Battery not fully charging to 100%

I’ve had a Fairphone 2 for a bit over 2 years now. The life of the original battery was dying, so I bought a new one on 2018-May-11. This was generally working fine until the last month or so.

Now I have problems charging the battery and when it is plugged into charge, sometimes it doesn’t get to 100%, and often it flicks between charging and not charging. I have tried different USB cables and power adaptors and have the same effect.

Last night I put the phone on charge overnight (about 21:30 or so) and then didn’t move it until 08:30 the next morning. It charged well until about midnight, then didn’t charge any more - just stopped at about 92% or so. Please see attached screenshot.

Does any one have any suggestions / help / similar experiences?

(I know there are many posts about battery life, but I couldn’t find any like this!)

Many thanks,
Nick.

1 Like

Well, it’s normal that at about 90% the phone loads slower. But due it shouldn’t even go down… Maybe there was an app starting to drain power at that time? You might try out using an app like Ampere to see what’s happening while you’re above 90% and level no longer increases…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’d not come across Ampere - I will give it a go. Sounds like a really useful app for experimenting with cables and chargers!
I don’t think there were any apps starting over night - is there any way of checking do you know?

2 Likes

Sorry don’t know if there’s a way to check that…

It may help to clean up the connector, because it catches a lot of dust. I do this whenever I feel my charger fits loose. Don’t use any metal tool or chemical product: just cut a piece of paper (somewhat sturdy) in a V shape and use it like a toothpick.

It doesn’t occur to me anything about the trouble with above-90% charge, sorry.

2 Likes

Thanks - I will have a go at cleaning it. I see what you mean.

1 Like

Thanks Volker - Ampere is really useful. I’m still experimenting, and getting anything from 70mA to 1000mA on the readings. Do you know what I should expect to get, plugged into the mains (230v)

Thanks for the help!
Best wishes,
Nick.

My experience is that it depends a lot from your USB cable and even more from the power adapter. Anyway I think 1000 is good, 70mA is really bad (although have in mind when your above about 90% capacity about 100mA might be normal). I’ll try to check again next time I’ll charge…

Thanks for the replies. After much fiddling, I can get ~1000mA, but usually somewhere between 500mA and 800mA. I do wonder if it is a dodgy / loose connection within the bottom module in the phone. Has anyone has a similar issue before?

I also still need to try other wires, which I hope to be able to do soon!

Best wishes,
Nick.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.