Battery life in LineageOS

I have been testing different configurations of the Wi-Fi settings and checking the battery usage

1. Wifi off
    Wifi on during sleep: never
    Treating wifi as metered network
    Data saving enabled then dissabled

2. Wifi on
    Wifi on during sleep: never
    Treating wifi as metered network
    Data saving enabled

I used the phone more in the second part. The last part of this last one is having wifi on during sleep on.

My conclusion is that using data saving will save a lot of battery with wifi (even active during sleep on) or with data network. In both cases it lasted about 18h-20h.

Edit: however is strange how much is Awake in the 2nd setup. But it doesnt seem to have impact in the battery usage

Thanks for the tip with data saving mode. I also had the impression that switching off the mobile data of my second sim had an impact on battery.

But still the major problem that I also have at the moment is that after a while of using CPU gets more and more hot even though there are no special apps or so running. At the moment my CPU is quite hot while just using Firefox nothing else…

This one is without data saving.

First using WiFi with sleep mode never then I changed to always and it didnt make any difference and the last part was using only data network, no big difference either.

The phone is not always awake, even less time than using data saving but the battery is drained at higher rate.

Looks like the 20170803-release does not have this behavior. Could somebody else flash this one and check as well to confirm (make twrp backup first!).

Then it’s related to the new blobs that we’re introduced in the building to support the new hardware.

2 Likes

After some more observation, I have the impression, that battery drains quickly when “mobile network signal” is yellow, orange or red… could this be a reason (btw. what do the colours mean?)?

Or is it maybe just a general problem of FP2 as the issues of “hot cpu and battery drain” are also reported for other OS?

Hi. After LineageOs I installed Greenefy app too. Now I have an autonomy of 2 days (!), despite having downloaded the cards of Osmand ~ and Sitytrail.

2 Likes

impressive. i will give it a try to greenify, any suggestion in the setup? are you using wi-fi when sleeping?

I started with full automatic setup, I bought the paid version a year ago. Now I’m trying personal settings, to make Waveup and MacroDroid more responsive, and autononomy is less impressive.
I’m not sure I understand your question about Wifi

I want to share my experience nearly two weeks ago I installed the 14th.Aug OTA update and uninstalled Greenify, as it was mentioned that

Pretty much right away I left the country for a weekend break. So the FP2 was on roaming with data roaming deactivated. I haven’t rarely used the phone but it was almost always connected to a very slow wifi. Network strength was mainly bad. Surprisingly the battery lastet for 1.5 days, I couldn’t belief it. This led me to the assumption that the problem is strongly related to the availability of mobile data usage.

As I returned home I tried to reproduce it but battery lastet mainly for less than one day.
During the last days the battery has been able to last for more than a day and this time I have got some BBS stats (logs area attached but you have to remove the .pdf extension) as BBS doesn’t store any data it only reads the logs since the last boot up. I’m still running on BASEBAND VERSION 4436.1-FP2-0-04 and haven’t deactivated Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep.

Besides this I noticed that the battery level is not the same when the phone is being charged and switched of and the level indicated when the cable is unplugged and the phone startet. I assume a recalibration is needed but how?
Can we agree here on common method?

FYI There might be alternative for BBS, what is explained on PROJECT BETTER and on AllianceROM in a nutshell. Batterystats and Battery Historian Walkthrough on Android Studio, what seem to deliver better graphics/trends.

Here are the screens shots, when it’s too much I can remove some.

1. 24.Aug.17 - expected battery duration 1.5 d - roaming but data roaming off, WIFI in sleep on

2. 24.Aug.17 - almost dead after 28 h - roaming but data roaming off, WIFI in sleep on

3. 25.Aug.17 - 1d later, expected battery duration >2d - roaming but data roaming off, WIFI in sleep on

4. 25.Aug.17 - expected battery duration 2d - roaming but data roaming off, WIFI in sleep on

5. 30.Aug.17 - expected battery duration 21h - back home, WIFI in sleep on, mobile data off

6. 01.Sep.17 - battery duration 33h - back home, WIFI in sleep on, mobile data off

7. till 05.Sep, around 20h battery duration - back home, WIFI in sleep on, mobile data on
    no screen shots

8. 05.Sep, expected battery duration 33 h - back home, WIFI in sleep on, mobile data on

BetterBatteryStats Screenshots: (SPIEGEL App is my all morning newspaper, that’s why it pops up)

1. Unplugged - Summery

2 ) Unplugged - Wakelocks
  2. Alarms&network
  3. CPU States
  4. Process&Sensors
  5. Graphs
    the same as Raw Stats:
  6. Raw Stats - Summery & Alarms
  7. Raw Stats - Wakelocks
  8. Raw Stats - Network & CPU Stats
  9. Raw Stats - Process & Sensors

logcat-2017-09-06_122649292.txt.pdf (86.7 KB)
dmesg-2017-09-06_122649438.txt.pdf (123.2 KB)
BetterBatteryStats-2017-09-06_122649025.txt.pdf (215.9 KB)

2 Likes

I can confirm this observation. Last weekend I was in a place without mobile network. So I switched off mobile data. Wifi was the whole weekend on.
Battery lasted much longer than before with mobile data on and wifi off.

So it seems that could be a reason.
In addition I interesting that we have here two opposing statements

1 Like

Because it depends how you configure greenify. But normally it does not kill the app but tries to suspend it

2 Likes

@lklaus & @cortomalese, how do you think about creating a separated thread focusing only on the proper configuration of Greenify on FP2 LineageOS? That would keep this thread a bit cleaner.

2 Likes

I put the logs on pastbin:
BetterBatteryStats-2017-09-06_122649025
dmesg-2017-09-06_122649438
logcat-2017-09-06_122649292

Why not? Maybe some other people are interested

Puh, yes I am also running out of battery quite fast. I have installed the latest test build, because I am expecting the new camera module :grinning: But things going even worse. Capacity has been about 44% when switching off wifi/ network and going on fligth modus over night. Result this morning 14% battery capacity … :hushed:
I will switch back to FP Open, because I am going on holiday tomorrow…

1 Like

For the record: I’m on the latest test build (new cameras) + Open GApps pico and my battery holds up totally fine, at the moment I don’t see a difference to my previous Fairphone Open OS + Open GApps pico installation.

If somebody could give me a summary of test cases or what settings to check for comparison, I could check and report back.

Could it be that batterydrain is more related to the display? I read in bugtracker that the last change in august was related to display blobs(?). I run my phone always on the lowest brightness but still the battery use from display seems relatively high!

About Greenify: I have started using it under FPopenOS and it seems to help. This article may be of interest:

2 Likes

see here: Greenify on FP2 LineageOS

2 Likes