Battery-Lifetime is reduced after update to Cherry 1.6

as said, especially the google apps we use parallel, however I will try what turning google sync off will do.
Especially your last hint is a good one. I am kind of ashamed that I did not think of. To find out if the battery is the reason this is great.
Thanks alot.

But be aware if you swap the batteries, that android will probably note it (serial number?) and make new statistical/reference data. So again here I would recommend to test it for at least 3 load/unload cylces.

Before the cherry update I was getting to around 40% on a typical day and by the time I go to bed it would be stuck on the 14%.

After the cherry update I am roughly getting to around 60% by this time of day and by the time I go to bed I’m down to around 25%

So for me this is working as expected - I use a fair bit of data, wifi, sms and calls throughout with heavier data loads during the evening as one would expect.

Last night I did manage to get my FP down to 1%. Wow! I’d never seen that one before :wink: but it was on a lot of long calls and used a lot of data last night

One thing to add to our problem. Again this morning battery was at 5% after leaving it at eleven pm with 65%. So now in the morning I took a screenshot of the battery status. very linear decrease of battery load. However what I never saw on my Fairphone is the complete homogeneuos colouring of the mobile signal (the only event seen at the i of signal was a deaktivation of the sim for 2 seconds to see something). Could this give a hint to the underlying problem?
This is the phone with very low battery lifetime:

To compare, this is mine:

This might indeed be helpful! It indicates a problem with software or mobile modem and power, not battery. Could you show us the list with the apps with largest battery usage?

You mean the short list on the overview page of the battery stats? there are only four entries: mobile-standby (around 50%), standby (approx. 20%), display and last but not least WLAN. Or is there somewhere a more detailed list?

1. Again I recommend to use “Better Battery Stats”. It uses the Android log-data but displays it in more detail!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

Post a screenshot of the “partial Wakelock” summary and of the “CPU States” after such a night!

1. Already tried to disalbe WLAN during night?
  2. Already tried to disable the SIM during night?
  3. From your screenshot it looks that you have a bad provider coverage at your place where the FP is stored at night…That will influence the discharge rate - BUT: not that much like in your case.

Please try first 1)! Cheers, Robert

I will check the app you mentioned, yesterday i did not find it. Thanks for the link. I will try to disable SIM over night. WLAN does not seem to be a problem. As well as the coverage: Both phones have the same provider (although mine has two sims from the same provider) and both phones stay at the same place over night.

No, that is exactly the list i am talking of.
I currently have Screen 53%, Cell 25%, Phone idle 14%, Wifi 8%, System 2%.
I was interested in the percentage for cell (mobile) standby.

Did swapping the battery have any effect?

an increase of the cell percentage from 25 to 40 % it think should not produce this drastic change. And infact I do not see big differences to my list (the increased cell will be a result of the infact not that godd coverage within our flat).
actually I did not try the swapping yet (as it may take 2 days to see effects).
according to rob I will give the betterbatterystats a try to give you maybe more infos tomorrow.
Thanks all of you, Malte

Ok next round.
This night as already seen, even a bit worse. Just to mention again this is FP1 second batch with cherry 1.6 including google apps, wlan on, data on, gps on, etc. I know some of these things can be shut down, but just 5 cm next to it lays my FP1 first batch with same features/settings (the only thing I can think of I use Mail App with IMAP my wifes second batch uses GMail). Yesterday my wife told me that in our holidays last week in france (data roaming off) battery lifetime was perfect. But I really dont get a clue what is now responsible for this battery leak.
Here now comes screenshots from normal battery app and the suggested betterbatterystats:

I spy with my little eye nothing very obvious, how about you folks?

Thanks in advance,

Malte

OK, thanks for the Screenshots…

Obviously there are no very LONG wakelocks (2/3/6 mins seems not too bad), but on the other hand the COUNT of them are very high (2054 / 410 /1517 / 1004 times).

The screenshot (=since unplugged) was only at night without longer usage?
If yes: the CPU state of 1,2GHz (=max boost) with 42min seems very long, 7h25m in Deep Sleep looks good.
Just a thought: if your CPU is very often ramped up by this high counting wakelocks (much more than 5000 times a night, each with some seconds of max. CPU power), it could bring you down very fast your battery.
But on the other hand: 1h of playing a game with max. CPU power should not bring you down from 50% or even 100% to 5% battery - should it? (Never tried it with my FP1)…

My next step would be to look in to the high counting Wakelocks (look for descriptions with google or in the XDA forum), and check if one can fix this by disabling certain settings in Android/Apps…

Maybe you can also make the same screenshots with your well-behaveing FP?

Next I would try my previous recommendations: WLAN / GPS / SIM off to get into the secret.

Unfortunately I will do 2 weeks of holidays from now, and therefore I hope that some other users will help you further!

Good luck and cheers, Robert

Its me again.
So it took now quite a while to have some more clue what is going on. In fact the reason seems to be something with the WLAN traffic or even WLAN hardware. At least the dramatic leak of battery only appears when the phone is connected to our WLAN at home. However the logg data in battery stats does not appear elevated for WLAN. So i am afraid this could also be due to hardware problems? On the other hand battery lifetime is restored when phone does not have a connection to WLAN (with WLAN switched on). But I really cannot find any setting/app which could be responsible for to much data traffic and as said the battery stats and even the connection stats do not show something of interest here…
Should I do a factory reset here?

Thanks Malte

@maltebtz - a hard reset may help, but first there is a wifi settings that may be appropriate to check/change first. If you go to Settings > Wi-Fi click the settings button and then choose Advanced.

There are 2 settings here that you might want to play with:

• Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep, you can change this to Never, Only when plugged in or Always. It does however mean that if data is being used that you will be charged more or use more of your data allowance with your provider. I would suggest using the Data Usage tracking with this setting to monitor

• Wi-Fi optimization, when this is ticked it uses less battery when Wi-Fi is switched on, you do get a slower connection though although I wouldn’t say it’s very noticeable to be honest!

For the first time since I’ve had my Fairphone, something similar stated in this post happened to me. My phone went from 33% to 14% tot 4% to 1% to shutting down in less than 5 minutes. I’ve had the Cherry update for a couple of weeks now, and this is the fist time I’ve encountered this problem.

yep, same here. since the update to cherry 1.6 that has happened a few times. never before.

unfortunately I already checked everything I could guess of and compared settings with my FP first batch. Of course maybe I forgot something, but at least Wifi settings was in my guess. And to remember the battery stats only states WLAN to be 16% responsible for battery loss.
Maybe I will try the hard reset…

Hello,

I wold focus on this point.
Two experiences I have made with Mail Programs:

1. I used Kaiten on my Phone for years without any problems. One day my battery began to drain much faster then usual. After some reseaches I found that Kaiten waket my phone very often, some googleing later I learned that this App does this sometimes on random devices and nobody knows how to fix it. So I switched to Aqua Mail and fixed the problem for myself (but still like Kaiten more).
  2. A friend was wondering that her default Sony Mail program occurs much mobile traffic. She uses IMAP and the program was set to use push notifications. After changing to K9, her mobile traffic was realistic again.

The think I want to say is: Don’t misprize Mail Applications, they do funny thinks and can effect your described symptoms. Try to change the App for a while, just to impose this option.

regards,
Shiny

Hi All,

it’s not getting better than this.

But it’s okay for me.

Greetings
Olli