phone with A12 from the old slot and do not loose your config. Then you could start the OTA again to get A13. At least that is how I understand the setup with the two system slots.

1 Like

I will try it in the next time.

So I have the same issue, and now all I can do is wait for them to release the full zip on their website… wow…
I’ve been using android for at least 15 years and I have never been in this situation before - with countless shakey custom roms, modded stuff and so on I have never been bricked, but now on a stock rom doing a OTA my phone is a brick… wow FairPhone lost me as a customer now.

1 Like

Moved you over here…

Do you have a locked or an unlocked bootloader?

1 Like