Battery FF3 charges unreliably

Hi,

I’m new to FF and have some issues. Bought it in the NL but live abroad where it’s not sold so getting help is not easy. And I am really not the world’s best with phones (understatement…)

The battery of my FF3+ sometimes charges well, sometimes charges very slow and sometimes doesn’t charge at all. When I restart the phone it usually start charging properly which makes me think it’s not the charger or the outlet or something (I’ve tried different ones but it’s just unreliable).

Any ideas? Would be happy to hear :slight_smile:

Hi @NoorN and welcome to the forum.

One of the things to check is resistance in the USBC port and the cable plug, it may be a very fine coating of oil or dust. You maybe able to clean it carefully with a very fine needle maybe.

It could also be the bottom module is a bit loose and each time you plug in the contacts are not quite good enough.

So where are you and can you get a friend/acquaintance in Europe to send it back to Fairphone if you have to?

1 Like

Hi @anon9989719, thank you for your reply.

I don’t think that’s the problem because the phone is plugged in, doesn’t charge, i restart it and it starts charging normally. Without unplugging it. But i will definitely give it a try! :slight_smile:

I’m currently in Israel b.t.w. I can send it back with somebody but huge hassle so rather don’t do that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an even more severe problem which is that I don’t have any device that charges my brand-new 3+. It does not charge with standard commercially available chargers or on a pc usb. I have read that it needs a particular charger listed in https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/quick-charge-device-list.pdf.
Fairphone claims that they do not sell the phone with a charger to avoid waste but in fact they are producing trouble and waist because you can’t reuse your chargers and you don’t even know this.

You can use almost every USB charger on the market, a QC3.0 compatible charger is only necessary for charging the phone more quickly.

Did you check different cables? As the phone is more picky about cables than about chargers.

2 Likes

Hi @jes and welcome to the forum.
First the phone does not need one of the chargers in the ‘list’ I don’t use one.
Secondly whereas the list shows chargers that are ‘Quick charge’ and may charge the phone 1.5 hrs, Fairphone state the charge time as 3hours.

If there were no losses then the 3000mA battery could expect to be charged in approx 3 hours from a 5V supply giving 1A

Computer outputs vary but USB 2 would regularly have a 0.5A so would charge the phone in 6 hours plus.

Basically you should be able to charge the phone with most options, just slower that the ones in the ‘list’.

You don’t mention the cable, hopefully you have tried a few of those too.

Given your frustration I can see your view, but Fairphone are not causing you any trouble, it’s your expectation and Fairphone’s ‘Fairness’ that don’t equate. I agree moreso that people don’t know what will work and what will not, and although there is info on this a) it is not blatantly obvious nor clear.

Here’s the Fairphone shpeil

Charger and cable specifications

FP3/FP3+ uses a Qualcomm SoC. Therefore, you will need to ensure that your charger is compatible with Qualcomm SoC protocols.

The FP3 will charge with any charger from Qualcomm’s official list.

A charger and cable for the FP3/FP3+ must have the following specifications:

• 5 volts (5V)
  • Minimum output of 1 ampere/h (1A, 1000mA). Be aware that this will have a slow charge
  • Maximum output of 3 ampere/h (3A, 3000mA)
  • Qualcomm Quick Charge processor compatible, version QC 3.0
  • The cable must have one USB-C connector and manufactured by a USB-certified brand (if your product has no brand, it is NOT certified).

The above is not true in that
a) it does not require a QC3 compatible charger
b) the 5v 1A may be a bit slow charging but less than 1A will also work
c) the max of 3A is not the highest and the fact that a 5V supply can give more than 3A should not be a problem as only as much current (amps0 as in needed will be used, not the full 3A or above at 5v

Ok If you really can find a friend so borrow some cables and chargers, their maybe something wrong with the phone.

Try a few more options but be ready to contact support/at\fairphone …

Source: FP3(+). Charge your phone – Support

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.