Black Screen/Booting Issue After FPOS C.073 Android 13 Update

I can see phone screen on the monitor, but i cannot do anything. Mouse, keyboard and Fairphone touchscreen input don’t work.
I tried

• ORICO 8-in-1 USB C Docking Station
  • Lenovo USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
  • a monitor with USB-C input + keyboard/mouse connected to monitor

My phone is protected with pattern instead of PIN, so “space - PIN - enter” does not work. When i press space nothing happens.

any hints would be much appreciated

Hi,
I guess, that when you say, that you cannot do anything, that you see a log screen?
In my case, this screen was a little weird, as the clock wag not fully visible and I could not see anything change until I logged in.

And the login is done as follows:
Press Space
Then enter your Pin
Then press enter

You should now see your home screen.
If not, begin again with pressing space and so on.

Sometimes I needed three tries, but I got in.

Maybe that helps?

2 Likes

hi!
yes, i see lock screen and the clock with only 3 first digits.
i have pattern instead of PIN, and when i press space nothing happens.

Hm,
is it really possible not to define a PIN ?
If that is the case, i am lost, as i do not have an idea, how to enter a pattern.
Maybe someone else has an idea.

Judging by a brief web search, there seems to be no publicly known solution for entering a pattern with external keyboard/mouse if you can’t see the screen. :frowning:

1 Like

Hey everyone, thanks for all the valuable input so far! I encountered the same problem after the update, so I followed the steps in option 1 and could eventually access my phone again through a USB-C dock. I also unlocked the bootloader successfully but when trying to install a fresh copy of Android 13 I am encountering some strange behavior. My device shows up correctly in fastboot mode:

$ sudo fastboot devices
5******9	      fastboot

However, when trying to run the installation script, the script first validates the integrity of the package correctly but stops because it cannot find a phone in fastboot mode:

INFO: Looking for connected device(s)...
flash_fp4_factory.sh: 102: [[: not found
-en 
WARNING: No Fairphone 4 found in fastboot mode.
WARNING: Make sure that a Fairphone 4 is connected.
         Do you want to look for a Fairphone 4 again? [(Y)es/(n)o]:

I already tried different USB ports and different USB cables. Funny though, an installation of Android 12 works like a charm without any problems… So I am stuck with a phone with Android 12 but cannot seem to upgrade to Android 13 in any way… Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

This to my knowledge happens when you execute sh flash_fp4_factory.sh instead of ./flash_fp4_factory.sh or bash flash_fp4_factory.sh on a script file that uses bash-specific syntax.
Is that what happened?

If not, which linux distribution do you use and how did you start the script?

3 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot! That was it, never knew that there was a difference. Guess you never stop learning :wink:

1 Like

Does someone know if the Update to TP1X.C.079 is safe? I don’t wanna lose all my data again.

It is recommended to make a backup before updating.

3 Likes

I’ve installed the update and experienced no issues. I was affected by this problem with the update before.

2 Likes

No issues here. Was not affected before.

no backup, no mercy :stuck_out_tongue:

No issues here but didn’t experience any issues with update to A13 either even though I’ve tried several custom roms in the past.

Updated a little over a week ago and everything seems to work just fine so far.

It also updated my phone from A12 to A13, despite not mentioning anything about that in the description. I guess it’s the A13 update for those using some flavor of Orange (FR, BE, etc.), and who (fortunately) weren’t eligible for the official A13 update.

I managed to do that with adb sendevent some time ago. I had a mobile with broken screen and was lucky enough to have adb enabled. scrcpy should then do the rest.
But without an active session of ADB not a chance I’m afraid.

A post was merged into an existing topic: My new fairphone suddenly turned off and won’t turn on

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: SOLVED ! Bootloop, stuck in reboot and erratic battery charging

A post was merged into an existing topic: SOLVED ! Bootloop, stuck in reboot and erratic battery charging

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.